News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Ober

River Crest in Fort Worth, Texas
« on: May 20, 2012, 02:47:02 PM »
Just played it with some buddies. LOVED it!

Lots of "strategery" off the tee. Wish the grrens had been quick. Would have been a real test. They were true as can be, but running about 9.5 or 10, and I wasn't afraid of any of the holes I should have feared. Especially loved the par-5 14th and the par-4 7th.

You realky need to think off the tee on this course....

mike_beene

Re: River Crest in Fort Worth, Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 06:48:24 PM »
The greens will get quicker in the fall and winter.How tight did it feel?I have been to the clubhouse to eat but the people who play there seem to take their guests to a second club such as Shady.I hear there are some cool holes.It is a pretty neighborhood. See, A Dallas boy can say nice things about Ft Worth.

Pete Balzer

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 08:22:51 PM »
It's been 15 yrs? since I played it, but what I do remember, it was enjoyable. Didn't the clubhouse burn down?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 10:24:11 PM »
David, 

Was there anything about River Crest that seemed out of place to you?

Mike,

Did Bendelow do River Crest around the same time he did Lakewood?

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 12:44:05 AM »
Sam, I  don't think so.Rivercrest opened for play in 1911 and we don't have Bendelow at Lakewood until 1912. Remember he had already done Dallas Country Club,calling it the finest topography for a course he had ever seen ( not sure what topography exists there?).He was probably making those quick trips to the area.

Stuart Goldstein

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 01:59:53 PM »
I played RC a few years ago in the off season and everything was dormant.  I have to say nothing remarkable stuck out for me.

David Ober

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
David, 

Mike,

Yes, the clubhouse and the driving range!! LOL!

Also, the 9th hole seemed shoehorned in. Really like the hole, actually, but it looked jammed in there. Can't imagine that the original layout is still completely intact....

Sam Morrow

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 09:52:38 PM »
David, 

Mike,

Yes, the clubhouse and the driving range!! LOL!

Also, the 9th hole seemed shoehorned in. Really like the hole, actually, but it looked jammed in there. Can't imagine that the original layout is still completely intact....

That clubhouse is so out of character, it's really an eyesore.

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 11:21:52 PM »
Or visa versa isn't Rivercrest a nice social club that happens to have a little golf? Nothing wrong with that.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 11:23:45 PM »
Or visa versa isn't Rivercrest a nice social club that happens to have a little golf? Nothing wrong with that.

Where does River Crest rank in the hierarchy of Ft. Worth clubs? I know Colonial and Shady Oaks are above everything else, is River Crest in front of Ridgelea and Mira Vista? I am a huge Mira Vista apologist, I really like that course.

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 12:44:07 AM »
In the social hierarchy it would be the old money club if such a thing really existed in this part of the world.My perception is that Colonial more a big fairly social mix of people,and huge TCU influence.Shady more golf people and a lot of Rivercrest people play golf at Shady and eat dinner at RIvercrest.No idea about the other clubs.Who knows how accurate my perceptions are.

Greg Clark

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 04:07:02 PM »

Where does River Crest rank in the hierarchy of Ft. Worth clubs? I know Colonial and Shady Oaks are above everything else, is River Crest in front of Ridgelea and Mira Vista? I am a huge Mira Vista apologist, I really like that course.

Sam,

You are correct that Colonial and Shady Oaks are the top dogs in Ft. Worth.  I believe that Mira Vista (for sure) and Ridglea are also above River Crest.  Certainly this is the case in regards to those that join with golf as a focus.

Pete Balzer

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 11:29:35 PM »

Sam,

You are correct that Colonial and Shady Oaks are the top dogs in Ft. Worth.  I believe that Mira Vista (for sure) and Ridglea are also above River Crest.  Certainly this is the case in regards to those that join with golf as a focus.

Gotta put Starr Hollow in there as well

Greg Clark

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 11:40:40 AM »

Sam,

You are correct that Colonial and Shady Oaks are the top dogs in Ft. Worth.  I believe that Mira Vista (for sure) and Ridglea are also above River Crest.  Certainly this is the case in regards to those that join with golf as a focus.

Gotta put Starr Hollow in there as well

I've never been out to Starr Hollow, and need to do so.  It has been considered the best 9 holer in the state for several years.  They will surely have competition with Whispering Pines opening up their new short course.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:42:22 AM by Greg Clark »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 12:25:44 PM »
I haven't been to Starr Hollow, I'd be curious to hear from those who  have played it.

Stuart Goldstein

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 05:08:59 PM »
Don't know anything about Starr Hollow but how can a 9-holer be compared to these other clubs?

Pete Balzer

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 05:51:32 PM »
A little info on Starr Hollow

http://www.starrhollowgolf.com/history.htm

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back