News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

...For those not wanting to go through the 30 page photo thread, I present all [wonderful] 18 holes at The Kingsley Club!

ENJOY!

The Kingsley Club
Kingsley, Michigan, USA

Mike DeVries (2001)

Entrance

Routing

Scorecard Information

Hole 1: Par 5, 602 Yards

One of the great opening holes I have ever played.  The 1st is routed over some of the wildest terrain at Kingsley.  Seeing the width of the split-fairway and the danger that lurks with the centreline hazard from the clubhouse/putting green one can't but be excited.  But, when the golfer crests the hill on the 1st and the green comes into view, he knows he is in for a very special round of golf!

The tee shot from the gold tee deck is not as elastic as from the sets that are farther to the left.  From here, nearly all golfers will play up the right fairway.

Gold Tee at Sunrise (with frost!):

Gold Tee at Sunrise:

Gold Tee:

Blue Tee: A more interesting tee shot from here.  How comfortable are you on the 1st shot of the day? Play over the corner of the bunkers to leave a simpler second, or not challenge the carry and play down the left?

View from top of hill on right: Tons of width for those willing to leave a 150 yard approach, but the fairway narrows significantly after than.

View from the left:

The approach from 150 yards out is very uphill and the green's surface is entirely hidden:

The view from 100 yards out:

False-Front on the 1st:

The green is split in half by a ridge running across its centre:

1st as seen from behind.  Punchbowl contouring will serve to kick shots onto the 1st green, but it is highly internal contoured and 3-putts (or more) must be fairly common!

Hole 2: Par 3, 161 Yards

An unbelievably difficult short par-3.  A small green with almost no room to miss anywhere (though I've been told long is OK).  Short-left is fine, but the target there is so small it cannot be played for.  

The pin as pictured is on a small piece of green that juts out to the right.  The foolish golfer will play straight towards the pin at the risk of finding the very deep ditch short-right of the green, or the deep bunker just short of the green.  The smart golfer will use the green's contours, which allow a ball that lands in the green's centre to kick towards this portion of the green.

Gold Tee:  

Green as seen from behind: Note that left of the green is very big trouble with deep fescue and a gorge

2nd as seen from 3rd tee (5th green in foreground):

Hole 3: Par 4, 426 Yards -- I am likely in the minority but this was my favourite tee shot on the golf course.  With the flag in clear view from the tee I was tempted to try and cut-the-corner, perhaps more-so than was advised by my host.  Despite the width of available fairway to the left I could not help but try to play down the right.

Back Tee View:

Middle Tee View:

In my three plays I never did succeed in playing down the right-side of the fairway.  I wonder if one did skirt these bunkers would the slope of the fairway kick the tee shot into the rough/bunkering?  What I did find out is that if you take enough club to carry the bunkers and pull your tee shot, the hog back fairway will send your ball into a deep dip in the left rough.  From there you are left with a completely blind approach to an unforgiving green.

The entire 3rd green tilts toward the low-point short-right of the green.  Any shot that misses the green short-right will collect to an area from which recovery is extremely difficult to a front pin and near impossible and extremely nerve-wracking to a back pin.

If you do find the collection area, don't feel bad, you're not the first to do so.  Note the divot mix waiting for you!

He may have addressed this in the other Kingsley thread, but I wonder if Crystal Downs' 7th was the inspiration for this green?

Hole 4: Par 4, 411 Yards - Though there are no penalties to be had, the tee shot at the 4th is extremely demanding. Much like the tee shot at the 3rd, there is a small 'sweet spot' in the centre of the fairway -- one could go 'round Kingsley many times and not find it.

The fairway is mostly blind from the tee; hopefully your host can properly point out the ideal line (mine did, but I didn't follow instructions).  Tee shots slightly left will funnel left leaving a short approach but an awkward angle over some bunkering / tall grass.  Tee shots slightly  right will funnel right into a hollow leaving a longer and completely blind but forgiving approach up the throat of the green.  Most will never find the centre of the fairway so no point describing the approach from there.

Tee View:

From the start of the fairway one can see the wild undulations..

Note my ball on the small ledge in the centre of the fairway...

Approach from centre:

Approach from left:

The green is one of the tamer ones at KC.  The first 2/3 of the green has little contour, sloping generally from back-to-front.  A ridge runs across the green 2/3 the way back and that's where the fun begins.  A few looks at the green...

An interesting routing decision to cross behind the 4th green on the way to the 3rd tee. I have hypothesized that this routing decision allows architects to build a bolder/blinder green than they otherwise might as the golfer has the opportunity to see the green up-close before playing it proper, though that theory is not confirmed here...

4th green as seen from 6th fairway.  A MacKenzie feel, anyone?

