News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael George

Re: Who enjoys golf the most?
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 05:44:50 PM »
Niall, Ben, JakaB, et. al.,

There's a difference in one's love of the game and one's appreciation for the course he's playing, and the two shouldn't be confused.

+1.  I don't think you can make any distinction re: love of the game between public and private as economics don't play any part in your love of golf.  In terms of appreciation or even enthusiasm for the course he's playing, obviously a person that experiences something less frequently usually is more appreciative and enthused. However, again, I don't think there is any distinction between public or private.  While the public golfer may be more enthused to play the local country club, the local country club member can be equally enthused to play a national club.

While there is a lot of disagreement on this site, the one unifying theme is an unbelievable love of the game of golf and its golf courses - from both our private and public members.  I find it very hard to believe that anyone could be more appreciative or enthused than a member of this discussion group on their first visit to Bandon or the sand hills of Nebraska/Colorado.

For instance - while I am a member of a golf club, I could not be more excited to attend the 5th Major this summer.... but that may be due to the amount of money that I am going to take from Eric Smith, don't know  ;)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 05:51:38 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Eric Smith

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 08:52:55 PM »

For instance - while I am a member of a golf club, I could not be more excited to attend the 5th Major this summer.... but that may be due to the amount of money that I am going to take from Eric Smith, don't know  ;)

Just because you're buying my drinks doesn't mean I'm gonna fold like a cheap suit, Mike. ;D I have been practicing for our duel(s), as well as for the big enchilada. Very much looking forward to you and everyone else making the trip out. 

Michael George

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 08:54:15 PM »
Eric - I buy you enough drinks and your best intentions and months of practice will be meaningless  ;D
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Eric Smith

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 08:59:10 PM »
Eric - I buy you enough drinks and your best intentions and months of practice will be meaningless  ;D

Well doesn't that go without saying?! ;D

Carl Johnson

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 08:59:52 PM »

There's a difference in one's love of the game and one's appreciation for the course he's playing, and the two shouldn't be confused.

Agreed.  We talk about playing golf.  But the word "play" has a variety of meanings.  For the most part, the typical golfer, in my experience, playing is "playing" in the sense that children play -- that I played as a child and teen -- it's the game.  The field is secondary.  In my youth, 6 decades ago, I came home after school and "played" basketball in a neighbor's driveway, sloping front to back and a little sideways.  In the winter we had to clear the snow and ice first, the best we could.  The court (course) was not ideal.  Still, we played.

SL_Solow

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 09:41:55 PM »
I agree that there is little or no difference in the love of the game between those who play on publics as opposed to privates.  Indeed, when courses were more crowded, the willingness to endure the waits and slow play often associated with publics in the USA might suggest a greater devotion to the game.  But if one accepts the proposition that most privates are better golf courses than most publics, one might ask why do players seek out the better courses to play?  If s it merely for the prestige of the experience?  I think not.  Put simply, the reason we are interested in golf architecture is that golf, while it is great on almost any venue, is better on a course that presents more interesting and enjoyable challenges.  At its core, that is the aim of GCA; to provide a series of challenges that increase the enjoyment of the game.  So in the end, if most privates are better courses than most publics, on balance the private course golfer is likely to enjoy the game more.  It doesn't mean he likes the game more or is more dedicated, it means that the enjoyment provided by the course adds enough to the experience to tip the balance.  Of course that shifts when the public venue is the Old Couse or Bandon or Pebble.  But unless all of our discussion about GCA is drivel ( a distinct possibility I suspect) those who play better courses are likely to achieve greater enjoyment.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:32:12 PM by SL_Solow »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 10:10:19 PM »
I watched an E60 show on Saturday that highlighted some great stories from the world of sports, including a blind wrestler and a paralyzed football player who learned to walk again.  The show also included a segment on a Vietnam vet who had lost both of his legs.  His lifelong goal was to play the Old Course, which he did driving and hitting approaches from a wheelchair and putting on what remained of his legs.  The second most amazing thing about the story was that he broke 80.  I think that guy enjoys golf more than anyone I've ever heard of who plays the game. 

For some people it doesn't matter if its a public or private course, its whether or not they get to play the game.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jason Topp

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
I think it is an individual thing.  I have seen members of the greatest private courses in the world that seem miserable all of the time.  I have seen public course golfers that seem miserable all of the time.  I also have seen the opposite.  I do not think there is a trend either way.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 11:25:44 PM »
[quote author=Jeff_Brauer link=topic=51900.msg1188935#msg1188935 date=1335274

That said, I have relayed the story of Tom Watson's approach to tournament or any round of golf.  Trys to make each round a work of art.  Starts the day before by prepping, eating right, sleeping enough.  Before the round there is the proper meal, practice, gearing up, checking requirements, studying (again) strategy, etc.  
[/quote]
Jeff,
Where do you come up with this stuff? I can tell you from personal dealings, TW 25 years ago when he was the number one player in the world, was 180 degrees of what you have described above. Out of respect for his privacy and all his efforts to create the perception you decribe, we will leave it at the 180 degree comment. Twenty five years ago is long time granted but other than people living a dramatic religious experience, they donīt change IMO!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 08:39:15 AM »
Randy,

In this case, right from his mouth in numerous conversations I have had with him from 1994 until this year.  Now, I have never seen anything in his play that would contradict this, but then, I haven't ever really followed him around the night before a round to check!

