News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Patrick Cantlay's day
« on: April 08, 2012, 04:30:31 PM »
He shot even par 72 in the fourth round.  But he's likely the first guy to do it this way:

444 442 255 = 34
452 963 234 = 38 = 72 !

He eagled #7 and #15, and made 5 birdies as well, including #12.  But he balanced it out with three bogeys, a double, and the quad on #13.  And all that after starting out with five straight 4's!

Jud_T

Re: Patrick Cantlay's day
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 04:42:09 PM »
Good enough for low am.  Way to grind it out after the blowup.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bruce Leland

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 04:43:28 PM »
That shows some fortitude and why you have to stay in the present.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 06:50:57 PM »
I will enjoy any round that includes 2 eagles and 5 birdies. Like asking a bowler, you'll have 9 strikes; will you take the other three frames?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Carl Johnson

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 07:10:19 PM »
I missed the first hour or so of the telecast, but saw virtually all of the rest.  I would have liked to have seen them show some highlights (and the low) of Cantlay's round, but if they did, I missed it.

Phil McDade

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 08:40:29 PM »
Tom:

He'll win some day at the Masters; I followed him at the US Am last year at Erin Hills and he has a TON of game. A round like this, and even his loss last year in the AM, demonstrate the guy just needs to play a lot more tournament golf. Well, maybe not a lot -- I can see him winning a major quite easily before the age of 30, which actually doesn't happen all that often anymore.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:04:55 PM »
I think he is the rare example of the american amateur who needs to go pro.

By his own admission, he is bored by the college tourneys he plays in and hasn't won one yet this year and only has 2 top-20s.

He thrived under top level competition.   He will get a ton of sponsors exemptions and hopefully will be able to play himself into the new qschool.

Phil McDade

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 10:12:31 PM »
I think he is the rare example of the american amateur who needs to go pro.

By his own admission, he is bored by the college tourneys he plays in and hasn't won one yet this year and only has 2 top-20s.

He thrived under top level competition.   He will get a ton of sponsors exemptions and hopefully will be able to play himself into the new qschool.

Mark:

As loathe as I am to see young adults skip out on college, you may be right. I don't know if he's the LeBron of golf, but he's really good. He lost the US Am last year because he ran into a guy -- Kraft -- with a lightning-hot putter. But he has both the length, game, and demeanor to compete right now on Tour.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 10:22:57 PM »
He has the demeanor? It was just written that he has been in the top 20 twice this year because he is bored. What kind of competitor is that? You may not like Tiger Woods, but he would not want to lose in marbles. I bet Jack was the same. I am sorry, but a guy that doesn't win because he is bored has a competitive flaw.

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 10:41:33 PM »
In the words of Mike Hill, "amateur golf don't mean s**t."

William_G

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 10:58:05 PM »
that is a fun scorecard, never seen anything like that, LOL

thanks
It's all about the golf!

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 11:08:19 PM »

Mike Benham

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 11:38:06 PM »
That shows some fortitude and why you have to stay in the present.

Or ... a "screw it, let's make some birdies and either become low amateur or go down in flames" attitude.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Ben Stephens

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 01:08:33 AM »
I watched last year's US Am semis and final. Patrick Cantlay is a fantastic prospect - golf is a funny game as I remember Cantlay making two big mistakes - one was the 8 iron tee shot on 15 and the drive on 18 when Kraft was in trouble. Hopefully he will learn from that :)

I also had a similar round last week at Rutland Water with 1 eagle + 5 birdies! it is defintely a strange game at times!

Course    454344354 36 443544534 36  72
My score 633455255 38 443466433 38  76

par 5's - 4 under
par 4's - 8 over (with 3 double bogies!)
par 3's - level

got to work harder on those par 4's!  ;D

Steve Salmen

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 07:58:35 AM »
Years ago, if memory serves correct, Tom Watson made a real big number on 13 during the first or second round of the Masters.  He proceeded to birdie in for 71.

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 08:12:13 AM »
2 top 20s in college events don't make you ready for the tour.
What if he gets bored on tour
Although I will agree that college isn't for everyone
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Phil McDade

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 08:22:31 AM »
Anyone who watched Tiger win three straight US Amateurs -- and not think that wasn't a precursor to a pretty good professional career -- is not really attuned to what makes for a good golfer.

