News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Barry Stern

Re: Most Recognizeable Club Logos in Golf?
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2012, 12:14:48 PM »
Agree with Pat - Garden City's is primo. 

I have to say, the logo thing is interesting.  It certainly is off-topic with respect to architecture, but it is an aspect of the game, or more accurately, the golfing experience, that I've often though of.  In so many areas of life, things seemingly trivial become so much more when infused with the symbolic.  Amplify that when artistic expression, the attempt to capture in a symbol something that words alone can't do justice to, is involved.  A logo can be indifferent, simply communicating basic info:  what club you're at, where it is, golf vs. country club.  But how understated vs. ostentatious, simple vs. complex, clear vs. obscure the logo is can communicate something about the club, that can then be echoed through other elements of the club's setup, policies, attitude, etc..   I always find it a bit disappointing when a club does not put much effort into the logo, and always find myself thinking about it when a certain logo capture my interest, usually because there is some congruence between the logo and other very satisfying aspects of my experience at the club.   

David Cronheim

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2012, 01:30:52 PM »
Barry, I think that's an excellent observation. I agree wholeheartedly, but I might even go a step further. When you drive into a golf club, one of the first things you see is their logo. If you don't see it then, you certainly do when you go into the pro shop before the round to check in.

It can set the stage for the whole day and affect, subconsciously, your opinion of a place. I know when I drive into a club and see an overly busy logo or one that looks every other golf club out there, that not a lot of thought went into it. It is normally the harbinger of a mediocre day. The course has to overcome it's logo to some extent. I really hate logos that are shields with some variation of the club's letters:

Conversely, if a place has an elegant or simple logo, the power of that brand can be tremendous. I think this holds true for all businesses that use a logo as a brand identifier. Just think how many of these brands we all know:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/corplogos

Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2012, 01:37:34 PM »
Here are a few more to chew on, good and bad:

I like that Wine Valley logo a lot. Simple and clever.

It's not unique, but I do have a soft spot for the Eisenhower (in essence, AFA) logo also.

Michael George

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »

Arcadia Bluffs

White Bear Yacht Club

Fox Chapel

Garden City GC
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:10:03 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Matt Ingraham

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2012, 03:58:49 PM »
Most recognizable: Pebble Beach

Best: Merion

Darkhorse 1: Boston

Darkhorse 2: Turnberry

I really like Merion's logo.  I also am a big fan of the Olympic Club's logo.

PCCraig

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2012, 04:18:16 PM »
H.P.S.

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2012, 06:15:37 PM »
White Bear!  Great one.  I have to give a shout out to Colorado Golf Club (full disclosure: I have worked with and for the club in various capacities since pre-construction).  I think it's good - we generally use it without the type...

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2012, 06:31:30 PM »
Another batch:

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2012, 07:14:55 PM »
Almost forgot!  One of my favorites:

Landmark Golf uses their corporate logo for many of their courses.  Maybe it saves money because they can print merchandise with one logo and embroider whatever course name underneath (or just omit the course name).

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:35:37 PM by Joe_Tucholski »

David Kelly

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2012, 07:15:10 PM »
Naccarato hit a home run with the Friar's Head logo.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2012, 07:24:34 PM »
I tend to favor logos with NO words, just a symbol.

If you have to have words to identify the club, doesn't that tell you that the logo is inadequate or ineffective ?

J_ Crisham

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2012, 09:47:15 PM »
Sven,    Just an fyi- we changed our Beverly logo from the crest with 1908 back to a B with 2 C's inside the B. No date listed.this was our early days logo at The Bev.

Scott Warren

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
Patrick, I agree logo without words is great.

I have found that US clubs tend to have better logos than those in the UK or Australia. I have no idea why, but Aussie and Brit logos tend to be either too busy or just plain boring IMO. Barnbougle Dunes and Lost Farm, NSWGC (club logo, not state coat of arms), Kingston Heath, Trevose and North Berwick are some examples.

My clubs, I think have  pretty good logos.

Bonnie Doon:  R. Cinque Ports:

and some other exceptions to the rule in UK and Aus are:

R. Dornoch:

Rye:

The Berkshire:

Royal Melbourne:

Some favourites in the US.

Friar's Head:

Pine Valley:

Fishers Island:

Yale:

Olympic Club:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:12:16 PM by Scott Warren »

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2012, 09:18:27 AM »
Michael, or Sven, I can't figure out how to get the logos on here, but could either one of you put the logo for Oak Hill in Rochester along with the logo from Nassau CC in Glen Cove, NY on here?
Thanks
Keith

Michael George

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2012, 09:24:53 AM »

Oak Hill CC

Nassau CC
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2012, 09:27:05 AM »
Chanticleer
Chechessee Creek
Honors Course
Peachtree

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2012, 09:37:20 AM »
Also the East Lake Shamrock is a logo I really like, wish the club would use that exclusively and lose the ELGC version without the cloverleaf. 

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2012, 09:52:06 AM »
Thanks Mike, I have always liked how similiar they are, and in a way, somewhat simiiar to Garden City as well.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2012, 10:03:34 AM »
I agree completely about the logo sans words, but I do like a nice intertwining letters logo for the old-guard-type clubs too.

Below is the Pawleys Plantation logo, which I would love to see by itself on a hat or shirt, without the words:

I may get some disagreement on this one, but I've always been partial to the logo for the Wild Wing complex (formerly 72 holes, now 27) in Myrtle Beach.  Again, I'd love to see it without the words.

Senior Writer, GolfPass

Eric Smith

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2012, 10:13:19 AM »
Chanticleer
Chechessee Creek
Honors Course
Peachtree

Looks great on the huge fluffy white towels in the Honors locker room; w/o script, just the Tennessee State Amateur trophy.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2012, 10:30:07 AM »
Most Recognizable:  Sea Island, since it simply says "Sea Island"

Best:  LuLu CC
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John McCarthy

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »

Glen Oak Country Club in Glen Ellen uses a portrait of a caddy from the 1920s named "Pinky."  For years it was said Pinky was struck and killed by lightning and the club was honoring his memory.  Then some fellas were going through some club photos from the 50s a few years back and discovered a group photo including Pinky in middle age.  So they dropped the whole lightening thing...

Not a famous course but every time I see the logo I think of poor Pinky...

on edit:  How do I get the photo smaller?
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Sean Leary

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2012, 02:52:17 PM »
Chanticleer
Chechessee Creek
Honors Course
Peachtree

Looks great on the huge fluffy white towels in the Honors locker room; w/o script, just the Tennessee State Amateur trophy.
Ii like your 5th major logo WAAYY better ;)

Eric Smith

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2012, 03:08:26 PM »
Me too. ;)

George Freeman

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2012, 03:16:41 PM »
Almost forgot!  One of my favorites:

Landmark Golf uses their corporate logo for many of their courses.  Maybe it saves money because they can print merchandise with one logo and embroider whatever course name underneath (or just omit the course name).

Well that's a disappointment!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back