News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

On the Rocks
« on: April 25, 2012, 03:06:47 PM »
Looking for photos of your favorite rocks on a golf course.  Often derided for producing the unfair bounce or typical of difficult terrain to build on, a well-placed rock feature can stand out as a memorable feature.

Stone walls, cliff faces, you name it.  Bring it on.

The rock outcropping dividing the 7th fairway at Greywalls:

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

George Freeman

Re: On the Rocks
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 03:16:53 PM »
God I love that hole...

Quite a few contenders from Greywalls for this thread!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Howard Riefs

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »
Least favorite rock cropings are often memorable, too. Though not in the positive sense. 

Exhibit A:  The par 5, #12 at Fossil Trace in Golden, Colorado. Fossil-imbedded rocks split fairway and hide the green. 

It was named by Golf Digest's Ron Whitten as "One of the Most Fun Golf Holes in America" (http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2011-01/photos-18-most-fun-holes#slide=12). I beg to differ.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 03:32:51 PM »
The first hole at Primland. 

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 03:52:14 PM »
The stone wall at the par 5 4th at Old Hickory CC, a Bendelow 9-hole original in south-central Wisconsin expanded to 18 in the 1960s. This is part of the new nine, that utilized adjoining farmland and made use of an old, glacial rock stone fence:

A look back at the ridge line of the 4th fairway, and the rock wall fronting the green.

Since RJ Daley is haunting the board these days, perhaps he can recall the course in Oklahoma? Kansas? that Perry Maxwell designed that uses a rock outcropping for a green site far above the fairway. That's one of the coolest-looking -- and best -- uses of a rock formation I've seen.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 03:56:53 PM »
Two more from an aptly name course (Stone Forest):

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
Phil, maybe the search function can pull up Jay Flemma's thread with photos of that one, which I thought was quite an interesting design.  I hate rock walls in general, when they are built as some sort of landscaping feature in or near greens and likely areas of play.  But Greywalls, and I suspect that OK course are quite a different story due to their honestly natural setting.  I liked the Greywalls holes.  Old Hickory is sort of alright - not my favorite, nor are the holes up at Devils Head in Baraboo area.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:07:54 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 04:03:14 PM »
Where is Melvyn on that Stone Forest photo?  Talk about 'not fit for purpose'! Natural setting is one thing.  Bizarre and disfunctional seems more like the Stone Forest depiction, IMO.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 04:04:46 PM »
H.P.S.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 04:07:16 PM »
I should qualify my liking of Greywalls.  I didn't like the rock outcropping immediately adjacent to the (10th?) green.   That wasn't too good, IMO. 

Dan Kelly

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 04:24:16 PM »
Jeff Brauer's Wilderness at Fortune Bay (Tower, Minnesota) opens with a long par-5 with a double fairway divided by a long rock wall (upper fairway left, lower fairway right).

Having played the course only once, and having driven it right into the crap just above the wall, I can't say if the rock wall "works."

Perhaps others can.

Memorable, in any event.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:26:10 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Eric Smith

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 04:32:39 PM »
One of the more unusual rocky hazards I've come across was on the 13th hole at Playa Grande, Dominican Republic.

I can't find a good shot from the tee, but here's one looking back from the green; note the sliver of vegetation out beyond the fold in the fairway (before the furthest little tree at the cliff's edge):

Up close you'll find this giant hole in the left center of the fairway about 200 yds out:

Terry Lavin

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 05:01:54 PM »
19th Hole anywhere:  Grey Goose, rocks, twist.

Couldn't resist.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 05:13:17 PM »
Another unusual stone hazard I've come across in my travels is the 'God of Life' statue along the 18th fairway at Varadero Golf Club, Varedero, Cuba:

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 05:51:55 PM »
The Green Monkey/Sandy Lane #16

The Green Monkey/Sandy Lane #16

Taboo #13

Taboo #7

Taboo #18

Arrowhead #3

Arrowhead #10

Sean Leary

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 05:52:09 PM »

This is the first one that came to mind to me as well.....

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 10:30:58 PM »
Do Boulders count?

I like this one on the tee
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:34:43 PM by Stewart Abramson »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 10:32:26 PM »
I don't have a picture of the 16th at Dornick Hills, but that would be my favorite.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 10:39:51 PM »
There are a couple that are almost universally disliked at Pound Ridge.

Pound Ridge #13 from the tee

Pound Ridge #15 par 3

Brian Ross

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 10:44:57 PM »

Here's where Pete Dye put the Championship Tees for the 6th hole at the River Course at VT

Tee shot on the 4th hole.  You get a real nice echo here, makes you feel like you crushed one!
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Mac Plumart

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 11:07:35 PM »
Rock  Creek   ;D

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Phil McDade

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »
I don't have a picture of the 16th at Dornick Hills, but that would be my favorite.

Here it is; I'd forgotten the name of the course:

Courtesy of Ed Oden's terrific "Maxwell Smart" thread from last year:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49744.0.html

George Freeman

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 11:54:58 PM »
Few more from Greywalls:

Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

John Foley

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 08:50:30 AM »
Here is a few from Shelter Harbor in RI

Integrity in the moment of choice

Adam Clayman

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 09:26:31 AM »
Is there such a thing as "an unfair bounce"?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back