News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

2012 World Deaf Golf Championships - Tsu CC - Japan
« on: April 23, 2012, 08:23:41 AM »
Dear GCA,

I have been selected by the English Deaf Golf Team to take part in the World Deaf Golf Championships (WDGC) at Tsu Country Club in Japan this October. This will be my first World Deaf Golf Championship. There will be over 100 competitors taking part in this bi-annual event.

www.2012wdgcjapan.com

I would appreciate if my fellow GCA'ers can sponsor me/support the English Deaf Golf Team and some of those proceeds will go to the Japanese Tsunami Fund to honour our hosts. Most of the deaf golfers taking part are in lowly paid jobs and are paying out of their pockets to make this amazing trip to Japan.

www.justgiving.com/EnglishDeafGolf-Japan2012

I am on the bottom right of the image  ;D and also designed the new EDGA logo!

The venue Tsu Country Club - All I know it is designed by Masashi 'Jumbo' Ozaki and I would appreciate if anyone on GCA knows about this course or make suggestions and any help is appreciated so that we can play on other courses in Japan.

The World Deaf Golf Championships in 2014 is at Grand Traverse Resort in USA - gives me a perfect excuse to pop into Mr. Doak's office as well as Crystal Downs and Kingsley Club (and High Pointe if it is reborn) ;D

Thanks in advance

Ben
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:54:47 AM by Ben Stephens »

Mark Chaplin

Re: 2012 World Deaf Golf Championships - Tsu CC - Japan
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 12:37:47 PM »
Ben - best of luck in Japan, I'm sure you will have a great experience.
Cave Nil Vino

Ben Stephens

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 01:56:33 PM »
Ben - best of luck in Japan, I'm sure you will have a great experience.

Thanks Chappers for sponsoring me! - it will be an experience for everyone involved. it will be a challenge as there are a couple of plus / scratch players involved and there is an team event where England are quite strong from 1 to 6!

Cheers
Ben

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 03:38:55 PM »
Ben,

Play well, we're all proud of you!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

JLahrman

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 03:46:43 PM »
It would be an interesting experiment to wear earplugs and play a round of golf. I bet it would affect things quite a bit.

I seem to remember Payne Stewart once playing a round of golf blindfolded against a champion blind golfer as part of a fundraiser. Payne was hoping that he had enough muscle memory from hitting so many thousands of golf balls that he would be able to hang in there. He had no chance.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »
Ben,

Play well, we're all proud of you!

Terry,

Wow thanks for your donation and support - it is much appreciated! - I hope to play well! just shot gross 72 at Woodhall Spa!

Cheers
Ben

Ben Stephens

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 04:02:56 PM »
It would be an interesting experiment to wear earplugs and play a round of golf. I bet it would affect things quite a bit.

I seem to remember Payne Stewart once playing a round of golf blindfolded against a champion blind golfer as part of a fundraiser. Payne was hoping that he had enough muscle memory from hitting so many thousands of golf balls that he would be able to hang in there. He had no chance.

JLahrman

I wear a cochlear implant device everyday apart from sleeping which is so peaceful!. The World Deaf Golf Championships as well as the English Deaf Golf Championships the rules stipulates that all external hearing devices have to be removed, to allow for a level playing field as a number of deaf people actually do not wear hearing aids, prior to play otherwise the player will be disqualified. Having played most of my golfing life with hearing aids it was strange at first not to wear it while playing. The strange thing it does make me concentrate better and more put off by any objects moving. I am actually more of a feel player rather than use sound due to my deafness which helps as well.

It will definitely be interesting to see hearing people play golf with ear plugs! the difficulty is getting people's attention if someone is playing a provisional and the other walk ahead without knowing and deaf golfers tend to throw another ball all the ground past the player in front of the tee to get their attention. Also 'fore' is tricky from behind! from the front it is cross waving to warn others. It is a whole different world! :)

Cheers
Ben
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:52:14 PM by Ben Stephens »

astavrides

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 07:11:12 PM »

I think he said finding his ball after he hit it was the toughest thing for him. I imagine getting on his hands and knees and pawing around looking for it got old.  ;)
But more seriously, I wonder if it was a course neither of them had played before.  Even so, I think Payne would've had an advantage since he had actually seen any golf course recently.

