News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Jarvis

Golf in the UK....here I come!
« on: April 26, 2012, 08:13:53 AM »
Having spent considerable time in Europe in 2006 and 2007, caddying on the Ladies European Tour, I regrettably never had the opportunity to play golf through the UK.

Well, combined with the opportunity to take three weeks off work and a low priced airfare from Australia, I’ve bitten the bullet and booked a trip at the end of May.

With a tight schedule over just 17 days, I’m going to miss out on a lot I want to see. But, I think I’ve got a pretty good itinerary, which allows me to play the links and heathland I really want to experience. Here it is…

Monday 28 May:            Arrive to London early AM
Tuesday 29 May:           PM Golf TBC
Wednesday 30 May:   Drive Wales to London – no golf
Thursday 31 May:   Wales Open at Celtic Manor
Friday 1 June:      Wales Open at Celtic Manor / golf at Royal Porthcawl?
Saturday 2 June:           Wales Open at Celtic Manor, drive back to London
Sunday 3 June:           Golf TBC or sightseeing
Monday 4 June:           Fly to Edinburgh, train to St Andrews
Tuesday 5 June:           Golf at St Andrews (Old Course)
Wednesday 6 June:   AM golf at St Andrews (Old Course) or North Berwick
                                Stay in Edinburgh
Thursday 7 June:           PM golf at Royal County Down
Friday 8 June:      Royal County Down
Saturday 9 June:           PM golf at Portstewart - TBC
Sunday 10 June:           AM golf at Royal Portrush (Dunluce) - TBC
Monday 11 June:           Royal Cinque Ports
Tuesday 12 June:           Royal St Georges - TBC
Wednesday 13 June:   Sunningdale (Old)
Thursday 14 June:   Depart London

Now for a couple of questions that many of you might be able to help me with.

Golf on Tuesday 29 May and Sunday 3 June:
I’m hoping to play at Swinley Forest on one of these two days, depending on which one the club offers (if at all). On the alternate day, I’m tossing up whether to go with Walton Heath (Old and New), St Georges Hill or The Berkshire.

At this stage, I’m leaning towards Walton Heath. From what I’ve read, its an open heathland and very different to the others. Do you agree, disagree or have other suggestions?

Royal Porthcawl:
I’m thinking of playing at Royal Porthcawl on Friday 1 June, instead of watching the golf at Celtic Manor.

Is Royal Porthcawl easily accessible via train//bus and taxi from Celtic Manor?

Dinner Recommendations:
Whilst in St Andrews and Portrush, any recommendations on spots for dinner and drinks?

I’ll be travelling solo to St Andrews and Portrush. If anyone happens to be in the area at the same time, feel free to contact me if you want meet up for dinner and a few drinks.

Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Golf in the UK....here I come!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:40:29 AM »

Ben

What no Askernish, Machrie, Machrihanish, Prestwick??? ??? ??? ??? Thought you said you want to play Golf!!!!!!

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:53:22 AM »

Ben

What no Askernish, Machrie, Machrihanish, Prestwick??? ??? ??? ??? Thought you said you want to play Golf!!!!!!

Melvyn

I intend on returning in hopefully the not too distant future. Then, I can get out and experience real Scottish golf!  :)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:48:38 AM »
Ben, there is a lot of travel involved in your itinerary.  Is your trip primarily a golf trip or a sightseeing trip?  It seems a little light on the golf.  It is nice to be in England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland but to go from Northern Ireland to south east England is bit much.  Pick one or two of the countries and play the best they have to offer.  You might even spend more than one night in a place. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 07:09:38 PM »
Ben, there is a lot of travel involved in your itinerary.  Is your trip primarily a golf trip or a sightseeing trip?  It seems a little light on the golf.  It is nice to be in England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland but to go from Northern Ireland to south east England is bit much.  Pick one or two of the countries and play the best they have to offer.  You might even spend more than one night in a place. 

Tommy,

You're right, there is a lot of travel. I'm spending the first week with a good friend of mine, who is required to go to the Wales Open for work. So, I though I'd tag along for the four days and try and get in a game at Porthcawl while I'm there. I'm also catching up with a friend at County Down for the two games there, and in Edinburgh after the two night in St Andrews.

I have a PM flight from Belfast to London, stay in London for the night and then catch the fast train to Deal the next morning before lunch and golf. I would have thought this is quite manageable, but having said that, I'm yet to do it.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 07:13:50 PM »
Ben, phenomenal itinerary! If all goes well for you we will be washed out for May (as predicted) only for it to be glorious when you arrive.

