News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

The Plantation Course at Kapalua is well known as the host of the PGA Tour’s season-opening “Hyundai Tournament of Champions.” It was also the earliest high-profile design by tree house favorites Coore and Crenshaw. The site enjoys lovely views, frequently strong winds and lots of elevation changes, the latter traits dictating much of the design. It is a pity that C&C were not offered the less severe property closer to the coastline, as that land looked much more ideal. However, in solving the various routing riddles presented by deep ravines, steeply-pitched hillsides and stiff trade winds, a number of ingenious original holes were produced. Hawaii is not an ideal destination for devout GCA enthusiasts, but there is no better place than The Plantation Course to squeeze in a game while waiting for one’s scuba gear to be delivered.

According to Wikipedia:
“The Plantation Course is unique among PGA Tour courses in several ways. It is the only course on the tour that plays to par 73; all others play to pars between 70 and 72. It is also the only course with seven holes of more than 500 yards, but at the same time is one of only two courses (Pebble Beach being the other) with six par-4s of less than 400 yards. The elevation changes on the course are starkly illustrated by looking at the 17th, 18th, and 1st holes as a set. The 17th starts atop a mountain, and the course slopes downward through the 18th, with the 1st completing the descent. These three holes play to a combined 1,691 yards for the tour professionals, with only the 18th (at 663 yards) being par-5.”

One of the world’s more scenic practice greens can be found adjacent to the 1st hole.

Please do not cue up Israel Kamakawiwo'ole’s version of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” I already heard it at the airport, in the car rental agency, and on every radio station driving thru Lahaina.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:34:43 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

Re: Kapalua -The Plantation Course: A Pictorial!!! (1st hole posted)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:09:23 PM »
1st hole: 520 yards (473-434 for most resort guests). Par 4.

Despite the rather beefy yardage on the card, driver will put most golfers through the fairway, thanks to a helping wind and steep downgrade.

The green will generally work from left-to-right and fast/firm conditions are prevalent throughout the course, despite the need for Bermuda grass. Don’t miss right.

Looking back up the West Maui Mountains from behind the 1st green, the 9th green is found just right of the clubhouse with the 18th hole coming down the hill behind it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:14:03 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:28:48 AM »
I think the second shot on #1 is one of the most difficult shots on the course.

As kyle mentions, many players will think twice about hitting driver, but at the same time even a well-struck layup could easily leave a 170-200yd approach. That plays well downhill (more so than the pictures show, naturally) but also, most likely, from a downhill lie. The shot must carry an intimidating ravine full of natural vegetation, and there is a bunker in front of the green to navigate, as well. While the course does tend to play firm, this is a shot that is enough downhill that it would seem hard to bounce/roll it in from the left, though that is a very reasonable bail-out area that would give a decent opportunity to get up-and-down.

This is a tough and memorable starting hole. (Good thing, since the same cannot be said of the next three holes, IMHO.)

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »

As kyle mentions, many players will think twice about hitting driver, but at the same time even a well-struck layup could easily leave a 170-200yd approach. That plays well downhill (more so than the pictures show, naturally) but also, most likely, from a downhill lie. The shot must carry an intimidating ravine full of natural vegetation, and there is a bunker in front of the green to navigate, as well. While the course does tend to play firm, this is a shot that is enough downhill that it would seem hard to bounce/roll it in from the left, though that is a very reasonable bail-out area that would give a decent opportunity to get up-and-down.

That is a very good point. I can imagine this working both ways, with a burst of rain and a calm winds making driver almost a necessity from the tee or very dry windy conditions suggesting 3-iron as the better play.

Such uncertainty is what makes the pro tourney so fun to watch (the players are forced to think about and play a variety of shots) and so aggravating to watch (they take forever to make a decision).

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 02:16:29 PM »

That is a very good point. I can imagine this working both ways, with a burst of rain and a calm winds making driver almost a necessity from the tee or very dry windy conditions suggesting 3-iron as the better play.

Such uncertainty is what makes the pro tourney so fun to watch (the players are forced to think about and play a variety of shots) and so aggravating to watch (they take forever to make a decision).

So true. Good thing it's such a limited-field event.

Tom Yost

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 02:32:34 PM »
The first hole provided my introduction to the visual deception introduced by the slope of the property.  My approach ended up on the back of the green and I lined up what looked like a fast downhill putt to a front pin.  The first putt went about halfway to the hole leaving me with about 20'.  Next putt again covered about half the distance, stopping 10' short.  The third putt to 5' which I then managed to knock in with my fourth putt.   As I walked off confounded, I slowly realize the green is either level or perhaps even tipped a bit front to back.

I played the course with three other first-timers, luckily, everyone with a sense of humor. Most of the day featured laugh-out-loud moments of putting failures similar to my initial four-putt.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 04:20:05 PM »
Tom mentions his putting failures and I had the same problems with all the grain and wind during my first round here, too. 

I remember during the tv telecast where they said that more 4-8 footers were missed at Kapalua than any other event on tour!

