News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Sam Morrow

Re: Preston Trail in Dallas
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 07:19:07 PM »
Does everyone agree that Whispering Pines is the best in Texas?

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 07:49:50 PM »

It is pretty darn good, and a complete shocker to a non TX guy that happened upon it a year and a half ago.  It is in the middle of nowhere and not a big name architect as I recall, but the course blew me away!!!

As far as an answer to the original question on this thread I would simply attribute it to the fact that as a fairly well traveled national guy I have played 90% of the courses of note in the DFW metro area over the last 10 years on various business trips.  I have however never been able to play Preston Trail or Brook Hollow, both of which I have approached on several occasions.  While my story in and of itself is strictly anecdotal if it is the same for everyone then I would surmise that PT and BH do not get nearly the level or ratings that say Dallas National or Colonial do.

I completely understand why a club would want to have the policies it does, and I do not feel at all slighted, upset, or fault them for their position.  I don't want to come across as saying anything of the sort, but it certainly effects how they will fare in the ratings.  Again I understand why they may or may not care about that, but when the question is asked I wanted to throw in my perspective on why that discrepancy might be.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Sam Morrow

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 11:51:23 PM »
I got a little sneak peak today, Whispering Pines is adding a short course!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 11:56:08 PM »

No.

Turboe
It is a Nicklaus course - by one of his long time associates - Chet Williams
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

mike_beene

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 12:16:34 AM »
Mike, didn't the owner Corby or someone working for him do the basic routing and then later hire the Nicklaus people to finish it out?I doubt you could do any rerouting because of the massive brush and tree clearing that would be necessary.I will say it is one of my  five favorites in the state. It is my favorite when I am there playing it,but so are several others.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 12:21:20 AM »

No.

Turboe
It is a Nicklaus course - by one of his long time associates - Chet Williams

How about this Mike, is Whispering Pines the best course in Texas that people actually get to play? ;)

Sam Morrow

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2012, 12:21:52 AM »
Mike, didn't the owner Corby or someone working for him do the basic routing and then later hire the Nicklaus people to finish it out?I doubt you could do any rerouting because of the massive brush and tree clearing that would be necessary.I will say it is one of my  five favorites in the state. It is my favorite when I am there playing it,but so are several others.

Let's hear your 5 Mike!

mike_beene

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2012, 12:33:47 AM »
Sam,here goes my quick list but I have an early flight so I may regret shooting from the hip. This is my list and I don't expect agreement.In no particular order:Whispering Pines,Brook Hollow,Lakewood,Shady Oaks,Pine Dunes,Applerock at Horseshoe Bay and my two sleepers are Ridgewood in Waco and depending in where you draw the state line,Dornick Hills. I have not played San Antonio or Houston so this is a very regional list

Sam Morrow

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2012, 12:41:33 AM »
Sam,here goes my quick list but I have an early flight so I may regret shooting from the hip. This is my list and I don't expect agreement.In no particular order:Whispering Pines,Brook Hollow,Lakewood,Shady Oaks,Pine Dunes,Applerock at Horseshoe Bay and my two sleepers are Ridgewood in Waco and depending in where you draw the state line,Dornick Hills. I have not played San Antonio or Houston so this is a very regional list

Ridgewood is an interesting sleeper but a good course. Can we invade and take Dornick?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2012, 12:42:25 AM »
Mike
That is more information than I know.

Sam
I would agree with that statement far more than your first
:)
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2012, 12:46:18 AM »
Mike
That is more information than I know.

Sam
I would agree with that statement far more than your first
:)

Thanks Mike. As for Beene asking about the routing someone told me that Whispering Pines was routed maybe as far back as the late 80's. Camp Olympia has been around for years. Corby also looks to be adding some new stuff on his property left of 18.

mike_beene

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2012, 12:53:15 AM »
A waterfall I think?With that I do need to add Dallas National to my list which kind of hurts since Fazio does so much stuff I don't like.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2012, 12:57:19 AM »
A waterfall I think?With that I do need to add Dallas National to my list which kind of hurts since Fazio does so much stuff I don't like.

I really, really like Dallas National. I think it's awesome but a ball buster, I birdied 10 and 12 to get back under par then proceeded to bogey out. I did par 18 at Whispering Pines today though.

BVince

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 02:08:06 PM »
I played Preston Trail yesterday morning and I felt that it was better than Dallas National.  The greens at PT were so quick and I thought it played difficult although it was not very long.  The player must pay attention when approaching the green sites because any short sided miss can punish your score in a hurry.  I also thought the course had sneakingly great topography for being located in a relatively flat area of North Dallas.  I have not played all of the Dallas great courses but I feel that it is the best I have played thus far. 
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Sam Morrow

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 11:37:06 PM »
I played Preston Trail yesterday morning and I felt that it was better than Dallas National.  The greens at PT were so quick and I thought it played difficult although it was not very long.  The player must pay attention when approaching the green sites because any short sided miss can punish your score in a hurry.  I also thought the course had sneakingly great topography for being located in a relatively flat area of North Dallas.  I have not played all of the Dallas great courses but I feel that it is the best I have played thus far. 

What else have you played in Dallas?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back