JLahrman

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 07:25:07 PM »
I think he said finding his ball after he hit it was the toughest thing for him. I imagine getting on his hands and knees and pawing around looking for it got old.  ;)
But more seriously, I wonder if it was a course neither of them had played before.  Even so, I think Payne would've had an advantage since he had actually seen any golf course recently.

Ha ha Mr. Smarty Pants...here is the short version of the round:

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/04/29/sports/humbling-60-for-stewart.html

Ben Stephens

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 03:43:11 AM »
A big thank you to Bill McBride for his sponsorship!! I owe you a few drinks at the Silloth Beer Festival!

astavrides

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 10:42:37 AM »

Ha ha Mr. Smarty Pants...here is the short version of the round:

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/04/29/sports/humbling-60-for-stewart.html

Interesting thanks.  I wish the article were longer.  Pretty impressive that some guy shot a 41.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 04:21:10 PM »
A big thank you to both Mike Sweeney and Jim Colton for their sponsorship!

Cheers
Ben

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 06:21:42 AM »

Cheers
Ben

Ben,

No problem. If you can get Melvyn the Fake Poster from England to contribute, I will double my contribution!!

Come on Mel, step to the plate for Ohio, oops, I mean England.  ;)

Ben Stephens

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 10:54:13 AM »
A big thank you to Sean Walsh, Mark Rowlinson, Sean Arble and Kelly Blake Moran for their sponsorship. All this support makes me feel privileged to be part of a great group who live and breathe golf course architecture.

Cheers
Ben

Ben Stephens

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 10:55:32 AM »

Cheers
Ben

Ben,

No problem. If you can get Melvyn the Fake Poster from England to contribute, I will double my contribution!!

Come on Mel, step to the plate for Ohio, oops, I mean England.  ;)

Melvyn - all you have to do is contribute a minimum of 1p for Mike to double his contribution!  ;D

Niall C

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 04:37:02 PM »
I have been selected by the English Deaf Golf Team

and here was me thinking you were Welsh ! Best of luck in Japan.

Niall

James Boon

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 04:44:47 PM »

Niall

Niall,

Dont get me started. I'm very proud of my great friend Ben for being chosen and chuffed for him that he is getting to go to Japan. However, the Englishman in me is somewhat distraught that we have a Welshman on our team...  ;D

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ben Stephens

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 04:17:12 AM »

Niall

Niall,

Dont get me started. I'm very proud of my great friend Ben for being chosen and chuffed for him that he is getting to go to Japan. However, the Englishman in me is somewhat distraught that we have a Welshman on our team...  ;D

Cheers,

James

Niall / James,

Just to clarify that I was born in England and have lived in England all my life. My family/relatives are Welsh, to be honest it is supporting the Wales Rugby Team that makes me feel more Welsh. I am more 'English' than I am 'Welsh' in many ways!

The World Deaf Golf Federation rules allows one change of country in a lifetime so who knows I might end up playing for Wales :) but that means international sabbatical for 4 years!

Cheers
Ben

Ben Stephens

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 04:18:09 AM »
A big thank you to John Mayhugh for his generous sponsorship and support!!

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 04:40:28 AM »
I hope you have a fantastic trip Ben and keep us all posted.  Hope we get a hit together before you go.

Robin
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco

Ben Stephens

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 04:48:40 AM »
I hope you have a fantastic trip Ben and keep us all posted.  Hope we get a hit together before you go.

Robin

Robin,

Many thanks for your sponsorship and support -the just giving account is now past the £500 mark mainly thanks to GCA sponsorship! ;D.
Yeah we will have a game before I go to Japan! Enjoy your round at Trump Aberdeen!

Cheers
Ben

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 05:41:58 AM »
Ben - that's excellent news lets see if GCA'ers can get you to at least 50% of your target!!

Brits do not forget if you gift aid your donation, the EDGT can claim the tax relief as well.
Cave Nil Vino

Ben Stephens

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 06:06:35 AM »
Ben - that's excellent news lets see if GCA'ers can get you to at least 50% of your target!!

Brits do not forget if you gift aid your donation, the EDGT can claim the tax relief as well.

Thanks Chappers!

The tax relief is called 'Gift Aid' and all UK people are eligible for this. This is a massive boost for the English Deaf Golf Team - thank you GCA!!!

Cheers
Ben

Eric Smith

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »
Bump

Ben Stephens

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 02:56:21 AM »
A big thank you to Howard Riefs for his generous sponsorship!  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back