News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Taylor

Kauri Cliffs GC New Zealand - Course Tour
« on: April 08, 2012, 07:43:08 AM »
Me and fellow GCA'er Kevin Pallier recently arrived back from New Zealand, where we got to play and visit most of the best courses the country has to offer. New Zealand is a fantastic destination for a golf holiday, however the best courses aren't concentrated in one or two areas, they are all over the country and you need to allow plenty of time to see them all.

We started at Kauri Cliffs, a picturesque golf course located 3 hours north of Auckland near a town called Kerikeri. It was ranked in the top 100 in the world a few years ago, but I think it does it on views alone. The golf course is still pretty solid, but it nothing spectacular. The views on the other hand are unparalleled in my experience.

The course is routed in a 'figure 8'. One the front 9 you basically work your way down the hill, and then climb back up to the clubhouse. The back 9 starts off down through the marshland, then heads back up cliffside for the final few holes.

The green fees for an overseas visitor are about 450 NZ Dollars. Roughly 380 AUD. That's the same price range as Pebble Beach.

IMO it is a Doak 7.

Michael Taylor

Re: Kauri Cliffs GC New Zealand - Course Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 07:57:48 AM »
We played most of the holes off the White and Green tees (one forward of whites), but I'll post the distances from the Plates.

1st hole: Par 4 431m Index 16.

The first hole at Kauri Cliffs is a straightaway downhill par 4, with a wide fairway and a green that slopes gently back to front. There is a bunker located at the back left of the green which you can't see untill you are in it, and it really serves no purpose at all. There is no preferred side to hit your tee shot, and there is little interest at all in the hole. Just an easy introduction to the course.

Probably the most boring hole on the course.

Tee Shot

Second shot from right hand rough.

Looking back up the hole.

I plan to do about a hole a day, to allow discussion.

Michael

Neil White

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 08:19:33 AM »
Looks to be a fairly tough opener playing near 470 yards, downhill though? - are the drop offs around the green as pronounced as they appear in the photo's?

Does it play F&F or soft as the photo's suggest?

You seem to have played it on a fairly calm day   :)

Neil.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 08:24:56 AM »
Neil

The drop offs are pretty severe yes. If you miss the green you really have to miss in the correct spot, otherwise it can end up lost.

470 yards is a very long opening hole. It shouldn't be more than a Drive and a 5i though from the back tees after factoring the downhill nature of the hole. And I don't imagine anyone really plays off the back.

The day we played it it was relatively soft.

These photos were taken after we played the 18th actually. Because when we started we couldn't see the start of the 1st fairway due to thick fog and rain (and wind)!  ;D

Jim Tang

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:45:23 AM »
The site looks expansive.  Is the course spread out over a wide area? 

I would love to get down to New Zeland for some golf, especially for Cape Kidnappers.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 08:00:36 PM »
The course is spread out over a pretty large area yes. It feels like it is on a large scale too.

I highly recommend that you make that trip, as NZ is a great country for golf.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 10:07:44 PM »
Michael

Well done - I will add photos and commentary to support your thread.

To add - we were 2/3 of the golf "nuts"  ;) that went out that day. The other 1/3 being Dave H (fellow GCAer). The conditions were terrible to start - driving wind, fog and rain. At least the fog cleared for the B9.

Like you I wasn't enamoured with the opening hole and for the life of me can't work out the need for the back left bunker which doesn't even show up in your photos.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 09:49:12 AM »
2nd hole: 403m Par 4 Index 12

The 2nd hole is a downhill par 4 that turns slightly to the left. The drive is bunkered on the right hand side with two bunkers, one coming in at 220 metres, and the next one at 265m. The best line into the green is from the right hand side of the fairway, but the middle of the fairway will do just fine. Kauri Cliffs has a trend of having the bunkers a few metres into the rough, and this hole is no exception. So even if you 'challenge' the fairway bunkers and stray a bit to the right, your ball will probably just settle in the rough.

The green has a more severe back to front slope than the 1st hole, and is protected by to bunkers at the front that force a lofted approach.

A decent hole, better than the 1st anyway. Next comes a very good stretch of holes 3, 4 and 5.

Tee shot

Approach shot from the left hand rough. Note the striping of the fairways.

Looking back towards the tee. Striping up of the rough. I think it was overdone.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »
Neil

It shouldn't be more than a Drive and a 5i though from the back tees after factoring the downhill nature of the hole.