Sean Leary

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 09:18:41 PM »
If Fazio did this course would he get the same kudos it does because C and C did it?

I like it fine and think its a good course but think its tremendously overrated.

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 09:56:36 PM »
If Fazio did this course would he get the same kudos it does because C and C did it?

I like it fine and think its a good course but think its tremendously overrated.

I don't think Fazio would have built this course.  Barton Creek demonstrates a contemporaneous comparison.

As to the quality of the course, one interesting component is that despite the width and lack of water, high handicappers find the course impossible.  An 80 yard wide fairway becomes narrow when it is firm, slopes and there is a 20 mph wind involved.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 10:57:06 PM »
Do most people on the board take a cart when playing at Kapalua or do most take a caddie?  I didn't see a caddie during my trip to Kapalua, but I think the experience on many holes would be better with a caddie (if you have a shuttle between some of the longer holes).  The first hole is an interesting hole but after two shots I had to drive way off to the side, lost sight of the hole, felt detached from the entire course (as you can only see the road and jungle) and then re-emerge from the jungle right behind the green.

When walking the course this detached feeling clearly this isn't a problem (it also wouldn't have been as much of an issue if I had ignored the no carts beyond this point signs short of the ravine like my playing partners), but at a course with either a caddy or cart mandate greater attention should be paid to where the carts are routed in my opinion.  I seem to remember similar complaints about cart path routing at Dormie Club.  Could it be said routing of cart paths is something Coore and Crenshaw place very low on their priority list (often to the detriment of most golfers at courses where carts are used by the vast majority).  I'll say the routing of the cart paths had a strong negative effect on my feelings, especially on the first hole.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 11:22:12 PM »

I think my introduction points to the course's limitations. It's certainly nowhere near the quality of C&C's best courses. What I do like about The Plantation is the fact that it offers (to my mind) a truly unique experience in the world of golf. Is there another course like it elsewhere? Are there holes elsewhere in the world like the 6th, 12th, or 15th-18th?

C&C probably get more than their share of credit in this forum, but Fazio garners wider acclaim (or at least he used to) in the magazine rankings. Obviously, it is not possible to know what Fazio would have done with the Kapalua property or how his course would be perceived.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 11:24:12 PM »
Do most people on the board take a cart when playing at Kapalua or do most take a caddie?  I didn't see a caddie during my trip to Kapalua, but I think the experience on many holes would be better with a caddie (if you have a shuttle between some of the longer holes).  The first hole is an interesting hole but after two shots I had to drive way off to the side, lost sight of the hole, felt detached from the entire course (as you can only see the road and jungle) and then re-emerge from the jungle right behind the green.

When walking the course this detached feeling clearly this isn't a problem (it also wouldn't have been as much of an issue if I had ignored the no carts beyond this point signs short of the ravine like my playing partners), but at a course with either a caddy or cart mandate greater attention should be paid to where the carts are routed in my opinion.  I seem to remember similar complaints about cart path routing at Dormie Club.  Could it be said routing of cart paths is something Coore and Crenshaw place very low on their priority list (often to the detriment of most golfers at courses where carts are used by the vast majority).  I'll say the routing of the cart paths had a strong negative effect on my feelings, especially on the first hole.

I saw no walking golfers. I'm not sure how that would be feasible given the very lengthy commutes to the 6th and 10th tees. Pace of play would be problematic without shuttles at those two locations for pedestrians.

Sean Leary

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 11:36:14 PM »
Kyle,

I think you could say the same thing about a lot of cartball courses. Wolf Creek for one. Stone Eagle (which we played together) Again, I really like it and on Maui its clearly the best. But when I see it in Top 100 lists, I think that's too high.

Kyle Henderson

Re: Kapalua -The Plantation Course: A Pictorial!!! (2nd hole posted)
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 11:39:20 PM »
2nd hole: 218 yards.

Sitting on a bland parcel, the second hole is a straightforward 1-shotter defined by length and a front/right bunker complex. The prevailing wind, cant of the earth and mowing pattern all call for a running left-to-right shot. Thankfully, the green is large and has enough contours to ensure a varied experience over repeated plays

While I played in relatively calm conditions, this bunker shot to a front pin with a normal helping crosswind must be a real nail-biter.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:44:29 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 11:44:11 PM »
Kyle,

I think you could say the same thing about a lot of cartball courses. Wolf Creek for one. Stone Eagle (which we played together) Again, I really like it and on Maui its clearly the best. But when I see it in Top 100 lists, I think that's too high.

I walked Stone Eagle the day before our round. ;) It was a hike, but I think Kapalua would be at least 25% worse. Despite this serious flaw (you're welcome Melvyn), The Plantation is definitely in the Top 100 courses found in Hawaii.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:45:43 PM by Kyle Henderson »

jonathan_becker

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 09:10:20 AM »

I saw no walking golfers. I'm not sure how that would be feasible given the very lengthy commutes to the 6th and 10th tees. Pace of play would be problematic without shuttles at those two locations for pedestrians.

