News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

the wild sea behind Trevose (picture now linked!)
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:37:40 PM »
I picked up a copy of Another Journey through the Links, and on page 174 I came across one of the coolest golf pictures Ive ever seen, the raging sea of Booby's Bay behind one of the holes

http://www.leisurelinkgolf.com/images/products/2059_1_large.jpg

(another good picture on page226)

The course is a Colt design, opened in 1925 and the remains of the original Church of St Constantine are near the 9 hole course there

thoughts from those who have played there?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:21:48 PM by Paul Thomas »
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

David_Tepper

Re: the wild sea behind Trevose
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:54:25 PM »
Paul T. -

There have been threads about Trevose here in the past. I think either Paul Turner or Sean Arble may have posted a photo tour of the course.

I played Trevose and St. Endoc on a visit to Cornwall 10 years ago. After playing St. Endoc (which I really liked), Trevose was a bit underwhelming. There are just a couple of seaside holes there and the land under the balance of the course is rather tame.

DT
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:56:21 PM by David_Tepper »

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:55:58 PM »
Here is Scott Warren's photo tour of Trevose:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39753.0.html

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 02:48:07 PM »
I can only remember a couple of holes, the 4th is the star hole down to the beach, the back nine I just remember an uphill last. I think they did a lot of re-bunkering or bunkering a few years back.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »
Paul:

When I drove up to Trevose in December of 1982, the weather was just too awful to go out and look at the course -- but if it had looked anything like St. Enodoc, I would have gone out anyway.

I have seen the picture you referenced, though, and you are right about that ... it's a stunning photo.

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »
Trevose is a good course, and the seas is wild behind the fourth green.
I've seen the picture referenced and it looked that way the day I played.
Friendly welcome in the shop as well.
Better courses in the area are St. Enodoc and Perranporth, but Trevose is quite good, as is West Cornwall
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:19:20 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

Re: the wild sea behind Trevose (picture now linked!)
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 05:14:19 AM »
Trevose is a good course in a tough neighbourhood (The West Country) with a few very good 2nd tier championship courses and a few quirky courses.  I wouldn't rush back to play it again (and haven't), but if you are in the immediate area and can tear yourself away from St Enodoc it may be worth a go.  One thing I like about the place is the holiday atmosphere - quite unusual for England.

Steel has a good pic of the 4th in his Golf Links of GB&I. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 03:28:29 PM »
Can someone who's played the hole please describe it?   "Wild and wooly" would be a great start!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 03:30:04 PM by Bill_McBride »

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 03:43:53 PM »
Bill -

If you click on the link to Scott Warren's prior thread on Trevose mentioned above, you will find his description of the 4th hole:

"The 4th is a par five swinging left to an oceanfront green, with the fairway bunkers offering the greatest threat to a birdie, or even eagle. Cut off as much of the left-hand dune as you dare, but more bunkers loom, hidden from view almost until you reach them. Downwind it played for me as a driver and an eight iron, but the beauty of links golf is that the next - just 20 yards shorter on the card and played as a par four - was a driver, six iron and wedge!"  

There are also 3 or 4 pics of the hole from tee to green.

DT

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 08:44:24 AM »
Trevose is a far better course than some (many) give it credit for. A handful of holes aren't far short of links golf at it's finest.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back