Is that YOUR drive and 5 iron? Or a normal player :)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 06:58:21 AM »
Michael

This hole felt somewhat similar to # 1 save for a few more bunkers thrown in. Am unsure why they were placed in the rough on the outside of the dogleg ?

A pretty weak start for mine.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 07:10:45 AM »
The right side was a better angle into the green, but middle of the fairway was completely fine so there ain't much reason to really take it down the right near the bunkers.

Correct about the similarity. Those bunkers are really the only thing that make it different to the first, the green is much the same too. Fairway contouring is one of the minor differences, the fairway being a bit flatter than the first.

At least the course picks up a bit with the 3rd hole.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 02:21:08 AM »
Hey Pup

Looking forward to your photo tours of the courses you played in NZ.

Kauri Cliffs kind of kick started a shift in perception in NZ of what a golf course can actually be in terms of architecture, conditioning and service. Even though both Gulf Harbour and Formosa predate KC by a few years, they can be viewed more as a "good try" where KC actually achieved something. This new standard that had been set encouraged other courses to try and lift their game as golfers became more aware of what they had been missing out on. A number of courses sort out those who had been involved with the project in the hope of utilising their skills and knowledge to improve upon their basic layouts and construction shortfalls. This may have seemed like the right thing to do at the time but I feel, with the benefit of hindsight, several clubs may have sealed their own fate by over extending themselves in the process and are currently under financial pressure as a result.

I often feel that such spectacular locations such as KC could almost be a be a negative (just thinking out loud here) for the architect in terms of having to try and compete for the players attention. Subtleties or intricacies that are revealed only through repeat play are always going to take a back seat to the absolutely amazing views that are found at KC. As a result of that, I feel that the inland holes for me are almost stronger than the more spectacular cliff top holes as they have to stand alone in terms of architecture. Even though they feature some views, they arent as distracting to the player as latter holes.

Kauri Cliffs always seems to elicit 2 main comments from those I have met that have played it. Number 1 is the views and I think perhaps Jacks Point is the only other course in NZ that can compete in this category. The second comment is always about how well the place is maintained. Im not sure that the maintenance objectives of the course are the same that are often looked upon favourably by people on this site but for the general golfing public, people always come away impressed.

I have no great like or dislike of number 1. I feel it is a solid enough hole that serves its purpose of opening the round. I dont think you want anything too dramatic or elaborate as the player is already on a high due to the first impression of the resort. The anticipation created by the long drive and then the seeing the facilities is carried over onto the first tee so I dont think the course needs to come out swinging too hard. The hole fulfills its need of getting people away and easing them into the experience.

Number 2 is a hole that I dont remember too well. Going by the photos, I wonder about the need for the far left greenside bunker.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:01:12 AM by Grant Saunders »

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 03:55:28 AM »
Michael,

Do you intend to do photo tours of Paraparaumu and Kidnappers, or can I start posting some pics of those courses?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 08:45:24 AM »
I often feel that such spectacular locations such as KC could almost be a be a negative (just thinking out loud here) for the architect in terms of having to try and compete for the players attention. Subtleties on intricacies that are revealed only through repeat play are always going to take a back seat to the absolutely amazing views that are found at KC. As a result of that, I feel that the inland holes for me are almost stronger than the more spectacular cliff top holes as they have to stand alone in terms of architecture. Even though they feature some views, they arent as distracting to the player as latter holes.

Kauri Cliffs always seems to elicit 2 main comments from those I have met that have played it. Number 1 is the views and I think perhaps Jacks Point is the only other course in NZ that can compete in this category. The second comment is always about how well the place is maintained. Im not sure that the maintenance objectives of the course are the same that are often looked upon favourably by people on this site but for the general golfing public, people always come away impressed.

Grant

Some interesting points - KC has what - 5 holes along the ocean ? (7 & 14-17). I think 7 is pretty much a repeat of the concept of 5 (across a ravine). I think the slight dogleg left principle is overdone a bit on 15-17 with the tee / fairway and green angles. Yes - they all have great views left but I think 15 & 16 (despite some of the bunkering on the later) are actually pretty good holes. I like the contrast of the inland holes on the start to the B9 but feel the transition to the clifftop could have been done better. I look forward to discussing these with you.

