News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Hayes

Uncle!!!
« on: April 26, 2012, 01:25:55 PM »
***Warning! ***

I think I have become toxic. Read at your own peril.  

***Warning***

After thirteen seasons as a Golf Course Superintendent, I think it is time to hang up my stimpmeter.  I have spent the last six months seeking new employment as a GCS.  100+ resumes later, I am exactly where I started.  Over a dozen phone interviews, never made it to a face to face.  I won’t boor anyone with the details of my employment history; this is not a sob story.  My awareness guru thinks it is cathartic for me to write about what I am dealing with.

I have had a good run, the jobs I have had were all rewarding in their own ways. I was able to remove over 400 Douglas Firs, Alders, and Western Red Cedars at one course.  I had the unique experience of managing 2 courses 40 miles apart from each other; it’s amazing what you can accomplish with a hands free device in the car!  And after I quit my last gig, I scored a 10 week consulting job at a neat little place outside of a prison town in Montana!

My plight is not unique (remember this is not a sob story).  I know there are 100’s of other guys with skill sets just as impressive as mine, at least there better be!  The reality is that I just can’t die that little death that happens while waiting for the next deadline to pass.  I guess may be weak, plenty of people my age (42) have been through this, but it is my first time…

Back to my roots…

My first job in the golf business was caddying. I worked for a great pro, Rick Acton, at Sahalee CC.  I learned to love the game, appreciating all that makes golf such a wonderful life.  I parlayed those early experiences into a passion that took me around the globe seeking out unique golf experiences.  I remember stumbling onto a mint copy of “The Confidential Guide” at used book store in Seattle in 1998.  My first trip to Scotland occurred less than a year later.   I “discovered” Bandon Dunes in October of 1999, fresh off that Scotland trip.  WOW!  I like to think of myself as one of the original “Bandonistas” (Thanks George Pepper!)  Now I have played 120+ rounds at that great outpost of links golf.  

My next adventure…

I am lucky, I have relatively few responsibilities.   I have kept life simple throughout the years.  My passion has been my work.  I have decided that I am going to dive in and really learn what Bandon Dunes is all about, I am going to caddy there.  I can’t wait to walk that land daily for the next several months.  I can’t wait to pass on the passion I have for the place to other golfers.  I don’t claim to be the second coming of Joe (@pacduneslooper), I am just a guy that is going to immerse himself in the art of observation for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for allowing me this forum to release my daemons.  I feel good.

See you on the links,
Michael Hayes
@myklgolf (Twitter)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 04:44:20 PM by Michael Hayes »
Bandonistas Unite!!!

V. Kmetz

Re: Uncle!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 01:37:53 PM »
MH,

I know it doesn't have the settlement and security that you have been hoping to achieve in the purely GCA/SuperI field for which you have had training and immersion, but I both applaud and carry optimism from afar for your next "chapter."

My long experiences as a caddie/caddiemaster at some of the great architectural places of the world (as well as the ignored scrubby places) have yielded a great appreciation and an actual sharpening of that which was acute already...GCA is a wonderous, special, unique, art form that can -- just like culturally accepted "fine arts" -- teach us so much about who we are, what engages the inchoate human mind, and reveals essences about the one life we are given in the tactile world.

Do what you love, the closer you can come to this, the more it'll be like you never disdained a day in your life.

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Michael Hayes

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »
Thanks V.kmetz now I know I'm toxic! ;D

Michael
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 01:52:50 PM »
Dude, that's awesome.

I'm sending you a link to an interview with Joe Bentham.

Ron M.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

V. Kmetz

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
MH,

So true...

LOL

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Adam Makepeace

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 07:14:20 PM »
Michael,

Good for you. Sounds like you are following a true passion.

I own a resume writing and interview coaching business - if you change your mind, or see a position you would like to apply for - I would be happy to help out with some free advice. Send me an email or PM if you wish.

Good luck.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 09:09:28 PM »
I was a late fill in on a trip to Bandon with Michael and a dozen or so of his friends. We had never met. I will eternally be grateful for the generosity and grace he showed by welcoming me into his group. I never felt out of place or in the way. Ask for him on your next trip and besides a smile that never ceases you will get a friend for life. Bandon is better for this.

Michael Hayes

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:16:45 PM »
John K. thanks for the kind words, you will always be a member of the Fellowship of the Dunes.  I have been saying for the last decade that I hoped that I would have the chance to go to BD for an extended period and really immerse myself.  I feel like I have been spinning my wheels for the last six months and ski season is over so...

I can honestly say that I have never had a bad day in Bandon in the dozen years of travel there, I look forward to infecting new golfers with the passion that I have for the place.

Adam M. I will check in with you sometime soon, thank you for the offer.

Michael Hayes
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back