News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Re: He's back! Top 25 in New Jersey by Matt Ward.....
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 09:32:50 PM »
Glenwild... Red Ledges... Aaaaand what's the slope and rating from the back tees?

Seriously, come back, Matt.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 11:24:45 PM »
Mike,

Other than Laurel Creek, I've played all of the courses on the list and every one of the top 20 except one in the last two years.

I've played Bayonne and Trump (old & new) numerous times in the last two years, so I feel very familiar with them.

As to Matt playing Mountain Ridge since the recent changes..... That's impossible as the changed holes remain closed and are scheduled to open this coming Tuesday.

Ron Prichard did a terrific job on #'s 12, 13 and 15
In addition many, many more trees are gone and every bunker has been redone, with some new bunkers added on # 12 and 15.

Matt has always favored Bayonne and Galloway, but neither is in MRCC's league.
Ditto both Trump courses.

As to walking Hamilton Farms, it's very difficult, far more difficult than Montclair and I've been walking Montclair for 55 years, so I feel qualified to assess Montclair.   I happen to like # 2 & 4 nines.  # 1 got ruined when they put in the tennis courts in the 70's
My nephew is the club champ there

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 07:04:57 AM »
This may be the line of the article:  " Ballyowen represent the best of NJ public golf"

My lord - if Ballyown is the best, NJ must be the WORST state in the USA for public golf, because Ballyowen stinks.   I"m 100% certain that for me, Ballyowen was the biggest waste of a green fee I've ever spent.

PS - I'm well aware that public golf in NJ is good - it's just that Ballyowen definitely doesn't represent its best - unless you think great golf is represented by 6 hour rounds and this guy:

I really disliked the architecture too.  To me it was boring and uninspired. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:15:37 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2012, 07:25:33 AM »
Tell him to hike up that skirt a little more and show the world to me, and I might be persuaded to pay the greens fee.

I confess that I've yet to play a round of golf in NJ, even though it borders my home state (which means nothing, since Buffalo is either in Ontario or Ohio~not sure which as of today). This thread is worth the price of popcorn, however. It has drama, insipid whining and scratching, gouging and other fun things you have to visualize all for yourself. It's like olde-tyme radio. Next!?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 10:02:39 AM »
Good to read about architecture....This board just isn't the same without some of the old timers and Matt is in that group.  Wish they would return...

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 10:10:20 AM »
Ron,

Bayonne is a modern marvel and a good golf course.

When you consider that the entire property was flat at 10' ASL, and that everything on the property was imported, it's quite impressive.

Eric Bergstol was incredibly creative in producing a three dimensional golf course that's fun to play, with winds that sweep the course almost constantly,  since it sits on the water
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:44:54 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »
Any one else agree with the Hollywood? I am looking for a beadh vacation home driving distance from Albany NY near a real club, not a daily fee or. National place.  I want to spend the summers there and prefer Jersey Shore to Cape Cod so I am putting the Deal area on my list to visit this year.  Aside from a great club is the area decent beach town stuff or is it too far north?

Dan

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2012, 02:30:49 PM »
Dan Byrnes - the area around Hollywood has very expensive housing.  It's a beautiful area, well out of my demographic.

I don't know what Hollywood's guest policies are...  That said, I've spied the course a few times and REALLY like what I saw.

archie_struthers

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2012, 02:43:45 PM »

HeynDan .... Hollywood is a really good golf course , though Deal might be more fun!  .  Good group of members always makes the game.

However , I'm a big South Jersey fan. You can buy a summer house from me  in Ocean City, Stone Harbor or Avalon   and play with us at Greate Bay. You can't have much more fun than we do , with plenty of good golf  action.

Plus there's Galloway , Hidden Creek and Twisted Dune  and ACCC within 20 minutes.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:33:12 AM by archie_struthers »

Ian Larson

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2012, 04:09:31 PM »
What's wrong with ACCC? You just mentioned all of the mundane Driver / 8 Iron course in South Jersey.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2012, 05:12:32 PM »
Top 5 in NJ (alphabetical)
Essex County
Mountain Ridge
Pine Valley
Plainfield
Ridgewood

2nd 5
Baltustrol Upper
Balturstrol Lower
Hollywood
Somerset Hills
Trump Old

3rd 5
Atlantic City
Galloway
Hidden Creek
Manasquan River
The Ridge

4th 5
Ballyowen (I like this course!)
Bayonne
Hackensack
Montclair
Seaview Bay

5th 5

Canoe Brook North
Echo Lake
Hamilton Farm
Navisink
Upper Montclair

Tim Martin

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 09:35:46 PM »
Guys- Where does Knickerbocker stack up?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:37:56 PM by Tim Martin »

Ash Towe

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2012, 01:32:38 AM »
Mountain Ridge appears to be a vastly improved course since the recent changes made.

