News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Byrnes

Cabot Links airport question
« on: April 30, 2012, 10:04:38 AM »
Is this the closest airport to Cabot links?  Thinking of planing a trip for this summer.  When is it opening andnisntheir availability on weekends?

http://www.porthawkesburyairport.com/

Dan

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Cabot Links airport question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 01:26:40 PM »
Dan,

Port Hawkesbury is indeed the closest airport to Cabot, but you'll need your own jet to fly in there. No commercial flights land at PH. The other options are Halifax and Sydney. The latter is slightly closer but still a 2 hour + drive over to Inverness.
jeffmingay.com

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 02:26:06 PM »
Unfortunately I don't but a friend has a twin prop Piper Navajo that I can use.  So trying to schedule a time and find some friends who will go with me.

Dan

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 02:39:38 PM »
Unfortunately I don't but a friend has a twin prop Piper Navajo that I can use.  So trying to schedule a time and find some friends who will go with me.

Dan

If you can swing by Northwest Florida I will be happy to chip in on gas!

Sean Leary

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 02:59:38 PM »
You mean some of you people actually fly commercial??  ??? Ick....

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:40:41 PM »

Dan

If you can swing by Northwest Florida I will be happy to chip in on gas!

Unfortunately it runs a fair bit per hour so you'll have to fly here (Albany NY) first.

Dan

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 11:12:17 PM »
lol it is a long way from Albany too in a piper. Hope you get a nice day for it will be a beautiful flight.

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 07:19:16 PM »
3 hour flight or 18 hour drive?

Dan

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 08:32:21 PM »
Don't have a beer or two before the flight in the Piper! I made that mistake once in a Beech Bonanza going from NC to Indy fighting a headwind.

Jason Walker

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 07:32:09 AM »
Tom--

Every good (i.e. 'experienced') small aircraft pilot has either an empty large Gatorade bottle or one of these in the cockpit for those long flights:

http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/13087

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 08:24:02 PM »
Yep, I filled up all available bottles! Gallon milk jugs work great.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 08:18:17 AM »
Dan,
Port Hawkesbury is the best option (there is one closer) and you can fly direct in there from the U.S. We open on June 29th and we will be there to pick you up at the airport, look forward to having you.
Best,
Ben

Tim Johnson

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 03:34:43 PM »
Dan, with apologies for high jacking your thread but I have a question along the same lines...minus the aircraft.

My dad (80) does an east coast golf trip every year in the late summer/fall. Highland Links is his favorite course and stays there for 3 or 4 days. He has concerns regarding the driving time to Cabot Links from Highland Links at his age, this was a real concern until I found today that the lodge was now open. His original thought was the drive was 5 hours plus(The Cabot Trail) but Google Maps shows a drive time, using 3 different routes, somewhere around 3 hours.

My concern is the type of roads used by Google....are they good highways? Or regional roads?

Does anybody know the best/safest routing between these two course?

He has played over 60 links courses in England,Scotland,Ireland and after seeing his reaction to the pictures on the website, I really want him to play it.

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Tim

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »
Does anybody know the best/safest routing between these two course?
Tim,
The roads that connect us to Highlands are good (comparable to anything in Canada/U.S.) and incredibly scenic. If you father has been to Highlands before, he has traveled the most challenging part.

We are three hours from Halifax airport and two hours from Highlands.

We will look forward to seeing him.
Best,
Ben

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 10:47:45 AM »
Anyone who can get to Cabot from Highlands in two hours is either made of stone or lives on Cape Breton and drives that road all the time. The rest of us will take longer, because of copious photo-stops!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 10:53:30 AM »

I had a pilot buddy in San Francisco in the '70's who had a job ferrying new light aircraft from Oakland to Hawaii.  He called those gallon jugs "range extenders."

He is the same guy who crash landed a Piper Cherokee 6 into the DesChutes River trying to take off from Sunriver, Oregon in 1975 with my wife and me aboard.   :o   We have still never made it to Victoria BC.   Took us a diver and two tow trucks to get the plane out of the river.  Golf clubs survived.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 11:02:47 AM »

I had a pilot buddy in San Francisco in the '70's who had a job ferrying new light aircraft from Oakland to Hawaii.  He called those gallon jugs "range extenders."

He is the same guy who crash landed a Piper Cherokee 6 into the DesChutes River trying to take off from Sunriver, Oregon in 1975 with my wife and me aboard.   :o   We have still never made it to Victoria BC.   Took us a diver and two tow trucks to get the plane out of the river.  Golf clubs survived.

I want to hear that story!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 05:02:03 PM »

I want to hear that story!

You just did.  Took us three days to drive back to SF.

Barry Cohen

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 10:23:32 AM »
Ben, you mention one closer airport, can you elaborate a bit on that?  I fly a single engine Cirrus SR22T and would consider closer options, if available.

Don Hyslop

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 03:13:27 PM »
There is actually one airport slightly closer to Inverness than Port Hawesbury. It is in Baddeck, the former residence of Alexander Graham Bell and a beautiful town. The driving distance between Baddeck and Inverness is 49 miles compared to 53 from Port Hawesbury. Lots of reasonable accomodations nearby as well including the one connected with the airport.
http://www.crownjewelresort.com/aviation/

Not sure the size of planes it can handle but there is contact info.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 05:36:54 AM »
Ben, you mention one closer airport, can you elaborate a bit on that?  I fly a single engine Cirrus SR22T and would consider closer options, if available.

Barry,
Margaree Airport is about 20 miles away, while Port Hawkesbury is 50.

Best,
Ben

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back