News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

What makes Olympic hard
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:07:36 PM »
Though I have grown to love Olympic Club (and everything associated with my old home in San Fransisco) the thing that jumps out at me the most when I look through some old pictures is the narrowness, which is not my favorite aspect of any course. 

I was just looking for some pictures for Pat Mucci's F&F thread and came across these of Olympic...WOW, is that narrow or what. 

You combine the heavy air, reverse cant fairways, small greens, thick rough and you could play the US Open there every year.  Maybe the most obvious choice in the USGA's eyes after Oakmont and maybe Winged Foot.

Who needs fairway bunkers with that narrowness.

Bob_Huntley

Re: What makes Olympic hard
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:46:26 PM »
I would love to see Bubba at Olympic.

Bob

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:54:32 PM »
I've never been to Olympic but that first pictures makes me not even care to play it.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 10:00:41 PM »
I would love to see Bubba at Olympic.

Bob

Bubba might surprise you.
He striped it on 18 at ANGC the three times I watched him o the weekend and it's the opposite of his preferred ball flight
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 10:39:43 PM »
While the chutes off the tees look pretty narrow, the landing areas are much wider than you think they might be. Plus, there is only one fairway bunker on the course. Remember, Seve Ballesteros had his highest US Open finish at Olympic.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 12:10:56 AM »
The other thing that makes it hard is reverse camber - the fairways run one way, but the lands flows the other.  It's like a restrictor plate:)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 01:27:18 AM »
What makes it hard? Used to be, everything except length. Now it has length, too.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 06:50:50 AM »
Having visited Olympic last week, I certainly didn't feel the course was narrow.
I gather there's been a lot of trees removed.
Those photos in your opening post Chip bear no resenblance to the course I saw last week.

I played rather poorly on the day I visited.
But I think I did so in part due to my inability to shape shots when asked to.

Uphill approaches from downhill lies and vice versa.
Fade drives to hold some fairways, and draws to find others.
Most frequently, fade approaches from hook lies and vice versa.
You get out of position quickly, and rack up big numbers when attempting to make such shots and fail.
Olympic demanded this of me more than most courses during my trip.
Cal Club did, but not as often, and not so strongly either.

The US Open competitors will also have narrower fairways, longer rough, and tees further back than what I played...
It will be interesting to see what they do.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 02:30:22 PM »
What makes it hard? Used to be, everything except length. Now it has length, too.

This is true.  It's a very physical course, and now that they had added the length it just beats you up.  Add in long rough and fast greens and it's downright impossible, at least for anyone over a 10 handicap.

The pros will have no problem with the trees, it's again the average golfer that has problems with the trees.

Nobody has a problem here?

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »
Here's the US Open scorecard:

#1 - 520 Yards, Par Four
#2 - 428 Yards, Par Four
#3 - 247 Yard Par Three
#4 - 430 Yard Par Four
#5 - 498 Yard Par Four
#6 - 490 Yard Par Four
#7 - 294 Yards, Par Four
#8 - 200 Yards, Par Three
#9 - 449 Yards, Par Four

3,556 par 34

#10 - 424 Yards, Par Four
#11 - 430 Yards, Par Four
#12 - 451 Yards, Par Four
#13 - 199 Yards, Par Three
#14 - 419 Yards, Par Four
#15 - 154 Yards, Par Three
#16 - 670 Yards, Par Five
#17 - 505 Yards, Par Five
#18 - 355 Yards, Par Four

3,607 par 36

7,163 par 70

...which probably plays like 7,400+ anywhere else!

There's a tour at http://www.olyclub.com/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=342338&ssid=243551&vnf=1
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:47:13 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Ben Sims

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »
Joel,

Maybe I should play O Lake again, but I wouldn't compare the corridors at ANGC to those at the OC.  18 looks tight on TV, and it isn't the largest fairway out there, but it's not anywhere near what it looks like in that photo.  O Lake's corridors felt constrained, but the mowing lines made it even more intimidating.   

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 05:43:36 PM »
BTW that first picture is #12, and that hole is insanely narrow from the US Open tee. Other than that, the teeshots are narrow but not scary in the "I'm going to hit a tree 50 yards from the tee" sense.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 05:49:22 PM »
Knowing how hard the first 6 holes are, especially with #1 being a par 4.  I will take a guess that a lot of rounds will be ruined within the first six holes.  If you can get through even, you will probably be looking real solid.  I am predicting that a lot of players will miss the cut just because of their play on holes 1-6. 

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 06:11:10 PM »
Joel,

O Lake's corridors felt constrained, but the mowing lines made it even more intimidating.   

The mowing lines and rough lines are some of the worst you will find at any course in the US.   Factor in the club has only 1 fairway bunker and you have very little visual reference to hit your drive.

The superintendent has resisted all efforts to restore any of the bunkers filled in over the years so I find it laughable that the USGA is making him add a bunker on #17.  I'm anxiously waiting to see the shape of the bunker, my guess it will be cloverleaf in nature.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 06:40:10 PM »
Some pictures from last week for reference.

