News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

Impact of a poorly sited practice green
« on: April 11, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »
Or at least I think it’s poorly sited.

One of the clubs that I’m a member of has practice areas on both sides of the clubhouse and outward/inward holes.  The west range is primarily for short game practice, with a basic long game range on the right side. The club wanted to improve the practice areas and contacted an architect for help.

The plan for the west range seems like an ingenious use of the available space.  One of the benefits will be to double the size of the current practice green – from under 4,000 sq ft to around 8,000.  This will allow more greenside practice as well as fuller shots.

Unfortunately, that increase in practice green space wasn’t enough. The club also decided to add an additional practice green adjacent to the east driving range.  That green will be around 5,000 sq ft.  Forgetting about the maintenance cost of all this additional green space and whether or not the area is needed, my issue is with the location of the new practice green.

Below are a couple of aerials.  The first shows the planned practice green location labeled as “practice” in the triangular area between the 18th & 12th fairways.  You can see the driving range tees above the practice area

This view zooms in on the area.  The crudely-drawn circle shows the approximate location of the practice green.  The edge is about 30 yards from the black tee on #13, and 50 yards from the 12th green.  

Finally, here’s a view of the 12th green from the fairway.  The new practice green will be about the same size as the 12th green, and located just over the cart path where that stand of trees currently is.

Forgetting thoughts on the cost of the new green and of maintaining all of the additional green surface, I think it will have a negative impact on the aesthetics and playing of the course.  The architect’s drawing did not show which trees will be removed, but for turf health it seems the majority of them will need to be (note:  they all have been removed - I didn't know this as it wasn't in the plan emailed out and I haven't been there since January).  This means an exposed green in an odd part on the course, with people practicing near where players are hitting approach shots (18), tee shots (13) and putting (12).  So while some see additional practice space, I dread the visual impact of an out-of-place green along with noise from people and carts.

I’m interested in other people’s thoughts on this new green.  It won’t take a very skilled sleuth to figure out which course I’m talking about, but I’m really more interested in the design feedback than on discussions of course politics.  It would be great if I find out I’m worried about nothing.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:13:38 PM by John Mayhugh »

Eric Smith

Re: Impact of a poorly sited practice green
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 05:37:06 PM »
Convert 13 to the opener with the finish now at 12 and then it would seem just about normal to have people practicing on both sides of you when teeing off (from the back tee at 13). Of course I'm only joking (sort of), but if I'm picturing this as you describe John, and I think you're right in that many of those trees there will have to go, then IMO having a new practice green there could prove to be an annoying element to playing golf on that corner of the property.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 05:51:40 PM »
Hole 18 looks like a par 5. Won't sliced second shots end up in the new practice area? Seems like a liability issue and I am surprised that an architect would draw such plans.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 06:07:55 PM »
As far as I can tell, the biggest problem is that its just too far from the clubhouse to use regularly, unless they simply close the other one for turf rest.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom Yost

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 06:11:02 PM »
Does seem like that would have some negative effect on the feng shui.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 06:12:39 PM »
Hole 18 looks like a par 5. Won't sliced second shots end up in the new practice area? Seems like a liability issue and I am surprised that an architect would draw such plans.

The 18th is a par 5.  The practice green will be about 400 yards from the regular tees, so it's possible that a ball or two could end up sliced over there. 

JMEvensky

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 06:14:38 PM »

As far as I can tell, the biggest problem is that its just too far from the clubhouse to use regularly, unless they simply close the other one for turf rest.

The same thing is happening at my place.

Did any non-golfers have a say in this location?

Bill Brightly

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 06:16:57 PM »
I guess they will leave the first set of trees at the top of the triangle, which will provide some screening. But at 400 yards, thats just about where badly sliced second shots (assume 3 woods) can end up.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:21:52 PM by Bill Brightly »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »

The same thing is happening at my place.

Did any non-golfers have a say in this location?

Playing member driven - maybe just people that aren't distracted easily.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 06:18:17 PM »
I guess they will leave the first set of trees at the top of the triangle, which wil provide some screening. But at 400 yards, thats just about where badly sliced second shots (assume 3 woods) can end up.

