News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

Scotland/England - finally
« on: August 20, 2012, 02:09:09 PM »
So, we're in the final stages of planning a trip for next summer:  Here's what's in store:

Arrive Manchester and play Royal Lytham   
Royal Liverpool            
Royal Troon
North Berwick   
Muirfield (36)
Prestwick and Western Gailes
Turnberry

Where are TOC and Carnoustie?  Well because of conflicting availability (Ladie's Open at TOC) and family obligations we had to jerry rig something out of nothing.

And, after years of reading about various courses on GCA.com, i have this fascination with some of the inland courses.  should we play something closer to Manchester airport upon arrival (e.g. Reddish Vale or Delamere Forest) or just head for a full diet of links golf?

Brent Hutto

Re: Scotland/England - finally
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 02:36:30 PM »
Not sure how it would fit in your travel, routing-wise. But some would argue that Ganton is as fine an inland course as any in England and it's just 2-1/2 hours from Manchester. But perhaps in the "wrong" direction given your other destinations, although I'd think it might form a manageable triangle with Muirfield/Berwick and Manchester if you could afford a bit of a detour.

Never mind, a quick map consultation shows the "triangle" to be a figment of my limited UK geographic sense.

David Tepper is dead on recommending Formby for arrival day. It is barely over an hour from Manchester airport and makes a wonderful day-of-arrival warmup round. It is definitely less austere and brutal than either Troon or Lytham, I'd reckon.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:42:45 PM by Brent Hutto »

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 02:37:19 PM »
Wayne -

How about starting at Formby, which is 20-30 miles up the coast from Liverpool?

DT

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:38:19 PM »
Wayne,

The first thing that strikes me about that list is that in Lytham, Hoylake, Troon and Muirfield you have four of the tougher, less visually compelling of the Open rota courses.  The three of those I know (I haven't played Lytham) are very fine courses (in my view Muirfield remains the best course I have played) but I might look for some light relief and drop one of those four for somewhere a bit less austere.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jim Eder

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 03:10:16 PM »
Wayne,

I would try to manage the drives a bit so after arriving I would think about Wilmslow or Delamere (2 excellent recent tours on GCA) on the late morning of arrival and then drive to the Wirral Penisula and play Hoylake the next day (think about staying at the Wirral Lodge Boutique Hotel which is a few minutes away from Hoylake and I just loved, updated, great people, BIG breakfast). Then play Formby, S&A, or Birkdale after Hoylake and then drive up to Lytham that evening. Then maybe after Lytham that afternoon start making the big drive up to Turnberry/Lytham/Prestwick/Troon/Western Gailes. IF you have time a detour to Silloth would be very nice but it is a bit time consuming so it would require a good amount of time on that drive up to Turnberry. Then head over to Muirfield/North Berwick. And on the way back down to Manchester maybe a stop at Gleneagles Kings, a quick 9 at Bridge of Allan, or maybe Carlisle or Penrith to break up another fairly long drive and I would suggest maybe trying to have a day of leeway around Manchester where a round at Reddish or Wilmslow would be a very nice way to cap an amazing trip.  Personally I like to make drives after golf in the evenings so that I am not driving much before my golf. Feel free to pm me for more suggestions etc as I have done this and am doing something similar next year.

Jim Eder

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 03:15:41 PM »
Wayne,

I would also think about West Lancs, it reminds me of Brora in certain ways.

Formby would give you links, heathland, and parkland tastes all in one course.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 03:19:28 PM »
How long is your trip? If less than 8-9 days I'd pick two locations and work from there. Go somewhere within a couple hours of the Manchster airport that will let you play 2-3 different courses within a 40-mile radius. Then go up near Edinburgh or Fife somewhere and play 3, 4, 5 courses within a 40-mile radius. Sleeping in a different bed every night for a week is a steep price to pay for checking one or two extra Open Rota courses off your list.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 04:21:54 PM »
Wayne,

It is well known that the perfect cure for transatlantic jet-lag is a morning round at Reddish Vale - 10 minutes from Manchester Airport!

You would be most welcome as my guest.

The drive over to the Wirral or Southport is about an hour, so a second late afternoon round at a links course is definitely do-able.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:27:35 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Jim Eder

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 04:31:59 PM »
I will say that Duncan is fabulous company.  Combine that with a great golf course and what a way to start a trip!!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 04:37:49 PM »
To quote a Great (expat) American...

Always go with the invite.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 07:59:04 PM »
thanks all.  My travel partner is keen to play the Open courses, and is in fact staying on to play TOC and Carnoustie.  I'm trying to get him to "expand his horizons" and appreciate the feedback on Formby (thanks David)... Delamere Forest (thanks Jim... will look up on GCA again)... and Reddish Vale (Duncan, thanks... i'll PM you directly).

Cheers.
W

Jim Eder

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 10:37:48 AM »
Wayne,

You are welcome.

One other idea.  If you are going from Muirfield/North Berwick to Manchester you could take the A1 down to Leeds for Alwoodley or go east a bit to Ganton and then get back to Manchester. Ganton is a bit out of the way so Alwoodley would be easier but Ganton is great. It just depends on time availability. Alwoodley would be about 4.5hrs and Ganton about 5 hrs from North Berwick and it could be broken up. Just an idea to get another great course on the agenda.

Here is the GCA Delamere post:   http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42989.0.html

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 01:41:53 PM »
You, or any other GCA folk, are most welcome at Wilmslow. It is very close to Manchester Airport. If I'm not free I have lots of member friends who are retired and could be persuaded to take you round - saves money and you get more of a flavour of the course and club. However, do not miss out on a round at Reddish Vale with Duncan. A wonderfully quirky course and delightful company.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back