News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Re: Seriously O/T... the two best inventions of the last 40 years
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2012, 11:49:40 PM »
Wrinkle free pants

They still find a way to wrinkle. :-[

Tim Bert

« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2012, 08:57:47 PM »
I will go with the iPhone.  My other would be the Sun Mountain left handed 3.5 walking bag, which they unfortunately ruined with the most recent iteration.  Nothing worse than when someone continues to tweak perfection simply because they think they need to tinker every year.  Always leads to a product going downhill. Fortunately I have a second one in a box in my garage.

David Lott

« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2012, 09:35:24 PM »
For me its Gleevec.
David Lott

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2012, 11:53:18 PM »
Anything made by Steve Jobs and company, Gore-Tex, WiFi, TrackMan, Nike Fuel Band, Soft Spikes, Modern Topdressers, irrigation systems, and computerized sprayers.

Graphite shafts? Good and bad? I remember when I got my first Aj-Tech shaft... Wow! I sure did love that shaft but it also made my home course instantly obsolete. It's become sad to me because I can't wait to install my new custom KBS Tour, AD-DI 6, or Fubuki K shaft. Even though I know that these shafts have had such a negative impact on so many classic designs. With that said, graphite shafts have also kept my Dad competitive well into his late 50's.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:24:51 AM by SNaugler »

John Kirk

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2012, 03:17:09 AM »
Wrinkle free pants

I hate wrinkle free pants.

Harris Nepon

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »
Got to be iphone or Google.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2012, 11:43:55 AM »
Dear Bob,

This is easy:

Microsoft Vista
Zune

Sincerely,
S. Ballmer
----------------------
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2012, 09:55:32 PM »
Bob Huntley,

I think you'll like this one.

A few years back a good friend's daughter married Brad Faxon
A number of golfers are at my friend's house when Brad starts telling everyone about the water proof slacks he's recently purchased and that the fellow who represents the company that makes them is stopping by to drop some off.

The rep comes to my friend's house, shows the slacks to everyone, tells everyone how terrific they are, demonstrates how effective they are by pouring alot of water on them, and as a result a bunch of the fellows place orders for a number of slacks.

One of my very good friends, a great guy and a spectacular golfer, Terry McBride, orders a number of the water proof slacks.
About a month or so later they come in.

About another month or so later, after a round in an event that almost got rained out, we're sitting around outside, having some drinks and talking about golf and how lucky we were that we didn't get drenched, when Terry says words to the effect that it wouldn't have bothered him.  So a bunch of guys say, why not ?
And he says, because he bought these special water proof slacks that the guys on tour, like Brad Faxon, wear when they think it's going to rain, and that they are incredibly effective in that no water will get through and you'll be as dry as can be.

So the guys say, "No way.  Are you serious" ?  He says "yeah", wait a second and he tells the waitress to bring him a big pitcher of water.  So, she brings a big pitcher, filled to the brim and he says, "watch this" and proceeds to pour the entire pitcher on his lap.

One problem.

He forgot he wasn't wearing the water proof pants that day.

We still laugh and kid him and ask him to demonstrate how effective the water proof pants are.

Pete Garvey

« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2012, 05:06:03 PM »
I know that I'll catch a lot of grief from the purists on here but in my opinion the greatest invention to the game has been the golf cart.  Before everyone starts throwing apples at me consider how it allows those with the most experience in life (age) to continue to play the game.  Before the cart, once you could no longer walk the course your golfing days were over. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2012, 10:29:53 PM »
I know that I'll catch a lot of grief from the purists on here but in my opinion the greatest invention to the game has been the golf cart.  Before everyone starts throwing apples at me consider how it allows those with the most experience in life (age) to continue to play the game.  Before the cart, once you could no longer walk the course your golfing days were over. 

No, you're right, if a cart can help someone play longer then I think it's a wonderful thing.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2012, 07:01:17 AM »
I recently stayed at a hotel with a heated toilet seat.  That was more of a treat than I care to admit.

What part of the world was this in?

Yeah, I thought you weren't coming over until June.

Patrick, my mom once shattered a very nice china plate by dropping it on purpose, to prove a point. Turned out that wasn't one of her new Cornings.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2012, 09:37:10 AM »
Jeff, et al, Re; Graphite.
 It wasn't the space program that developed it, it was a Kremer Prize in which the Gossamer human powered aircraft won.

The other day I was whining about my shoulder, when one of the Docs suggested switching to graphite shafts. He cited how he use to have joint problems, but after switching, he's pain free.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan Kelly

« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »
Has anyone mentioned the Flash Mob?

For example: http://www.classicalarchives.com/feature/dont_miss_this.html
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2012, 01:30:22 AM »

After that my vote goes to YouTube.

Thanks.
Let's make GCA grate again!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »
Implants?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Dan Kelly

« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2012, 11:06:11 AM »

Another Exhibit in my case for the Flash Mob: http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=GBaHPND2QJg&feature=youtu.be.

I wish you all a "Joy"-full Third of July.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2012, 02:42:39 PM »

Another Exhibit in my case for the Flash Mob: http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=GBaHPND2QJg&feature=youtu.be.

I wish you all a "Joy"-full Third of July.

And one more nomination -- with much-discussed Golf Course Architecture below!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjz9rOA8j1M

Mark Woodger

« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2012, 02:54:47 PM »
I will go with the iPhone.  My other would be the Sun Mountain left handed 3.5 walking bag, which they unfortunately ruined with the most recent iteration.  Nothing worse than when someone continues to tweak perfection simply because they think they need to tinker every year.  Always leads to a product going downhill. Fortunately I have a second one in a box in my garage.

Forgive my ignorance but what makes this bag left handed?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »
Mark,
The straps are left-arm first, the padding for your back is on the right side of the bag side and the long pocket runs up the left side.

There was a company (possibly OGIO) making ambidextrous bags, but I don't think the idea took. The pockets/back pad were held on by velcro and interchangeable from side to side.   
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ken Moum

« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2012, 04:22:51 PM »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Dan Kelly

« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2012, 04:27:40 PM »

Gotta love a flashmob..

This is probably my favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE

Great one, Ken.

That was my column's "Website of the Day" on December 7, 2010. I gave it a tinyurl that I was pleased with: http://tinyurl.com/lovehandel. Not often do you see a shameless pun in a URL.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2012, 10:52:27 PM »
The widget in a can of Guiness.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back