News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Tallman

New playoff holes...
« on: April 09, 2012, 12:18:45 AM »
Not a fan of starting on 18,

Why?

Tee shot is unlike most, if not all, on the remainder of the course. It potentially brings the tournament down to a single tee shot on a par 4, the first of sudden death.

Easy to argue against but my feelings.

Jim Nugent

Re: New playoff holes...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 12:23:06 AM »
In the 80's, they used to start on 10.  11 was the next hole.  Don't recall any playoffs going past that, but I guess they would have kept playing the back nine if needed.  Anyone know when and why they changed to the current format?  It was no later than 2005.   

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 12:23:37 AM »
All sudden death playoffs start on 18, because that is where the fans are.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Howard Riefs

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 12:31:03 AM »
In the 80's, they used to start on 10.  11 was the next hole.  Don't recall any playoffs going past that, but I guess they would have kept playing the back nine if needed.  Anyone know when and why they changed to the current format?  It was no later than 2005.  

The Masters sudden death has never gone more than two holes.

The format changed in 2004, according to an article:

Instead of beginning the sudden-death playoff on hole No. 10 and working down the back nine until a winner emerges — the way the winner has been determined in the past — any extra holes would begin on No. 18 and then be shuffled between 10 and 18 until there's a victor.

"We just thought it was best," Johnson said Wednesday morning during his annual state of the Masters news conference. "We really think this is a more exciting format."

The last time the Masters' playoff format was changed was 1976 when sudden death replaced the 18-hole playoff. Johnson didn't have any thoughts of bringing that back. "Well, we just like sudden death," Johnson said. "Daylight could be a factor. But we think sudden death really suits us best."

http://savannahnow.com/stories/040804/SPT_mastersplayoff.shtml
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Greg Tallman

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 12:32:00 AM »

Garland, this marked a departure from tradition. Since 1976 they had started on 10.

JLahrman

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 12:49:14 AM »

Garland, this marked a departure from tradition. Since 1976 they had started on 10.

Not true. In 2009 they started on 18 (Cabrera, Perry, Campbell).

They also did it this way in 2005 when Woods beat DiMarco.

I think the last playoff to start on 10 was the 1990 Faldo win.

I don't mind it. Daylight will be a factor if the playoff ever goes longer, and Amen Corner seems to be a pretty dark spot.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 01:19:01 AM »

Had I wrote in the past tense, you would have a point.
;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matthew Rose

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 02:20:14 AM »
Maybe it's just tradition or history or what I grew up with, but I preferred the other way.

Seems like strange things always happened at 11. Fuzzy. Faldo. Mize.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 07:25:10 AM »
If there was ever a course that lent itself for a multi-hole stroke play play-off, it woiuld be ANGC.  Ending the play-off on 13 would be epic.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Michael Tamburrini

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 07:31:53 AM »
If there was ever a course that lent itself for a multi-hole stroke play play-off, it woiuld be ANGC.  Ending the play-off on 13 would be epic.

I agree totally. Only problem is that they cut it so fine with time it'd be dark by the 12th tee.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 01:12:09 PM »
Send 'em out for a proper 36-hole play off the next day and, if that is unresolved, send 'em out for a further 36 holes on Tuesday. Weren't there some epic US Open play-offs in the 20s and 30s? Make them earn their money, I say!

Greg Tallman

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 06:06:20 PM »

I don't mind it. Daylight will be a factor if the playoff ever goes longer, and Amen Corner seems to be a pretty dark spot.
I did not realize it had changed that far back. Thank you.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »

I did not realize it had changed that far back. Thank you.

The last playoff to start on #10 was 2003 when Mike Weir beat Len Mattiace. 

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

JLahrman

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 06:31:07 PM »

The last playoff to start on #10 was 2003 when Mike Weir beat Len Mattiace. 

That's right, I forgot about that one. I remember Weir making about a 6-footer on 18, but that was to get in the playoff not win it outright.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back