News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

2012-2013
« on: September 09, 2011, 04:04:46 PM »
Just thinking about this, but we should have a nice set of new courses opening in the next two years.  2013 being the Gil Hanse Bandon course.  For 2012, there will be the Dismal Doak, Prairie Hanse, Streamsong Doak & C&C, and I think the Coore course overseas.  Can't think of the name right now.

Even if you look out to 2013, the whole Mission course complex will probably boast a collection of the above names.

Scott Szabo

Re: 2012-2013
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 04:19:21 PM »
Looking forward to seeing Hepner's course at Ballyneal, which should open for play sometime in 2012 I believe.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 04:45:16 PM »
Looking forward to seeing Hepner's course at Ballyneal, which should open for play sometime in 2012 I believe.

That would be a pretty neat trick, since they haven't started building it yet!

For that matter, Steve Roths's projections are just as interesting.  As far as I know, Mr. Keiser doesn't even own the land yet for Gil's course in Bandon -- and it would have to be half done now to open in 2013.  And nothing has begun on a third course at The Prairie Club, so its projected 2012 opening is ... optimistic.

Have you guys ever heard of grow-in?  Or, for that matter, permits and financing?

We'll plant ten acres of grass at Dismal River in 2011, with maybe sixty more to go in 2012 ... so it will open in 2013, at the earliest.  You might be able to hit a ball around in the fall of 2012, if we get off to a flying start.

I just asked our client at Mosaic their intended opening date for Streamsong.  They hope to open both courses in October, 2012.  I am guessing there won't be twenty other courses opened in the U.S. next year.

Bill's course in China, Shanquin Bay, should open at the end of this year or early next year.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 07:23:23 PM »
Thanks Tom. I was scratching my head there for a minute at those timetables. Well at least there are SOME good projects on the horizon!

Are there plans to offer a update tour at Mosaic's Streamsong again this Winter, around the PGA Show?

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 07:36:08 PM »
Gil Hanse Bandon? Pardon my ignorance, but will this be part of the resort. I've been logging on most days this year and haven't heard anything about it. Sounds exciting. Do you have much information on it?

From Golf Digest:

Assuming Bandon Dunes owner Mike Keiser gets the land and the appropriate permits, he told me in a phone interview on Thursday evening that he’d hire Gil Hanse to build another 27 holes along the southwest coast of Oregon.

“I like to work with a different designer each time, and it’s his time,” says Keiser, who has already spoken to Hanse about the project.

In an article on Thursday, printed in The World, a paper that serves the Bandon area, it says the resort’s GM will address the Oregon Parks and Recreation Commission next Wednesday to lay out the details of a potential land swap, and an addition to a golf complex that already has 72 holes, with another 13-hole short course in the works.

Keiser says the actual vote on whether there’s “overwhelming public benefit” could be tabled for an unspecified amount of time. “Overwhelming is a big word,” says Keiser. “And the question is, do they value public golf?”

Given all that Keiser and golf have brought to the area, which would include improvements to the environment, employment and tourism, not to mention significant donations to local education and health care, it’s not a reach to think Keiser will be operating a total of 112 holes at his hub of pure golf in the near future. It was also always a part of Keiser’s master plan.

Keiser, being Keiser, is doing everything he can to make it hard for the commission to say no to the deal. He says the land he’d be giving up is worth more, and that the land he’d be getting in exchange, which is four miles south of Bandon, and would be connected to the resort, is overgrown with gorse, which is a notorious fire hazard. Keiser’s plan is to clean it up and have Hanse and his partner, Jim Wagner, do what they do best.

Keiser hired David McLay Kidd for Bandon Dunes (1999), Tom Doak for Pacific Dunes (2001), Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw for Bandon Trails (’05), Tom Doak and Jim Urbina for Old Macdonald (’10) and Bill Coore for Bandon Preserve, the 13-hole par-3 course which is scheduled to open June 2012

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/blogs/wheres-matty-g/2011/07/if-there-are-another-27-holes.html#ixzz1XV986NFz

Tim Leahy

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 07:47:25 PM »
Any new courses being built in California in 2012-2013?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 08:04:53 PM »

I just asked our client at Mosaic their intended opening date for Streamsong.  They hope to open both courses in October, 2012.  

Let the planning for a preview trip begin.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 08:19:19 PM »
Thanks Tom. I was scratching my head there for a minute at those timetables. Well at least there are SOME good projects on the horizon!

Are there plans to offer a update tour at Mosaic's Streamsong again this Winter, around the PGA Show?

Cheers,
Kris 8)

Kris:

I do hope to go out and play with some people around the PGA Show, if the golf course(s) are in presentable shape, and if I don't have to be somewhere else.  However, we'll reserve judgment on that until the end of the year to see how the grow-in is progressing.  Other than a preview, there is no reason to be grooming up the courses eight months before opening day, so it's likely that they will be more than a little bit rough around the edges at that point.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 10:55:01 PM »
I for one cannot wait for 2012 to get here. I especially am looking forward to the Doak/C&C project in Florida

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 12:01:12 AM »
Gil Hanse Bandon? Pardon my ignorance, but will this be part of the resort. I've been logging on most days this year and haven't heard anything about it. Sounds exciting. Do you have much information on it?