And no collection of images from Olympic Lake seems complete without this!  :)

"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

JLahrman

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 06:55:14 PM »
I've only played the course once, but I would agree with Matthew in that the course doesn't feel nearly as narrow as the pictures that Chip posted.

Except for the US Open tee box on 12. That is one narrow chute.

I think some trees have been removed since Chip took those pictures, and I think things look narrower in pictures than they do in person.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »

A good photo of what is wrong at Olympic. 

1) Mowing lines that are just a mish mash of lines.
2) A raised tee box that serves no purpose.  It should be a walk off tee box, flush with the ground.
3) It's squared off and yet should be free form.
4) A bunker has been removed from the hillside on the left should be restored.
5) It's wall to wall green.

JLahrman

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 08:13:06 PM »

Joel, is Olympic always this green?

It's fair to point out that in the two weeks before Matthew played the course, it was wall to wall rain here in the Bay Area.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 11:19:32 PM »

Joel, is Olympic always this green?

It's fair to point out that in the two weeks before Matthew played the course, it was wall to wall rain here in the Bay Area.

Yes.  As critical as I am of the current superintendent, I will give him 100% credit, the guy knows how to grow grass and keep it green.  Sadly he fails in the other categories which represent 75% of his job duties.

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 12:42:13 AM »
"The superintendent has resisted all efforts to restore any of the bunkers filled in over the years"

Joel -

Whose "efforts" are you referring to? Were there efforts to restore bunkers on the Lake Course before the Open 1966? before the Open in 1987? before the Open in 1998?

Has a plan to restore bunkers ever been presented for serious consideration? Haven't the "filled in" bunkers have been filled in for over 50 years?

To assert the current superintendent is the sole or primary obstacle to these "efforts," if indeed they exist, is rather farfetched.

DT

Jay Flemma

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 12:38:50 PM »
Matthew, what is that you're eating?

I talked to Bill Love last night and he said they removed between six hundred and six hundred and fifty trees...
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 02:34:20 PM »
Dave:  Most of the bunkers that were filled in was performed by RTJ Sr.  I can't tell you how many green committee meetings we had as well as private conversations with the superintendent to try and restore some of the bunkers.  Furthermore we discussed trying to restore the bunkers to the original frilly edge look but the superintendent didn't feel he could maintain them due to the amount of play the course gets.

Jay:  Bill Love was brought in well after the tree management program and the top dressing program were finished.  He had nothing to do with those projects.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 04:56:22 PM »
Jay, I believe it known as "The Olympic Burger" - from the half-way house.

Kevin Joel or others may be able to add more.

Served with all the trimmings, it is a hamburger pattie in a hot dog roll. Very tasty.

Kirk Moon

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 05:38:41 PM »
Jay, I believe it known as "The Olympic Burger" - from the half-way house.

Kevin Joel or others may be able to add more.

Served with all the trimmings, it is a hamburger pattie in a hot dog roll. Very tasty.
Frequenly referred to as the "burger dog".

It is really nothing more than a run of the mill (but elongated) hamburger patty served on a plain old hot dog bun with whatever typical trimmings you desire (pickles, relish, mayo, mustard, ketchup, chopped onions.)  It is pretty tasty, but (IMHO) no more so than any other similar burger.  I think the reason it has become so popular is the setting in which it is consumed.  You can also get chicken or veggie versions.  They are served at the halfway house next to the 9th green on the Ocean Course and at the food stand on the driving range up near the main clubhouse.

The "burger dog" has somehow managed to become famous throughout much of the golfing world.  Right up there with pimento cheese sandwiches.  Go figure.

BTW, these delicacies will NOT be available during the US Open.  The USGA controls all food vending and the O Club vendors will not be in action in any public setting during the tournament.  They will, however, be available during the tournament in the O Club Members Hospitality Tent in the upper parking lot (across from the driving range) should any of you have a craving and know a member. 

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 08:26:28 PM »
There are several reasons Olympic is challenging.  Firstly, the slope in the fairways.  It never let's you get completely comfortable over a shot.  You need to account for the slope to fade or draw the ball as well as calculating for uphill and downhill shots.  You definitely have to think how you are going to play the shot and how your shot shape and yardage will be affected.  Also, as the fairways firm up for the open, working the ball into the slopes off the tee is a must.  I don't know if a player who works the ball one way will have a chance (bubba might be a good pick).  Secondly, the slope in the greens.  The majority of the greens slide in one direction with little subtle movements in them.  To make putts, you need to be well positioned under the hole to give yourself a reasonable chance without too much break.  Well positioned approaches will lead to some realistic birdie chances.  Lastly, the yardage plays way longer than the scorecard indicates.  The blues tees are just under 6600 and easily play over 7000.  Several  holes play uphill, temperatures are usually cool, and the air is heavy...all adding up to a longer course.  Whites at 6200 are sufficient for your average golfer.  The course is very fair, but you need to execute to shoot a great round.  The trees aren't that close to the fairways.  12 is the only hole that has the intimidation factor from the trees for the member tees.  The place is magical and I hope it is a great open.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back