Hole 5: Par 3, 222 Yards

Hole 6: Par 4, 396 Yards

Hole 7: Par 5, 569 Yards

Hole 8: Par 4, 360 Yards

Hole 9: Par 3, 165/135 Yards

Hole 10: Par 4, 446 Yards

Hole 11: Par 3, 180 Yards

Hole 12: Par 4, 455 Yards

Hole 13: Par 4, 292 Yards

Hole 14: Par 5, 510 Yards

Hole 15: Par 4, 465 Yards

Hole 16: Par 3, 225 Yards

Hole 17: Par 5, 544 Yards

Hole 18: Par 4, 422 Yards

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 09:18:36 AM by Mark Saltzman »

Morgan Clawson

Re: The Kingsley Club (DeVries) - A Photo Tour - All 18 Holes Up!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:49:51 PM »
Great work Mark - brings back good memories...

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:26:31 AM »
A course I have never actually gone through a set of photos of. Looks like brilliant land and I love the almost heathy aesthetic of a few holes.

The 9th looks like a much better hole from the left tee. For those who know it well from both tees, is that the case?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 07:20:33 AM »
Thanks Mark.  Great photos!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 07:38:35 AM »
Mark, thanks for posting!

One thing that I always amazes me is how different the club looks based on the season (spring, summer, and fall) and the state of the native grasses - what is in bloom, how recently it has been cut back, etc...

A really special place and looking forward to my first trip there this year the first weekend in May!

JC Jones

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 08:07:30 AM »
This has me looking forward to July!

The best course in Michigan.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 08:20:47 AM »
Mark,

Thanks for posting.  What were your favorite and least favorite holes?

Scott,

the ninth is a better hole from the left IMO. 

JC,

Really?  looking forward to another dressing down?

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim Bert

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
Scott - I have played the 9th hole more frequently from the "left" or West tee but I am not convinced it is a better hole from there. A little softer on the scorecard perhaps.  I tend to play it more because the walk is more convenient to the tee from 8 and then to the green on 9. I think the fact that the South tee is terrifying also plays into my decision though I won't admit it. The red tee from the South side, which looks high above the hole is a fun treat as it plays like a knee-knocking 100 yard drop shot. The member tee from the South is as demanding as you want a par 3, and the gold tee on that side is simply crushing for anyone but a strong player.

Finally the West tee has the hole playing in a slightly different direction than the other par 3s but relatively similar to 2 and 11. The South tee forces a significantly different direction that is not played on any of the other par 3s on the course.

JC Jones

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:32:12 AM »

JC,

Really?  looking forward to another dressing down?

You will lose and all I will have is my PW.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

George Freeman

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »
Mark - thanks for the photo tour.  Would love to hear your detailed thoughts on the course!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

George Freeman

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 10:41:39 AM »
The 9th looks like a much better hole from the left tee. For those who know it well from both tees, is that the case?

Scott - what you're calling the "left" tees are the west tees; the other set is considered the south tees.

I think it depends a lot on pin placement.  I actually like the "look" of the hole from the south tees.  I think it plays better from the south tees for a pin in the west/left bowl (you get the fun backstop) and for a pin on the small shelf at the "elbow" of the green.  The elbow shelf pin placement would be damn near impossible from the west tees.

For pins on the south finger or "plank" of the green, I prefer the west tee as the shot is much more about distance control over directional control (which would be opposite if played to that pin from the south tees - a very tough shot).
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 09:57:59 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for posting.  What were your favorite and least favorite holes?

Jud,

I loved Kingsley [as I think you know]!

Congratulations are certainly in order for the Club Super (is that Dan Lucas of GCA?) as the conditioning in October was phenomenal.  An absolutely perfect match of maintenance meld to architecture.

I have read many comments that suggest that Crystal Downs and Kingsley are very similar (or at the least Kingsley and Mr. DeVries was inspired by CD)... I just didn't see that.  Both courses have a great set of greens and are very strategic designs, but the same could be said of many of the country's best courses.  Kingsley's terrain feels more rugged, the layout more spread-out (though I don't think it actually is) and the features larger in scale.  They are close geographically but that's about it in my mind.

Some hole-by-hole thoughts:

1: One of the very best opening holes I've played.  If you recall, we had it into the wind each of the three times we played it and it was a bear.  I think the hole is considerably better when played from the left (south?) tees.  There really is a decision to make there about whether to go left or right of the centreline hazards.  Into the wind the tee shot over the bunkers is certainly no gimme, but the huge reward means it almost must be taken on if at all possible.  From the tees by the clubhouse I can't see anyone ever playing left on purpose.

Then, I love the extreme width around the 150 yard mark and the constant narrowing of the fairway as the golfer gets nearer the green.

