News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

The best trees in golf
« on: April 10, 2012, 11:58:28 AM »
I do believe that without question ANGC now possess the best set of trees in golf.  Last year or so it was Phil out of them on 13.  This year the trees on 18 produced amazing drama, Phil not excluded.  And without question, the tournament was won from the trees on 10.

At least come tournament time, besides the finest creek and greens, the trees at Augusta provide what we all really want to see from the comfort of home.  Drama, drama, drama.

note:  The trees behind 12 may be the best of all.

Eric Smith

Re: The best trees in golf
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:16:29 PM »

note:  The trees behind 12 may be the best of all.

Here is a shot taken last June from behind those trees:

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:18:33 PM »
John, agreed.

While they may take away from the original strategic intent of the holes, the certainly do create opportunities for creative shot-making/recoveries.

Dense forest and sparse trees are not the same thing.

JSlonis

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:35:58 PM »
The new trees on # 7, 11 & 17 have totally changed the way those holes play and I don't think for the better.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 02:35:44 PM »
The best trees are felled trees and out of play trees and arboretum trees.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Aaron McMaster

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 02:47:06 PM »

^^^This

Bruce Katona

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 02:55:49 PM »
.....on a golf course are those just immediately run through the wood chipper and are now being used to mulch the planting beds around the clubhouse and other out-of-play on site landscaped areas.

Neil White

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 02:57:47 PM »
John,

I kind of get where you are coming from re the trees at Augusta, but what of the Bamboo?  :-\

Neil.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 03:14:27 PM »
You have to be wrong, JK.  We have all been informed that Michigan is where all the trees are perfect- perfect height and shape.  This of course translates to Michigan golf courses, which if that is where the best trees exist, thus their courses have the best trees.  So, maybe Crystal Downs has the best trees in golf. 

Then again JK, you may actually know that the best trees in golf are featured at Dismal River, where they use them at night in their fire pit.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 03:24:57 PM »
Romney knows trees. His friend owns Weyerhaeuser.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:26:31 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jim Johnson

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 03:39:37 PM »
This is a shot of Henrik Stenson in the Monday morning practice round several years ago, hitting his approach into the 13th green.
I love the huge tree in the foreground ...

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 03:50:21 PM »
JK - you're right; but hell, give me a bunch of trees spaced so far apart and so high-limbed and manicured so perfectly and even I could hit a good golf shot out from 'under' them when it mattered.   Once again, another example of the rich getting richer -- perfect sand in the bunkers, no rough to speak of, reachable Par 5s, greens that roll true and fast, and trees you can hit around (both ways).  The good have every chance to look great there at Augusta.

Peter

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:52:23 PM by PPallotta »

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 03:59:13 PM »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 04:11:38 PM »
I actually like the pine trees in the left half of the 15th fairway.  They add to the challenge of the hole by narrowing the fairway for those who want to go for the green in two, they create a challenge for those who think they can safely hook around them, and they are open enough for layups through them.   If they weren't there I think a lot of second shots would be with mid irons from the left side of the fairway.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 05:08:29 PM »
While I'm not generally a fan of trees in play unless properly sited, JK's point about the tree-related drama and risk-reward, artful shotmaking executed by the professionals in this tournament is a strong one.

Where they've added them to significantly change the playing characteristics of the hole...now that's another matter, and I'd tend to side with Mr. Slonis on that score.

At the end of the day, what goes down at Augusta is pretty unique to that locale alone. It is what it is...or isn't...I guess that is the beauty of one's own view. Trees have their place in golf. To each their own. The major for me, The Open Championship, is where it's at...and there are seldom many trees in that presentation.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 05:13:51 PM »
Trees are like booze: good in moderation.  A good time can be had without, as well, but too much and you've got problems.

There are a few holes I know of where one specific tree MAKES the hole.  I guess some would disagree, but I think it's okay
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 05:18:07 PM »

The best trees in golf are now clubs or second best, Bar Tops.
Trees have a bigger drink problem than any AA Member
The best designers keep trees way off the fairway.
Save a tree, move it off a golf course

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 05:27:04 PM »
 :)

as opposed to the set of trees at the next major, at Olympic.

Sean Leary

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 06:58:27 PM »
I like trees for the pros.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 08:22:47 PM »

I like imaginary trees the best.

Steve Lang

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 09:02:01 PM »
 8) Definitely those center fairway oaks on #5 and#10 at Oaktree Nat'l in Edmond, OK..

and for those that haven't been to Michigan, here's the size of lumber in some parts

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back