News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

if you thought it was hard to get to bandon......
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:01:56 PM »
Try getting to Barnbougle.

After having mechanical airplane problems, I am on 29 hours traveling.  Still 2 more flights and at least 24 hours to go.  How remote is too remote?  I suspect there is no such thing.  I am taking a private charter from melbourne to barnbougle or the trip would be at least 3 more hours.  Am I stupid dedicated or both?

Bart  8)

Tom_Doak

Re: if you thought it was hard to get to bandon......
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:07:22 PM »
You are trying to get to Barnbougle from where?  Most of the people that play it are coming from Melbourne or Sydney ... and it's way easier for them than for most Americans to get to Bandon.

P.S.  Sorry for your travel troubles.  I can relate ... the year we built Barnbougle I spent 600 hours traveling between airports.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:08:46 PM »
You are trying to get to Barnbougle from where?  Most of the people that play it are coming from Melbourne or Sydney ... and it's way easier for them than for most Americans to get to Bandon.

Tennessee

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:10:19 PM »
Did you go through Dallas or LA?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:11:43 PM »
Did you go through Dallas or LA?

Sitting in lax at the moment.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:13:18 PM »
I am insanely jealous.  Barnbougle and Lost Farm look off the charts amazing.  If they are of the quality they appear to be...they can't be too remote.  Ardent golfers will travel to the end of the earth to play such gems.

I anxiously await your full report on GCA from this trip.  And I request a special detailed write up (with photos) on the 13th at Barnbougle.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 11:16:17 PM »
I live 10-15mins drive from Sydney airport. 90min flight to Launceston, grab a car or get on the shuttle and I am at Barnbougle an hour later.

Not that hard if you're already in the right part of the world!

Bart Bradley

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 11:17:10 PM »
Mac

I will do my best.  I enjoyed seeing you.  No reason to be jealous.  You will get your turn.

Bart

Mac Plumart

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 11:18:36 PM »
Mac

I will do my best.  I enjoyed seeing you.  No reason to be jealous.  You will get your turn.

Bart

I enjoyed the day as well Bart.  FYI, I'm not really jealous...but I thought it was a good way to start the post.  Kind of let you know how much I am looking forward to playing those courses.  Have fun!!   8)

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 11:20:58 PM »
Guess you are leaving on the bank of flights they send out at 9 or 10.Take aspirin and move every hour!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 07:42:09 AM »
Bart,

Sorry about you transportation problems, but once you are finally there, it will be worth it!

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47613.msg1065827.html#msg1065827

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 08:56:54 AM »
I live 10-15mins drive from Sydney airport. 90min flight to Launceston, grab a car or get on the shuttle and I am at Barnbougle an hour later.

I'm very jealous! :)
H.P.S.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »
I thought it was harder to leave Barnbougle than it was to get there! 

You really should be breaking up the trip with stops in Sydney and Melbourne (one on the way down, the other on the way back). 

Enjoy.

George Pazin

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 09:58:55 AM »
Yeah, it's been really rough for me, too, curled up in Bart's suitcase, posting from my phone. Hope he doesn't notice the bag moving around...

Have fun, Bart.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

William_G

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 10:11:31 AM »
You are trying to get to Barnbougle from where?  Most of the people that play it are coming from Melbourne or Sydney ... and it's way easier for them than for most Americans to get to Bandon.

So you are saying it's easier for Australians to get to Tasmania than for Americans to get to Southern Oregon.
It's all about the golf!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 10:11:41 AM »

I'm very jealous! :)

Me too!

;)

William_G

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 10:16:44 AM »
Try getting to Barnbougle.

After having mechanical airplane problems, I am on 29 hours traveling.  Still 2 more flights and at least 24 hours to go.  How remote is too remote?  I suspect there is no such thing.  I am taking a private charter from melbourne to barnbougle or the trip would be at least 3 more hours.  Am I stupid dedicated or both?

Bart  8)

good luck!
It's all about the golf!

Stephen Davis

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 10:37:57 AM »
I will admit to being jealous! Also, as someone who lives 3 hours from Bandon, I find it very easy to get to Bandon  :D But, for anyone in the Midwest or East coast it is a bit of a bear to get here. Also, totally worth it though.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 01:05:36 PM »
Bart, Remember to not let the length, or hardship of travels, effect you in anyway, as it relates to your critique of the golf. If anyone can do it, you can.
It a shame you're not going over Julian's place. But, I suppose you'll have to muddle through. Aye, the sacrifices we all make. Have a safe trip.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Scott Warren

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 07:12:28 PM »
William G,

As a general rule, yeah. It helps that a lion's share of our population is on the East Coast and Barnbougle is 1hr from a major airport (Launceston).

Melbourne is an hour's flight from Launceston, Sydney is about 90mins. Fares are about $70-130 one-way, depending when you go and how far in advance you buy.

If you are really keen, you can fly on a charter from an airport next to Kingston Heath on the Melbourne sandbelt to a landing strip beside the 2nd fairway at Barnbougle Dunes and maximise your time playing golf.

Mayhugh: I agree leaving is far more difficult than getting there!

Pat, Mac, Stephen: And I reckon I'd also be fairly jealous of all the places you guys are within two or three hours of!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:28:01 PM by Scott Warren »

Tony Titheridge

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 04:35:55 PM »
So you are saying it's easier for Australians to get to Tasmania than for Americans to get to Southern Oregon.
A friend of mine who like me lives in the major city of Melbourne, has more than once eaten breakfast and his evening meal at home, with 36 holes at Barnbougle in between. No rushing, and nothing but standard scheduled flights. It takes him only an hour longer each way than driving across town to the sandbelt. A few past and present guys on this site have made mutliple day trips from Melbourne to play.

Chris Kane

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 11:34:13 PM »
Great to have you back Tithers.

Barnbougle is a one hour flight and 45 minute drive from the cities of Melbourne (population of 4.1 million) and Sydney (4.6 million). A facility which is very easy to get to within three hours of two major western cities is not 'remote'. In fact for someone like Scott Warren living in Sydney its probably quicker to get to Barnbougle than the Mornington Peninsula.

It would take me almost 32 hours to go from Canberra to St Andrews - but I would never call St Andrews remote.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 10:35:51 AM »
Are there direct flights from Sydney to Launceston now? I seem to remember that when I was in Aus, two and a half years go, that was not the case. And if so, I wonder if the Barnbougle traffic made the route more viable?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 11:10:44 AM »
Are there direct flights from Sydney to Launceston now? I seem to remember that when I was in Aus, two and a half years go, that was not the case. And if so, I wonder if the Barnbougle traffic made the route more viable?

Adam:

They were flying from Sydney direct to Launceston when we were building Barnbougle, though not many flights a day.  Perhaps it's a seasonal service and you were just there at the wrong time of year?

Anyway, I doubt that traffic to Barnbougle could make much difference from an airline's perspective.  We thought that the traffic to Bandon Dunes [which is much bigger than Barnbougle] would result in improved air service to North Bend, but that has definitely NOT been the case.  :'(  From the airlines' perspective, 25 or even 50 people checking out of a resort each day are not even a blip on the radar.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 09:34:59 PM »
Bart - do me a favor and stargaze while you're there.  I've always wanted to see the Southern sky :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back