And it's a great green.  The ridge running across its centre, just slightly diagonal to the line of play, seems to place just the right level of precision for a first approach.  The punchbowl nature of the green is forgiving, but the false-front and internal contouring are not.

2: Playing it on only one day and to only one pin I'm going to reserve judgement here.  It is one of the most difficult short par-3s I've played.  Missing short-left seems to be the only possible way of making 3 after missing the green.  Short-right, and anything left are dead.  Really like the clever green contouring to bring balls to the right portion of the green.

...More to come.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 11:05:21 PM »
Saltz

Those pics are terrific!

Nice place - nicely played.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:59:23 AM by Chris Johnston »

JC Jones

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 03:42:16 AM »
Saltzy,

I'm sorry you had to play with Jud.  I hope that didn't affect your feelings about the course.

I will agree with you that there is a large difference between the two courses.  While I think you can see Mike D's CD influence at Kingsley, and his other courses as well, I think the comparison should end there.  I think it is unfortunate that the courses get compared, due in large part to their geography.  I think this because I agree with Tim Bert in that if the ages of the courses were flipped, so would the rankings.

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 03:57:23 AM »
To add a few thoughts to comments from George, Tim and Jud on the 9th:

1) The biggest and most obvious difference between the west (left) and south tees is distance.  The drop shot from the west requires a 9-iron or wedge from the tips, whereas the south tee is normally a 6 or 7.  That makes a significant difference when trying to hit a fairly precise shot.

2) To a pin in the west bowl, there isn't a huge difference in approach to the hole.  It's fairly receptive from either tee and unless you hit a serious pull (from the west tees) or thin it over the green (from the south) onto the top of the hill, that pin offers the easiest recovery shot.

3) To the top plateau or the the south "plank" as George describes it is a different story.  The shorter distance from the west tees typically eggs players into taking dead aim.  With the combination of changing winds and firmness of the greens, you will see more balls of the east (back, from those tees) side of the green from that tee, which is a very difficult up and down...and oftentimes a very difficult up-up and down when one misses the green of the first attempt at recovery.

3a) From the south tees, the miss to those pins is usually inside the elbow of the green.  Not necessarily an easy three, but definitely an easier four.

I don't believe that one tee is definitively better than the other, as each present a number of options and challenges in trying to hole out.  But I do very much enjoy having both available, especially when it means I can drag Jud or Tim to the back south tees when trying to close out the front  ;)

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 03:58:23 AM »

JC -- When will you be up in July?  If over the 4th, I'd happily take some one-club action...

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 06:18:54 AM »
Tim and Andrew,

I hadn't really thought of it before, but perhaps the reason I prefer the west tee on #9 is because I'm a lefty and my main miss with my irons is a pull.  So from the south tee it's a very difficult shot.  I either go right at it and risk ending up in the dead zone right, or take the extra club and play over the edge of the bunkers to the back of the green and end up with a brutal 2 putt.  From the west tee, as long as I don't over club, a pull will put me in the elbow with a reasonable chance at getting up and down.

Mark,

On #2 the area short left is very small even if one were looking to lay up.  If short one usually ends up either catching the hill and ending up all the way down the hill to the right or catching the front left bunker.  The best miss IMO is long, either in the back bunker or just off the back right.  Then one can play back along the length of the green.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:23:50 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 07:17:41 AM »

JC -- When will you be up in July?  If over the 4th, I'd happily take some one-club action...

I'll be in Charlevoix June 27ish to August 7ish.  Just about any day in that window works for me.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 11:04:38 PM »

I think it is unfortunate that the courses get compared, due in large part to their geography.  I think this because I agree with Tim Bert in that if the ages of the courses were flipped, so would the rankings.

JC,

Agree it is unfortunate that the courses get compared.  Of course each person will have his (or her) favourite, but don't go to Northern Michigan for one day, go for two and spend a day at each.  Anyone that decides only to play Crystal Downs because of its higher rank is making a huge mistake.  Right from the first hole on each course, you know the course is special.  I mean, come on, how awesome is it cresting that hill at Kingsley for the first time... I got a giddy feeling.. knew I was in for a special day (again, company aside  ;D)

George Freeman

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »
Mark,

Thanks for posting.  What were your favorite and least favorite holes?

Jud,

I loved Kingsley [as I think you know]!

Congratulations are certainly in order for the Club Super (is that Dan Lucas of GCA?) as the conditioning in October was phenomenal.  An absolutely perfect match of maintenance meld to architecture.

I have read many comments that suggest that Crystal Downs and Kingsley are very similar (or at the least Kingsley and Mr. DeVries was inspired by CD)... I just didn't see that.  Both courses have a great set of greens and are very strategic designs, but the same could be said of many of the country's best courses.  Kingsley's terrain feels more rugged, the layout more spread-out (though I don't think it actually is) and the features larger in scale.  They are close geographically but that's about it in my mind.