Nope, all of the trees in that area have been removed. 

Bill Brightly

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 06:22:46 PM »
Well, fire away... and look out for the hot hooks from 12...

J_ Crisham

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 06:44:34 PM »
John,   Since this doesn't look like Merion from the pictures, this must be your other club that is in the Southeast? ;)

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 07:20:46 PM »
I think its a pretty good spot, it might not be the very best place but what other options are there? Its safe enough from 12 and at 18 the current practice tees are more vulnerable. Strikes me as a fairly inexpensive way to locate this green, perhaps the very back 13th tee could be lost if the club does not need the length and the green could be located more toward this area.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 08:35:57 PM »
I think its a pretty good spot, it might not be the very best place but what other options are there? Its safe enough from 12 and at 18 the current practice tees are more vulnerable. Strikes me as a fairly inexpensive way to locate this green, perhaps the very back 13th tee could be lost if the club does not need the length and the green could be located more toward this area.

Adrian,
The thing is, it's not safe from 18. I've seen plenty of balls mishit into that area.   I think one good option would have been to not build the green at all.

Jack,
It is in the southeast. As for Merion, still waiting for that letter.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 08:40:23 PM »
As for Merion, still waiting for that letter.

Shoot... I'd already started working on my pitch!  :'(
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 11:51:10 PM »
As you may remember John, we have a practice green at the far end of our range that requires a cart or a harrowing walk the wrong way down the ninth fairway to reach.  It does not present the visual issues you identify but the biggest issue is that no one uses it. 

There are some positives.  I like to use it.  It also is a terrific place for group short game lessons for beginners who can minimize embarrassment. 

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 06:15:17 AM »

Adrian,
The thing is, it's not safe from 18. I've seen plenty of balls mishit into that area.   

John in your earlier quote you said you had seen one or two balls hit there. It seems to me likely that the larger trees should protect this green from errant second shots on 18, though nothing will prevent everything. It also appears to me that the safety margins between 18 and the hole to the left and 18 in relation to that practice tee and the 12th tee to a green to the right would be bigger problems from this 2D drawing..You know better though since its your club, perhaps those are not problems.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

john_stiles

Re: Impact of a poorly sited practice green New
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 10:57:38 PM »
This new 5000 sq ft practice green in the east, considering there will also be a large new 8000 sq ft practice green to the west, is unnecessary and poorly sited inside the course.

As to club politics,  the west range practice area work will result in a new 8,000 sq ft green for practice putting/chipping/bunker shots.  This west area is as close or closer than the new east range practice green.    

This new 5,000 sq ft on the east is not really needed, much less located  'inside'  the course.   So the practice green area goes from about present 3,000 sq ft to 13,000 sq ft, and project committee made no survey of members needs or uses.   Could easily add this eastern practice green at a later date.

This new east practice green is VERY close to the back tees on 13th, which tees I played today.  You will hear the practice bunker shots at the back 13th tees.    Carts will zoom from this practice green up the hill to the clubhouse past the area of players on the 18th hitting their 3rd to the green.   This is an unwanted, unnecessary distraction to play of the 18th.

Using donated funds (no money in budget for tree clearing) to clear unnecessary white pines dotting the course,  this area is now open,  offering additional long golf vistas,  only to be now  crowded with carts zooming around and parked at the interior practice green.  Lovely.

As to details, the 13,000 sq ft of new greens, 4 new bunkers, new east practice tee and down range grading, will be expensive.

However, even a doubting member,  such as myself,  is quite sure the new east and west practice greens will turn out quite well  as to construction with the oversight of an excellent architect.

Just wish the committee had not designed a practice green INSIDE the course.

Club also needed more bids from qualified companies.  I recommended another young man for 'only' the  construction work, well qualified to construct such a practice facility or a entire golf course. At least, there would have been two bids from established golf construction companies. Alas, it fell on deaf ears.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:20:50 PM by john_stiles »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back