News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Forfar GC - "Hidden Gem"
« on: April 11, 2012, 02:53:59 PM »
I've had many a head shaking moment as I've read of well known haunts such as Brora and Tain being described as hidden gems and wondered how can these people think that these courses aren't well known. Well a few days ago I stumbled across a wee belter of a course, an inland links with pine trees, gorse, heather and rolling fairways. Just terrific golfing terrain. In all the years I've toured Scotland playing golf I've never once heard anyone mention Forfar GC, some 12 miles from Carnoustie. I'm sure someone in Forfar is reading this now and thinking what a numpty in not knowing about Forfar, but seriously never heard of the course, and what a wee gem.

In fact its so good I'm going to go back and take photos and learn how to post them.

Anyone else played the course and if so, am I going off my head ?

Niall

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Forfar GC - "Hidden Gem"
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:03:37 PM »

Niall

Some of our courses are just meant for us, why, oh why did you mention this one? ;)

Its actually better than many give it credit for, but its still ours, Carnoustie is as Niall mentioned just a few miles away.

An Old Tom/Braid course worthy of a game or two, but don't tell anymore people - please.

Melvyn

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 03:25:45 PM »
Niall -

Sorry, but your "Hidden Gem" is not quite so hidden.  ;)

It was mentioned in an article ("Back-Roads Scotland," by David Owen) in the October, 2007 issue of Golf Digest (U.S.). Other courses mentioned in the article include Reay, Tarbat, Kingusssie, Newtonmare, Hopeman, Cullen, Boat of Garten, Gairloch, etc.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/golf-travel/2007-10/scotland?currentPage=1

DT
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:29:23 PM by David_Tepper »

Jim McCann

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 05:54:12 PM »
Niall

I played Forfar for the first time last year and was well impressed with the place.

It's excellent value for money too.

The course was a Gem on the Top 100 website for a number of years but it deservedly became a ranked course this year.

Here's a link to some of the comments that have been posted about the course on the Top100 site:

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=961
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:59:51 PM by Jim McCann »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 12:44:59 AM »
I'm sure someone in Forfar is reading this now and thinking what a numpty in not knowing about Forfar, but seriously never heard of the course, and what a wee gem.

Niall ..... your such a Numpty  ::)

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=41530.0
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:48:03 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 02:25:06 AM »
Niall - and as you were the first to post a reply on that thread that featured Forfar might get you up to the level of the Double Numpty  :o :o

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 06:26:05 AM »
I'm sure someone in Forfar is reading this now and thinking what a numpty in not knowing about Forfar, but seriously never heard of the course, and what a wee gem.

Niall ..... your such a Numpty  ::)

I agree with this quote.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 09:37:47 AM »
Neil,

I am not even going to Google a "Numpty" as I do not need to know what it is! But I will try a quick round at Forfar and I will be, in 2013, the wilds of Morayshire and thought I would give Moray a try. Whatcha think?

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 10:43:54 AM »
Neil,

I am not even going to Google a "Numpty" as I do not need to know what it is! But I will try a quick round at Forfar and I will be, in 2013, the wilds of Morayshire and thought I would give Moray a try. Whatcha think?

Cheers Colin
Play both courses at Moray.

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 01:47:49 PM »
So its confirmed, I'm a numpty. For all non-Scottish people reading this and thinking what does numpty mean, well it means someone who is intelligent, humorous, good looking.............

DT,

I've played a number of the courses listed in your post, and I would put Forfar ahead of them, and I include the Boat in that assessment. Its of the same type of course mind you, not Championship great, but great nonetheless.

Jim

Would you believe they let me on for £12 ! I'm struggling to think when I've ever had such good value golf. I also note its 92 in your list. Clearly, as this thread demonstrates, I don't know as much about Scottish golf as I thought I did but I would play it before I would play a number of courses much higher up your rankings.

Brian

Many thanks for posting those pics. Not sure if you've been there yourself or lifted them off the website but I reckon they don't do the place justice. BTW, for those interested the club website has a link to Braids report on the changes he recommended. Interesting to read and consider what passes for a redesign.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 01:51:30 PM »
Neil,

Cheers Colin

Colin

Not sure if you're suggesting you will be in Moray next year but if so give me a shout nearer the time.

Cheers

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back