Some hole-by-hole thoughts:

1: One of the very best opening holes I've played.  If you recall, we had it into the wind each of the three times we played it and it was a bear.  I think the hole is considerably better when played from the left (south?) tees.  There really is a decision to make there about whether to go left or right of the centreline hazards.  Into the wind the tee shot over the bunkers is certainly no gimme, but the huge reward means it almost must be taken on if at all possible.  From the tees by the clubhouse I can't see anyone ever playing left on purpose.

Then, I love the extreme width around the 150 yard mark and the constant narrowing of the fairway as the golfer gets nearer the green.

And it's a great green.  The ridge running across its centre, just slightly diagonal to the line of play, seems to place just the right level of precision for a first approach.  The punchbowl nature of the green is forgiving, but the false-front and internal contouring are not.

2: Playing it on only one day and to only one pin I'm going to reserve judgement here.  It is one of the most difficult short par-3s I've played.  Missing short-left seems to be the only possible way of making 3 after missing the green.  Short-right, and anything left are dead.  Really like the clever green contouring to bring balls to the right portion of the green.

...More to come.

Mark - it doesn't look like you ever finished your hole-by-hole analysis/commentary of Kingsley Club.  In fact, you stopped at #2!

Would love to hear your thoughts on the rest of the course.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Michael Herrmann

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 12:32:46 PM »
Outstanding photo tour and I too would be interested to hear more thoughts on the playing options on each hole.

Although the public options in the general area are strong, I can't help thinking that when I'll be up in the TC area in a few weeks on family vacation I'll be missing out on a very special place.

Jason Topp

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 01:04:12 PM »
Thanks for posting.  It has been a few years since my weekend there.  For me holes, 4, 15 and 17 stand out in memory but this photo tour reminds me of so many cool additional holes:

5 - my favorite punchbowl
8 -very difficult green to hit
11 - a very nice short par 3
12 - great downhill hole
13 - crazy green
14 - a nice short par five that pinches in the closer you approach
16 - terrific redan
18 - I love the double punchbowl green and the calculation that goes into trying to hit it close by using a toilet bowl effect rather than aiming at the flag.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 11:15:58 PM »
Hole 3: Par 4, 426 Yards -- I am likely in the minority but this was my favourite tee shot on the golf course.  With the flag in clear view from the tee I was tempted to try and cut-the-corner, perhaps more-so than was advised by my host.  Despite the width of available fairway to the left I could not help but try to play down the right.

Back Tee View:

Middle Tee View:

In my three plays I never did succeed in playing down the right-side of the fairway.  I wonder if one did skirt these bunkers would the slope of the fairway kick the tee shot into the rough/bunkering?  What I did find out is that if you take enough club to carry the bunkers and pull your tee shot, the hog back fairway will send your ball into a deep dip in the left rough.  From there you are left with a completely blind approach to an unforgiving green.

The entire 3rd green tilts toward the low-point short-right of the green.  Any shot that misses the green short-right will collect to an area from which recovery is extremely difficult to a front pin and near impossible and extremely nerve-wracking to a back pin.

If you do find the collection area, don't feel bad, you're not the first to do so.  Note the divot mix waiting for you!

He may have addressed this in the other Kingsley thread, but I wonder if Crystal Downs' 7th was the inspiration for this green?

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
Mark,

You are correct that this is one of the best driving holes on the course.   There is a small area in the center that will propel your ball forward to the garden spot, otherwise you pick your poison right or left.  The tee shot on number four has similar characteristics but given that the green is much more receptive, it doesn't have the same pucker factor off the tee.  A great hole that, along with numbers 2, 8, and 13 one can never be completely comfortable on.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 09:22:14 AM by Jud Tigerman »

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 09:54:37 AM »
Mark,

You are correct that this is one of the best driving holes on the course.   There is a small area in the center that will propel your ball forward to the garden spot, otherwise you pick your poison right or left.  The tee shot on number four has similar characteristics but given that the green is much more receptive, it doesn't have the same pucker factor off the tee.  A great hole that, along with numbers 2, 8, and 13 one can never be completely comfortable on.

This is a great driving hole...my second shot is usually from the native or bunker on the right or a blind shot from down by the birch tree.  The magic spot that Jud refers to is something I found for the first time two weeks ago while I played a round in advance of the HHH.  I hit a three wood from the blue tee that found the middle of the fairway and skirted both bowls right and left.  I was left with just a wedge into the green.  I was actually surprised at how far the ball went and with the fairly easy approach into the green...in all my rounds there I had never found this part of the hole on my drive and am guessing I won't again any time soon.  A great fun hole that starts great (drive) and ends great with one of the best greens on the course...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back