News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Re: On the Rocks
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 09:56:50 AM »
Sure Adam, any bounce that propels your opponents ball closer to the green or back into the fairway is patently unfair.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tom Yost

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 10:03:58 AM »
No shortage of rock features in the Scottsdale foothills area.  The one that immediately comes to mind is the namesake monolith that guards the turn point of the par 5 3rd at Troon North Monument course.

This one doesn't come into play, but provides a scenic backdrop for the green at the par 5 13th at the Rim Club (Payson AZ):

Coyote Moon (Truckee CA) has lots of boulders in play but I thought this one off to the side of the 9th fairway was most interesting:

Bill Brightly

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 04:48:09 PM »
New South Wales

Weyhill (Saucon Valley) Quarry Hole

Weyhill Hole 18

Weyhill Old Lime Kiln

Bill Brightly

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 04:50:03 PM »
Tuxedo #16

Bill Brightly

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 04:55:01 PM »
Stone Eagle

David_Tepper

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 04:55:46 PM »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 05:02:02 PM »
Literally on the rocks. 
Lookout Mountain, par 3 6th hole.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2012, 05:08:13 PM »
Dan,

As I once relayed, the 1st and 10 at FB taught me that dynamite is not exactly a precision grading tool!  I would have liked the top shelf wider, but have negotiated it myself.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Howard Riefs

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2012, 05:15:45 PM »
One of the more unusual rocky hazards I've come across was on the 13th hole at Playa Grande, Dominican Republic.

Up close you'll find this giant hole in the left center of the fairway about 200 yds out:

Let me get this straight: A cavern in the fairway that leads to the ocean?

If so, it's a new definition of a hazard.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Eric Smith

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 05:21:15 PM »
Howard,

I kid you not. Here's an aerial:

John,

Great Lookout pics.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 05:28:23 PM »
A few more:

Riviera Maya:

Greystone (TN):

Greystone (again):

Blackstone:

Barefoot (Love):

Ballybunion:

Shattuck (recently mentioned on another thread):

??:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:33:27 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Garland Bayley

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2012, 05:30:19 PM »
Perhaps Bogey's favorite.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Howard Riefs

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2012, 07:03:20 PM »
Howard,

I kid you not. Here's an aerial:

Yep. You weren't kidding.  Nice to play a hole where the aiming point is the fairway bunker.  

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

James Bennett

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2012, 08:20:39 AM »
I can think of three, but no photos - sorry.  First two in Australia, last in East Lothian (Scotland)

Alice Springs #8 - a longish par 4 played from open teeing ground to an open green, but through a rocky gulch.  Quite narrow, but I guess you take what mother nature gives you for such a hole.

Avondale in Sydney's northern suburbs.  9th is a shortish par 4 with a drop shot second, and massive boulders in the adjacent cliff edges.

North Berwick West #3, and the wall crossing the fairway.  Especially if Tony Muldoon is trying to 'flick' one over the wall.

James B

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2012, 09:23:15 AM »
Pebble Beach 7 & 18

Monterey Peninsula Shore Course's 6th green backdrop (with 11th tee nestled within it).

Cypress Point 15, 16 & 17

And if MacKenzie could have built a tee on top of this for 18...

And a point common to many holes at Meadow Club

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Harris Nepon

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2012, 09:33:32 AM »
Mark Saltzman, post some pics of the courses in Muskoka. Represent Canada.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2012, 09:36:38 AM »
This has to be one of my favorites...

Mike Hendren

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 11:51:49 AM »
I didn't care for the approach to the par-5 third and RTJ's Oxmoor Valley Ridge Course and the par-5 5th at Mike Strantz's Tot Hill Farm.  Can't find my photographs.

Bogey
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:53:59 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2012, 12:17:10 PM »

Scott Sander

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2012, 01:44:57 PM »
Kalen-

Looking at those took me sideways - by the third photo, I was 100% sure of the architect.  But it took me to the end of the series to be sure of the course. 

You'd think in that setting it'd be the other way around.  Especially since I really, really liked that course, and the setting is truly unique.

That's what alphabet bunkers and hernia greens will do, I guess. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2012, 02:22:25 PM »
It is indeed a very unique setting and I think the architect did a great job incorporating all the rock features into it.

The housing takes away, no doubt, but I'm guessing he didn't have control over that.  But in the end, it really was a very fun course to play as are all of his courses.  I get they aren't the most natural looking courses, but every single one of his courses I've played has been fun with lots of different shot requirements.

Kalen

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2012, 10:36:05 PM »
Mark Saltzman, post some pics of the courses in Muskoka. Represent Canada.

Harris, do we have any courses with rocks in Canada...  ;D

Rocky Crest

Bigwin Island

Deerhurst

Oviinbyrd

Grandview

Muskoka Bay

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2012, 10:48:10 PM »
I don't know how to post pictures - but search #12 at Battle Creek Golf Course, near Marysville, WA (north of Seattle).

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2012, 12:56:52 AM »
Some oddities, maybe not in the them of the thread per se but still rocks and golf...

North Berwick

Road Hole

The March Stones of TOC

Ailsa Craig

And why hadn't Melvyn posted this?
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2012, 12:52:33 PM »
This is the one that first came to my mind -- Troon North #3:

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back