Kyle,

When I was there this past December, the guys in the shop told me that everyone must now take a cart no matter what.  I walked a lot of the holes and my brother drove the cart, but if you're by yourself you're riding.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 09:18:33 AM »
The good thing about that bunker shot on #2 (assuming it's not the short bunker) is that you're blasting out uphill and back into the wind which makes for an easier recovery.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 11:48:22 AM »
I walked Stone Eagle the day before our round. ;) It was a hike, but I think Kapalua would be at least 25% worse. Despite this serious flaw (you're welcome Melvyn), The Plantation is definitely in the Top 100 courses found in Hawaii.

I think there are only about 90 courses in Hawaii....  ;)

Kapalua gets a bump as it's really the only GCA-favored architect courses on offer in Hawaii.  Nanea would be in this category too, although not many get to see it.  

While it may not be on the level of C&C's greatest, there does seem to be some restraint on the golf course features because the whole thing is seriously dominated by the ocean scenery and the HUGE slopes that rule play on most holes.  I applaud restraint because of these other things are really the highlight.

What makes it overrated specifically Sean?  I don't entirely disagree with you...I think the course also gets a bump in the face of not too much competition in the state that really makes a player think.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:22:25 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jason Topp

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »
I thought 2 was a very good par three on bland property.  The slopes and the wind make it pretty much a reverse redan.

Sean Leary

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 04:25:38 PM »

Kapalua gets a bump as it's really the only GCA-favored architect courses on offer in Hawaii.  Nanea would be in this category too, although not many get to see it.  

While it may not be on the level of C&C's greatest, there does seem to be some restraint on the golf course features because the whole thing is seriously dominated by the ocean scenery and the HUGE slopes that rule play on most holes.  I applaud restraint because of these other things are really the highlight.

What makes it overrated specifically Sean?  I don't entirely disagree with you...I think the course also gets a bump in the face of not too much competition in the state that really makes a player think.

Bradford,

I have the played the course probably about a dozen times. It is a great course for what it is, as you mentioned, Insane slopes, peerless, views, incredible width. There are limitations with the greens because of the wind, of course as well. Its just not a course that gets me that excited to play, and if I am staying in Wailea, I probably won't make the drive to play it.

Nanea I am excited to play.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 01:18:56 AM »

I didn't think there were even that many. Dead pan humor does not come across very well online. ;)

Kyle Henderson

Re: Kapalua -The Plantation Course: A Pictorial!!! (3rd hole posted)
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 01:53:20 AM »
3rd hole: 380 yards. Par 4.

Climbing the hill into a hurting wind can play havoc with an average player’s mind. For those able to keep their rhythm in check, there is plenty of fairway left of the traps.

Looking back from the green, we see a large hillock set to deflect (favorably or otherwise) long drives on calm days or approach shots when the winds howl. This may also be the burial site of Leprechaun gold.

The third hole is unlikely to make any “best of” lists, and in many ways it has the feeling of a “connector hole” meant simply to bring players up the slope to reach the 5th tee. Then again, perhaps the architects should be applauded for showing restraint when others might have attempted to tease up the memorability of the hole by over-bunkering or adding large undulations (or worse yet, bulldozed the entire grade to improve visibility of the landing area). Does the ebb here help the flow of the course or detract from its overall quality? What say ye?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:57:46 AM by Kyle Henderson »

Kyle Henderson

Re: Kapalua -The Plantation Course: A Pictorial!!! (4th hole posted)
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 11:30:21 PM »
4th hole: 382 yards. Par 4.
Though similar in length to the previous hole (from the tips), the 4th climbs much more abruptly from the tee. The blind nature of this tee shot is bound to induce golfers to look up early, potentially dooming their ball to find bunkers set just beyond the white tees.

The red tees are just 218 yards from the green’s center and offer an infinitely clearer picture of the final destination. At first glance, the peripheral orientation of the bunkers seems quite penal, contrary to most of my more strategic experiences with Coore/Crenshaw efforts.

However, the right-to left slope of the fairway brings the optimal line perilously close to the starboard sand traps, lest one find those to port.

The dreaded long bunker shot will be particularly challenging with strong winds and a tilting, heavily-contoured green.

A view from the right side confirms that the putting surface means business.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:31:54 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 05:21:28 PM »
I didn't think much of the third, but the fourth is really a nice hole. It's short and has plenty of width but between the completely blind drive, the significant slope in the fairway, and the big undulations in the green it really seems like the kind of hole where good players could easily make 5 and walk away wondering what just happened that they bogeyed a wide-open sub-400 yd par 4.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 07:55:54 PM »
"Climbing the hill into a hurting wind can play havoc with an average player’s mind. For those able to keep their rhythm in check, there is plenty of fairway left of the traps."

That's a great point about #3, Kyle.  The hole go so hard into the teeth of the wind that mentally there's an urge to overswing.

Regarding #4, even though you take great photos, your tee box view doesn't show near the amount of elevation up to the fairway.  And Matthew is right about making bogey on this hole.  This is one green where your approach has to be precise or you're going to 3 putt for sure.  Putting down towards the front left hole location is a nightmare from anywhere but short.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back