3 days at Celtic Manor watching a European tour event? That strikes me as excessive with all of the good golf in the area. I think one day would be more than enough and replace the other days with Pennard and Porthcawl. I think you should do everything within your power to make Swinley work and I would play the Red course at the Berksire over SGH and Walton Heath (either) - they don't allow single play at the Berkshire, though, so SGH may be your best bet out of those 3. Also I think you should do a 36er at Sunningdale, the New is not to be missed and should be played over the others you are considering (except Swinley).

If you want to play RCP the day before on the Sunday, I'd happily join you...

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the advice! I'm really hoping Swinley works out, which is why I'm leaving two days open as long as I need.

I was hoping to play the 36 at Sunnningdale on my last day, however the morning is out of action. If I happen to have an afternoon free, perhaps I should play the New then. I intend on walking some of, if not all of it though.

Thanks for your offer to join me at Deal on the Sunday. I'll send you a PM to discuss further.

Cheers
Ben

John Mayhugh

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Too much Wales Open.

In addition to Porthcawl (which is well worth a visit), go see Pennard one of those days you're there.  It's a bit further away, but worth it and the chance to see a different side of golf in Wales.  Go.  Your buddy will forgive you.  Well, maybe not...

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46001.0.html

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:06:07 PM by John Mayhugh »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 02:52:58 AM »
John - your photos always give me a smile!

Ben - The high speed only goes to Dover on Monday morning and you'll change onto my daily commuting train. If you get the chance play with Brian, it will be light until 9pm and you'll then get a chance to play RCP a couple of times slowly and engage more with the course. Also you'll need an extra nights accommodation....happy days!!
Cave Nil Vino

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 04:48:23 AM »
John - your photos always give me a smile!

Ben - The high speed only goes to Dover on Monday morning and you'll change onto my daily commuting train. If you get the chance play with Brian, it will be light until 9pm and you'll then get a chance to play RCP a couple of times slowly and engage more with the course. Also you'll need an extra nights accommodation....happy days!!

My flight from Belfast to London Stansted doesn't touch down until 7:30pm on Sunday 10th June. I scheduled the late flight to give me the chance to play at Royal Portrush that morning, should I be unable to play the Saturday afternoon.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 07:17:33 AM »
Ben,

Please send me a PM as I might be able to be of assistance with a couple of things.

You have a great trip lined up!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 08:57:47 AM »
I'm exhausted just reading that itinerary!

Ah to be young again...... ;D

Steve Salmen

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 10:53:15 AM »
Ben,

What's your handicap?  Do you have a game set up at Dornoch?  If not, I know some people there that may join you, maybe even take you as a guest.  Please let me know if this interests you.  I hope you have a great time.  I really love everything about Dornoch.

Steve

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »
Ben,

What's your handicap?  Do you have a game set up at Dornoch?  If not, I know some people there that may join you, maybe even take you as a guest.  Please let me know if this interests you.  I hope you have a great time.  I really love everything about Dornoch.

Steve

Hi Steve,

My handicap is currently 5. Unfortunately, I just don't have time to get up to Dornoch this time around. I was trying to but it would have meant driving up from St Andrews, staying overnight and driving back the next day. Instead, I've chosen to stay in St Andrews and will play the Renaissance Club and North Berwick either side of being in St Andrews.

Dornoch is first on the list for my next trip, hopefully sooner rather than later!

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 03:23:25 AM »
An updated itinerary as follows;

Monday 28 May:            Arrive to London early AM, optional visit to US Open qualifier at Walton Heath
Tuesday 29 May:           Swinley Forest (36 holes and lunch)
Wednesday 30 May:       Drive to Wales – possible golf in the morning
Thursday 31 May:          Wales Open at Celtic Manor
Friday 1 June:               Royal Porthcawl, drive back to London
Saturday 2 June:           London sightseeing, fly to Edinburgh
Sunday 3 June:             Renassaince Club, train to St Andrews, walk the Old Course
Monday 4 June:             Old Course
Tuesday 5 June:            Old Course
Wednesday 6 June:        PM golf at North Berwick - TBC
Thursday 7 June:           Fly to Belfast, PM golf at Royal County Down
Friday 8 June:               PM golf at Royal County Down
Saturday 9 June:           Drive to Portrush, late PM golf at Royal Portrush (Valley) or Portstewart - TBC
Sunday 10 June:           AM golf at Royal Portrush (Dunluce) - TBC
Monday 11 June:           Royal Cinque Ports
Tuesday 12 June:          Royal St Georges - TBC
Wednesday 13 June:      Sunningdale (Old)
Thursday 14 June:         Depart London

I am truly excited about the upcoming visit and the opportunity to play at each of the listed venues. I'm sure there will be plenty of photos taken and will be happy to share upon my return to Oz.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back