Would it make a Top 100 US list now and if so where ?

Bill Brightly

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2012, 02:40:33 AM »
Knickerbocker is a very good course, you could easily put it in a top 25 in NJ list. Has a good mixture of fun short holes and strong loger holes. Scoring well at Knick is all about handling its lightning fast greens.

Mounatian Ridge can easiliy be placed in a second 50 in US.

archie_struthers

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2012, 07:16:33 AM »
 :D ;) ;) ;) ;D

Comments  from the North regarding our southern NJ  courses remind me why secession is a nice option.  Heaven forbid we sneak a few in the top tier...lol!  Don't let money and conditioning blind your eyes to good golf architecture. .

Matt has uncovered a gem that just needs some polish in Medford Village, once called Sunny Jim's.  In my youth  owner Jim Himmelein had a standing bet for $2000 if anyone thought they could break par from the tips.  The cash was at the ready and not many offered. It is a difficult and interesting trip thru the woods that few people know.

Haven't played Mountain Ridge , but I'm sure it's quite exceptional . 

Really don't get the Galloway bashing , save some carryover anti Fazio detritus.  Although the routing is a little disjointed , it's not a tough walk . There are excellent par threes, good short and long fours , and fabulous vistas !   The par fives are easy, but that's ok as the golf course is tough for most players.  Haven't played all the best courses up North but have seen a lot of them, and although the quality runs deeper, you anti southern boys have to lose that NY state of mind !  Go Flyers

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2012, 08:57:13 AM »
The fact is that for such a tiny state, NJ has more than its fair share of really great golf.   

Tim Martin

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2012, 10:23:57 AM »
Knickerbocker is a very good course, you could easily put it in a top 25 in NJ list. Has a good mixture of fun short holes and strong loger holes. Scoring well at Knick is all about handling its lightning fast greens.

Mounatian Ridge can easiliy be placed in a second 50 in US.

Bill- I thoroughly enjoyed Knickerbocker. Thanks for rendering your opinion.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »
Archie,

Why don't you come up north and play Mountain Ridge with me after May 15th.

Maybe we can get Mike Sweeney to join us.

For sporty courses Preakness Hills, which Mike Sweeney has played, is a hidden gem

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »
There's not enough love for Somerset Hills on this thread (or this board generally). Perhaps it's due to the contrasting nines, I don't know. But what I do know is that it's one of the best courses on the planet, never mind NJ!
@Pure_Golf

Tom_Doak

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2012, 04:32:44 PM »
There's not enough love for Somerset Hills on this thread (or this board generally). Perhaps it's due to the contrasting nines, I don't know. But what I do know is that it's one of the best courses on the planet, never mind NJ!

Michael:

The lack of defense for Somerset Hills could be because we all know what Matt would have said about it -- harping on the weak 18th hole and the short overall yardage -- and perhaps no one wants to bait him back into the fray.

I do think it's an excellent course but most of all I think it has one of the best sets of greens out there, and never gets its proper due for them.

Stuart Goldstein

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2012, 05:15:49 PM »
I throw some love in for Arcola (I'n not a member). A handful of new tees, a renovated #11 opened last week, beautiful new skyline green on 4, some new chipping areas makes this a vastly improved course.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2012, 06:37:51 PM »
Michael,

The reason Somerset Hills doesn't get adequate praise is that most probably haven't seen it since the tree removal program.

The difference is dramatic, night and day.

I was blown away by the transformation.

Tom Doak,

I've never understood the need for a course to have an incredible finishing hole, especially for courses that were designed when match play was king.

In addition the original 18th hole is today's 9th hole.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2012, 08:34:56 PM »
While in high school and college – say 75-83

ahh the eight-year plan

archie_struthers

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »
 8) ::) 8)

Yo Keith lay  off my homies, Barry said high school and college.  Eight years is pretty much the norm. It took me ten lol

Pat I'm in,  glad to hear you are feeling ok !    ;D >:( ;D

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2012, 04:19:05 PM »
to all those out there:

my dad just played mountain ridge today after having played there almost 50 times over the last 10 years and he was absolutely blown away
he was particularly impressed with the bunker restoration, green expansions, and he mentioned some sandy areas and new fescue.
Having played all of the best courses in NJ, his opinion was that in its current condition it is second to only Pine Valley and that it blew away our home course (Essex County CC).
I can not wait to get out there this summer when I get back from college.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back