Brian in addition to what Joel provided here are two threads on the topic
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48923.0.html
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48925.0.html

Will MacEwen

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 02:08:24 AM »
http://theunionbaycommunity.com/vision/our-vision/

According to this, Union Bay on Vancouver Island may open in 2012.  I live nearby but haven't heard much recently.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 09:22:01 PM »
Regarding the 2nd course at Ballyneal, I was just going off of what Matt Payne had told me earlier this summer, that they hoped to have it open for play sometime next year.  Maybe I misinterpreted what he meant by "hoped to have ready to play".  I don't know where exactly they are in the process. 
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Chris Johnston

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 11:11:13 PM »
Good pickup, Tom!  Dismal 2 won't be be playable until 2013.  I haven't heard anything about Ballyneal or Prairie out this way.  Probably too late to start anything now.   Let's all hope for some economic tailwind so the game can recover.

That said, I can hear the grass growing here.  Almost done for the year, a little more hyrdo work and we button things up until spring.

Tom, the greens are awesome!  Nicely played!

Happy Brithday tomorrow to Brian Slawnik's oldest!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:01:12 AM by Chris Johnston »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 11:57:47 AM »
The Steve Smyers "revitalization" of the former Player Course at Twin Eagles in Naples, FL will be opening soon:

http://www.twineagles.com/golf-eagle-course.html

http://www.stevesmyers.com/TwinEagles%20Press%20Release-November%202010.pdf
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Howard Riefs

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 01:54:26 PM »
Golfweek toplines the five public "newcomers to watch for" in 2012. The first two being most obvious:

Cabot Links

Streamsong

Salish Cliffs Golf Club (Shelton, Wash.)
Designer: Gene Bates

La Costa Resort and Spa
What was the North Course at La Costa is now the Champions Course, and the new moniker is just the beginning of the updating taking place on this celebrated 1965 Dick Wilson design by the architectural team of Damian Pascuzzo and Steve Pate in association with Jeff Brauer.

Max A. Mandel Municipal Golf Course (Laredo, Texas)
Designer: Robert Trent Jones II

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2011/nov/09/five-new-courses-watch-2012/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Michael George

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 02:12:16 PM »

I love the "half glass full' tone of this thread.  The worst golf course market in a long time and we are talking about the 3 courses that will open in the next 3 years.  Only on this website.  That being said, I am most excited about the Doak Dismal course.  To list a hole before it is even completed  on his 6500 compilation - Tom must be pretty excited.  Plus, I trust the reviews from CJ and the Dismal guys (we really should develop a nickname for these guys as they seem to increase in number every year). 

On the Bandon course, I talked to some people in Bandon about it when I was there last month.  The few that knew what was going on thought that the course was far from a sure thing and may never happen.  I am sure others know more, but I hear the additional land they need is not likely.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 03:41:01 PM »
I'd love to hear from Jeff about the goings on at La Costa.  That area south of LA has a surprising dearth of quality golf.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 02:32:26 PM »
The Smyers course at Twin Eagles will open January 1.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Scott Weersing

Re: 2012-2013 another new course??
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 09:02:21 PM »

Here is a new one for 2012: Cold Spring Country Club

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2012/4/17/2954746/cold-spring-country-club-golf-course

Does anyone know who designed it?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 09:30:55 PM »
Scott W,
The process had dragged on so long that the original course architect with New Hampshire-based Armstrong Associates has since .................. In addition, a number of greens have been re-shaped and the original drainage system has already been replaced.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:51:11 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Ash Towe

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 12:49:26 PM »
Tom Doak has a project north of Auckland.  I know he is  coming to visit soon but not sure of the timeline for the course.  It may be due to open in 2013 or possibly 2014.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 01:44:23 PM »
Tom Doak has a project north of Auckland.  I know he is  coming to visit soon but not sure of the timeline for the course.  It may be due to open in 2013 or possibly 2014.

Ash:

I'm not sure of the timetable yet, either.  We are thinking it's like Bandon, where we build as many holes as we can during the winter months, plant them in the spring, and then come back to finish the next winter.  So, we are hoping to have 9-12 holes playable by late in 2013, and the rest in 2014.  But, who knows?  We might finish them all if things go our way.

I'll be there May 4th to 9th unless my plans change again.  [They've changed twice in the past week.]

Ash Towe

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 04:33:08 PM »
Tom,
Thanks for the information.  Good luck with the weather over the winter.  It has been a fantastic autumn, making up for a poor summer.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 08:59:33 PM »
Scott W,
The process had dragged on so long that the original course architect with New Hampshire-based Armstrong Associates has since .................. In addition, a number of greens have been re-shaped and the original drainage system has already been replaced.

I was a bit excited to hear about this project from this thread, until I saw the pictures on their website and the claim that Cold Spring CC will "bring world class golf to Boston" and that the club sees themselves becoming "an international golf destination."  Ugh.

Looks fine, just not the things above.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back