By demeanor, what I saw from Cantlay at the Amateur was a quiet, undemonstrative, yet keenly focused attention to what he had to do on the golf course. He's not a fist-pumping, swaggering, cocky type -- just looks to be supremely confident in his skills, and knows how to "manage" his game. That he played an awful shot under the pressure of the final holes of the Amateur doesn't diminish that; all golfers have hit bad shots under the pressure of a big tournament (Mickelson at Augusta Sunday, or Winged Foot; Nicklaus leaving a shot in the bunker in the '71 US Open playoff at Merion against Trevino; Palmer's double bogey on the 18th at the Masters in '61; Watson cold-shanking an iron at the '74 US Open when in contention).

I don't know whether or not he's bored with college golf. I do think he has the game to compete right now with most of the PGA Tour.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 11:04:58 AM »
I love the kid.  I got to cover him at the Open last year, and was really impressed with him.  Great demeanor, even better game!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Stuart Goldstein

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 03:43:21 PM »
Anyone who shoots a 60 in a PGA tour event got game.  Big difference between going low and winning a Masters.

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 04:02:52 PM »
I don't wish to diminish young Mr. Cantlay's abilities or future prospects in any way, but, as I think Colt Knost, Ryan Moore, Casey Wittenberg, Ricky Barnes, Bubba Dickerson, Jeff Quinney and David Gossett will attest, the difference between being successful in amatuer vs. professional golf is huge.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:11:59 PM by David_Tepper »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 04:04:08 PM »
I don't wish to diminish young Mr. Cantlay's abilities or future prospects in any way, but, as I think Colt Knost, Ryan Moore, Casey Wittenberg, Ricky Barnes, Bubba Dickerson, Jeff Quinney and David Gossett will attest, the difference between being successful in amatuer vs. professional is huge.

+100

Exactly what I was thinking.

But why did you leave Rory off that list?   ;D

John Spraggs

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 05:34:21 PM »
He shot even par 72 in the fourth round.  But he's likely the first guy to do it this way:

444 442 255 = 34
452 963 234 = 38 = 72 !

He eagled #7 and #15, and made 5 birdies as well, including #12.  But he balanced it out with three bogeys, a double, and the quad on #13.  And all that after starting out with five straight 4's!
Very impressive numbers

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 07:01:04 PM »
Anyone who shoots a 60 in a PGA tour event got game.  Big difference between going low and winning a Masters.

He also shot 63 at LACC which is pretty tough.

Emmy

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 12:28:16 AM »
For those in the Nor Cal Region this weekend.....
Patrick Cantlay and his teammates will be competing in the 66th Western Intercollegiate Golf Tournament at Pasatiempo Golf Club (Santa Cruz, CA) on Sat. April 14 and Sun. April 15. Spectators are welcome to join the gallery.

Phil McDade

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 10:58:39 AM »
I don't wish to diminish young Mr. Cantlay's abilities or future prospects in any way, but, as I think Colt Knost, Ryan Moore, Casey Wittenberg, Ricky Barnes, Bubba Dickerson, Jeff Quinney and David Gossett will attest, the difference between being successful in amatuer vs. professional is huge.

+100

Exactly what I was thinking.

But why did you leave Rory off that list?   ;D

Because, of course, no golfer has ever gone on from a distinguished amateur career to a distinguished pro career. Not Palmer or Nicklaus, nor Mickelson or Tiger, or even solid Tour pros like Lanny Wadkins, Craig Stadler, Jerry Pate, Mark O'Meara, or Justin Leonard, all of whom enjoyed distinguished amateur careers before turning pro (and all of whom won majors while pros).

No one's arguing Cantlay's the next Mickelson or Tiger; he may or may not be. But watching Cantlay and last year's US Amateur champion, Kelly Kraft, up close, there is a world of difference between their games. One guy wielded a hot putter to win the Amateur; that happens all the time in golf, esp. in match play. The other had more game than anyone else in the Amateur field, and looks to have plenty of game for the Tour -- right now.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back