When I see him this weekend at the ASGCA meeting, I will be glad to tell him you think he is blowing smoke up my ass!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ben Sims

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 09:30:44 AM »

Nope.  The game IS courses.  It's also the shots, the walk, friends, score-keeping (whatever your fancy), etc.  But you can't say there is golf and then there is an appreciation of the courses.  They are one in the same for me because golf courses MAKE the game.

Separating the two is part of the reason the average golfer in this country cares more about his new driver than the course he's playing on.  The stewards of the game have done a poor job of keeping the courses in the forefront.  

Randy Thompson

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 09:56:50 AM »
Randy,

In this case, right from his mouth in numerous conversations I have had with him from 1994 until this year.  Now, I have never seen anything in his play that would contradict this, but then, I haven't ever really followed him around the night before a round to check!

When I see him this weekend at the ASGCA meeting, I will be glad to tell him you think he is blowing smoke up my ass!
I donīt remember stating that he is blowing smoke up your ass. Maybe it would be better to print my post and show it to him. I would imagine he would give his famous grin and say, "Well I have mellowed out in my older years," as most of us have, including myself! When your in a highly visible celebrity position, a lot of effort goes into creating an agreeable super human public perception. I just finished, Geroge Bushīs book autobiography, Decision Points. Outside of the DWI he got when he was younger and tried to cover up and hide, he makes mother Theresa look inferior.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 10:51:05 AM »
Randy,

Well, I'll clean it up a bit, LOL.

In all my time and dealing with Tom, dating back to 1994, he has been nothing but a class act.  He even discussed that public personna you describe, as he is much looser in private than his public persona, which is a bit stiff, leaning to never saying the wrong thing.

Even if he has at times been rude to you or fans that I don't know about, I don't know that it impacts the basic way he prepped and played golf.  Sure, etiquette to fans might be part of the "perfect round".  I am pretty sure he showed etiequette to his partners.

I have heard Crenshaw talk in similar terms, too.  Every so often, I take the approach they describe or trying to do everything sort of old school, and it does make for a fun round.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Randy Thompson

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 11:31:46 AM »
Randy,

Well, I'll clean it up a bit, LOL.

In all my time and dealing with Tom, dating back to 1994, he has been nothing but a class act.  He even discussed that public personna you describe, as he is much looser in private than his public persona, which is a bit stiff, leaning to never saying the wrong thing.

Even if he has at times been rude to you or fans that I don't know about, I don't know that it impacts the basic way he prepped and played golf.  Sure, etiquette to fans might be part of the "perfect round".  I am pretty sure he showed etiequette to his partners.

I have heard Crenshaw talk in similar terms, too.  Every so often, I take the approach they describe or trying to do everything sort of old school, and it does make for a fun round.
Jeff,
I agree both are first class gentleman and I never have heard of or witnessed either one being rude. I have been treated badly by a few other PGA tour players but in general most are a class act or were back then, I am no longer on the inside and have not been for years. They all lived in the fast lane though and there human by nature and that makes them less than perfect, equal to us common folks. I use to be a party animal and partied with folks from all different walks of life. I have mellowed, my definiton of a big night out now is living on the edge and drinking a third class of wine when my wife isnīt looking. But I have mellowed not changed, under the right ciurcumstances, that party animal could come out roaring.

Niall C

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »

Patrick

Again, I wouldn't disagree however my point was that the type of course you play can, certainly in my case, influence how you react with the course and therefore the enjoyment taken out of the round. On that note I think I'll leave it. I can see a circular argument developing and before I know it I'll be overwhelmed with green writing  ;).

Niall

Kalen Braley

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2012, 02:25:42 PM »
Jeff,

You know I like you and all, but this thread is border-line absurd.  ;)

Its kinda like: Who enjoys tuna sandwhiches the most?  Or who enjoys sex the most? 

Seems to me to be an impossible question to answer definitively.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2012, 02:27:08 PM »
Probably the person who is generally happy with their station in life, regardless of club/course affiliation or socioeconomic status.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 02:17:12 AM »
Great question, fun question, unanswerable indefinitive question

I think the person who plays 18 to 36 rounds a year enjoys it most.

I think that bracket of people play enough to register a handicap, have a regular group of friends, and perhaps hit the ball decently so that it's not a torture, but not so frequently that it is a disposable or hum-drum or rapacious thing. I don't think this group gets bored or beaten by the Game or the venues.   I think they can continue to love it because it's likely not too bad a drain on their recreational monies

This group (18-36 rounds) also plays infrequently enough where different courses and a few good rounds really stimulates the appetite for the day of play when those rounds occur.

cheers

vk

Well, that's me to a T, I doubt I've been outside that range anytime in the last 20+ years.  I'm good enough to be capable of hitting almost every shot there is, but not good enough that I can honestly expect to do so successfully on any regular basis so poor play doesn't generally piss me off too much.

But, as others point out, everyone is different.  Some people love the competition, and get little out of a round where they aren't playing against someone, or playing against the scorecard.  I don't really care about that.  I keep track of my scores but don't care overly much what number I shoot, or even truly play for the lowest score (sometimes its more fun to try something risky, different, or just plain crazy that's highly unlikely to offer the best chance of minimizing my score on a hole)

I think there's something to your theory, at least for me, because if I played 100 times a year I don't think I'd enjoy the game too much.  It'd get stale for me, the reason I don't play as much as I could is because I have a lot of other things I also like to do just as much if not more than golf.  Plus if I played that much I'm sure I'd improve (well, at least I sure hope so!) but as a result of that improvement I'd probably start caring too much about what I shoot and getting angry at myself after a bad shot or hole for messing up a good round!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back