News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stuart Goldstein

Re: Trump National Bedminster NJ gets 2017 U.S. Women's Open
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »
I recently played the Old Course and enjoyed it very much.  Nice practice facilities as well.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 03:41:51 PM »
Old?!?  It opened in 2004.

WW

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 03:48:22 PM »
first step before not getting the Open...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 04:21:23 PM »
The article notes that the tournament will be on the new course, not the old

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 05:27:30 PM »

Alex,

I believe if you read the article closely it is being played on the Old. I live nearby and it is indeed a worthy venue

Wade,

I suppose the  Old and New Course designations at either Sunningdale or St. Andrews would be unfair descriptions as well?

Regardless of anyone's personal opinion of Donald Trump, an objective analysis of his contribution to the game would handily conclude he is a net positive to the growth of sustainable courses of decent quality. In a time when the game needs an infusion of growth and sustainability, and not everyone can be as fortunate to connect with great terrain like Mike Keiser, Trump's passion for golf is quite laudable.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Brad Klein

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »
I'm covering the press conference tomorrow just so I can watch Mike Davis' body language in dealing with Trump publicly.

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 01:11:33 PM »

Alex,

I believe if you read the article closely it is being played on the Old. I live nearby and it is indeed a worthy venue

Wade,

I suppose the  Old and New Course designations at either Sunningdale or St. Andrews would be unfair descriptions as well?

Regardless of anyone's personal opinion of Donald Trump, an objective analysis of his contribution to the game would handily conclude he is a net positive to the growth of sustainable courses of decent quality. In a time when the game needs an infusion of growth and sustainability, and not everyone can be as fortunate to connect with great terrain like Mike Keiser, Trump's passion for golf is quite laudable.

My apologies.

My brain immediately fixed on the picture of the island green par 3 from the New course, and as I read the article apparently I was not really focusing  :)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 02:22:13 PM »
I'm covering the press conference tomorrow just so I can watch Mike Davis' body language in dealing with Trump publicly.

Based on the photo (of Davis with Trump) and the article, it looks like the cotton-candy haired stuntman charmed both of you.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Howard Riefs

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 02:32:59 PM »

Can tell that Brad enjoyed writing this article. Glad he survived the tour of the back 9 with Trump:

If he was subdued in his five minutes speaking extemporaneously and in the follow-up question-and-answer session with reporters, Trump was more animated during an earlier drive around the Old Course with me. There are times when he can be something of the nonstop salesman, a gifted talker with a massive self-promotional mien that one might mistake for hucksterism except that it’s genuinely conveyed, and he obviously believes every word he says.

http://golfweek.com/news/2012/may/03/klein-trump-humbled-womens-open-choice/

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

mark chalfant

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 03:10:42 PM »
Glad to hear this. The Trump old course has a solid routing over very nice terrain. A thoughtful  balance of varied challenges and picturesque scenery.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »

Can tell that Brad enjoyed writing this article. Glad he survived the tour of the back 9 with Trump:

If he was subdued in his five minutes speaking extemporaneously and in the follow-up question-and-answer session with reporters, Trump was more animated during an earlier drive around the Old Course with me. There are times when he can be something of the nonstop salesman, a gifted talker with a massive self-promotional mien that one might mistake for hucksterism except that it’s genuinely conveyed, and he obviously believes every word he says.

http://golfweek.com/news/2012/may/03/klein-trump-humbled-womens-open-choice/

Master of the Links:

As always, we thank you for the link.  As for Brad's comments, which do reflect that he let himself get taken in a bit, I think hucksterism is aptly used in the description of this gasbag, independent of the appropriateness of the venue for a great golf event, which I don't dispute.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Brad Klein

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 07:22:12 PM »
Terry,

I have spent a lot of time with him at various places over the years, in offices, on golf courses, and on the phone, and have written my share of very critical things (Ferry Point, Trump International-Scotland). Today he was at his best, and nobody can doubt his love of the game and that he takes golf seriously, even if you completely disagree with his aesthetics (which I often do). When you see people in different circumstances you appreciate that they have more complex characters than portrayed in the media. Trump complicates things because he is so good at portraying himself that way in the media. but even he has more depth than that. Or at least can convey more depth than that. If you read that piece carefully I don't pretend for a second to try to distinguish between what's real and what's an act. I doubt even he knows.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 10:55:43 PM »
Terry Lavin,

I think you have a preconceived notion and can't come to grips with the fact that he's very smart and gets things done.

You're too locked in on his iconic persona to see how accomplished he is.

Sometimes, you have to give the Devil his due.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 08:59:55 AM »
Does this course have any memorable elements to it?  It seems to be that the Women's game has a disturbing absence of any sense of place or memorability.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Dave Falkner

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 08:12:32 PM »

Sometimes, you have to give the Devil his due.

I'd like to give him the same hair cut he has given to his subs

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
I will be really interested to see how they set the course up for the ladies as I thought it was a very tough track, especially some holes on the back. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back