News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Rich Goodale

Re: Scottish golf b$$m
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 10:43:48 AM »
Sean

No matter how much you moan, the price of golf (good, great and indifferent) is going up, and has been for the 40+ years I've played the game.  When I joined Dornoch (1981) the green fee was ~£3.50 and the annual subs were ~£35.  At that time I figured I could play a year's round of golf at Dornoch for the cost of 11-12 holes at Pebble Beach.  Today my subs are up 1000+% but the green fees are up 3000+%, and Pebble, whilst still extortionate is a relative bargain at $600/round, or whatever, and my Dornoch sub would just about get me through the 18.

There are two reasons for the relative price increases in Scotland (and the rest of the UK and Ireland).  Firstly, 30 years ago the conditions of the courses (even the very best) were shiite, even if quaint.  If putting over daisies was your thing, you were in hog heaven.  One of the reasons that UK golfers took their golfing holidays in Spain those days was they got better conditioned courses.  The second reason was just good old supply and demand.  As Mark Twain once said, "Golf is a good walk spoiled, even in Scotland, but they're not making any more linksland, so play them courses before they get too expensive!!"  I've done that, so I don't need to pay the exorbitant fees now.  That being said, I don't at all deny others from making that choice, particularly when you can pay ~£150+ to play a round on a good or even medicore course in the US.

I think you should quit golf and take up lawn bowling.  I'm thinking of it....

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

David_Tepper

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 10:59:30 AM »
Sean A. & Rich G. -

Looking at the tee time booking sheets for May, Dornoch is setting up to have one of its busiest golfing seasons ever.

DT

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 11:37:56 AM »
Sean

No matter how much you moan, the price of golf (good, great and indifferent) is going up, and has been for the 40+ years I've played the game.  When I joined Dornoch (1981) the green fee was ~£3.50 and the annual subs were ~£35.  At that time I figured I could play a year's round of golf at Dornoch for the cost of 11-12 holes at Pebble Beach.  Today my subs are up 1000+% but the green fees are up 3000+%, and Pebble, whilst still extortionate is a relative bargain at $600/round, or whatever, and my Dornoch sub would just about get me through the 18.

There are two reasons for the relative price increases in Scotland (and the rest of the UK and Ireland).  Firstly, 30 years ago the conditions of the courses (even the very best) were shiite, even if quaint.  If putting over daisies was your thing, you were in hog heaven.  One of the reasons that UK golfers took their golfing holidays in Spain those days was they got better conditioned courses.  The second reason was just good old supply and demand.  As Mark Twain once said, "Golf is a good walk spoiled, even in Scotland, but they're not making any more linksland, so play them courses before they get too expensive!!"  I've done that, so I don't need to pay the exorbitant fees now.  That being said, I don't at all deny others from making that choice, particularly when you can pay ~£150+ to play a round on a good or even medicore course in the US.

I think you should quit golf and take up lawn bowling.  I'm thinking of it....

Rich

Rihc

The price of golf has been sky rocketing these past 20 years.  As you say

Nah, I don't need to give the game up.  I just need to keep doing what I have these past several years; be selective about courses and continue to cross poor value courses off the list no matter how good they are.  Oh yes, I nearly forgot, continue to play lots of winter golf and utilize the county card.  There is still plenty of good golf to be had for fair prices. 

You shouldn't laugh about bowls.  I tried some short mat bowling this winter in the village hall - it was alright.  I am scheduled to do some crown green bowling this summer - I always thought it looked fun, but man the whites are a killer.

BTW - extortionate and relative bargain are terms which can only be used in the manner you have whilst in Ireland or by the Irish. 

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Matt MacIver

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 12:24:02 PM »
Check me but I think the rate quoted for Troon and Carnoustie is for two rounds, one on each of their courses?  And wouldn't the Muirfield rate be for the two sessions and maybe even the lunch? 

Rich Goodale

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 02:19:37 PM »
Check me but I think the rate quoted for Troon and Carnoustie is for two rounds, one on each of their courses?  And wouldn't the Muirfield rate be for the two sessions and maybe even the lunch? 

Troon does include the Portland, Matt, but the other ones are one round only (I think).  Almost all of the courses listed offer various sorts of deals regarding times, multiple courses, day tickets, etc..  You can check the websites to find out.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Niall C

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 04:52:06 PM »
Again we're talking about the Open rota and similar courses. If you're talking about golf in general in the highlands and indeed elsewhere there are any number of courses offering fantastic deals. To state that CS or Dornoch is pushing the greenfees up on other surrounding courses just doesn't bear analysis from what I can see.

As an example I joined Moray GC last year for £250 which included my joining fee and golf for the rest of the year (8 months). In my humble opinion Old Moray rates with any of the courses listed by Rich and Moray New aint too bad either.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2012, 05:45:26 PM »
To add to Niall's comment, Moray is a great deal both membership and GF and Tain are offering a 3 day GF for £90 which value for money blows RD out of the water IMHO

Jon

Mark Pearce

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 08:33:57 AM »
Sean,

This thread reminds me we need to arrange a weekend for a trip to Elie. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back