Re. the reference to spectacular views - me thinks you are forgetting Cape Kidnappers  ;)

Matthew

Michael and I are planning to do reviews of most courses in order of our travels. Will be good to have your input & photos re: CK / Parap.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 12:57:05 AM »
Hey Kevin

Your right, I did forget CK and the views there. I havent played it myself mind you so I only have photos to go by.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 05:28:43 AM »
Hole 3: 326m Par 4 Index 18

This is where the course starts to pick up. The 3rd is a short par 4 with a pretty uninteresting drive that is bunkered both sides, which gets even worse the further back you play. It is a semi blind shot to the fairway over the crest of a hill. The second shot is where it gets good though. You hit slightly downhill to a green that slopes front to back, and has pretty interesting internal contours with a backstop on the RHS to allow you to get a pitch close to that tough pin. A run up shot is the play to a front pin, even if it is playing soft, otheriwse the ball will bound down into the middle of the green.

Tee Shot

2nd shot. Beware of tree overhanging left side of green. If the pin is left you want to be right, and conversely if it's right your drive wants to be left off the tee.

Green from the RHS.

Anyone know what trees these are? Count me as a fan!

Looking back.

The 4th hole is a fantastic par 5, albeit overbunkered.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 08:59:11 AM »
4th hole: 510m Par 5 Index 4

The 4th hole is one of the best holes on the course. A par 5 that plays uphill from the back tee and doglegs to the right with big drop offs to the right of the fairway and over the green. The drive is to a wide fairway that places a premium on position if you do want to reach it in two. There are two fairway bunkers guarding the right hand side of the fairway, and three to the left of the driving zone, one of which is totally obsolete as it is 30m off the fairway up the hill!? The second shot presents you with a decision to either go for the green or lay back and to the left. The lay up is still a difficult shot as it does narrow quite a bit up near the green.

Tee Shot from the back.

You can see the green from the tee! Line of charm!

From the White Tees

2nd shot

A good photo showing the dogleg nature of the hole and greensite.

Green

Looking back

And a photo of the 4th from the 2nd hole I think!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:02:31 AM by Michael Taylor »

Dane Hawker

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 02:39:39 PM »
Trees on the left are Puriri, cant tell from photo what the ones on the right are

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puriri

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
Hole 3: 326m Par 4 Index 18

This is where the course starts to pick up. The 3rd is a short par 4 with a pretty uninteresting drive that is bunkered both sides, which gets even worse the further back you play. It is a semi blind shot to the fairway over the crest of a hill. The second shot is where it gets good though. You hit slightly downhill to a green that slopes front to back, and has pretty interesting internal contours with a backstop on the RHS to allow you to get a pitch close to that tough pin. A run up shot is the play to a front pin, even if it is playing soft, otheriwse the ball will bound down into the middle of the green.

Michael

I agree with you about the tee shot and for mine not enough thought has gone into it. Its pretty much a blind drive from the back tees and is a much better hole from the forward tees where some tempation comes into play. I reckon though they should have placed a large single centreline bunker instead of the bunkers left and right in the fairway  as the trees defend the left and right side approaches. It could have been a better hole than what it is.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 07:39:36 AM »

The second shot presents you with a decision to either go for the green or lay back and to the left. The lay up is still a difficult shot as it does narrow quite a bit up near the green.

Mike

I liked this hole save for the hidden hazard near the green noted by the trees on the right ?

George Pazin

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 03:50:52 PM »
Thanks for the tour, it is much appreciated.

I can't comment much, other than to say I'm always impressed by pix and vids of Kauri Cliffs, in spite of the lack of acclaim it receives on here. It always looks to me like Mr. Harman did a wonderful job using the land, yet the comments always seem to be underwhelming, or that the site is too severe. Looks like neither to me, hope I get to find out for myself someday.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Michael Taylor

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 07:32:11 AM »
George

One of the things I feel about Kauri is that the views are just that incredible, that you expect the golf course to be to, and it just isn't. So it feels like a real letdown.

Mr Harman did a real great job with the land in my opinion, he routed the course very well in a figure 8 routing and maximised the dramatic nature of the terrain and views as best he could. Also I absolutely recommend a NZ Golf holiday, it is a truly incredible golfing country.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 07:36:18 AM »
5th hole: 183m Par 3 Index 14

The 5th hole is a long par 3 played over a chasm, to a green almost shaped like a "T" angled to the right. It is quite a heroic one shotter, especially when it is played into the wind like the day we played it. There are 3 deep bunkers located at the front of the green that need to be carried. It has one of the better greens, if not the best green on the course. You especially do not want to be above the hole, otherwise a very quick putt awaits. There is a spine that runs along the middle of the green (7 to 2 o clock) and it is important to be on the correct side. A back right pin is sure to test the best playes.

Also if the carry is too long for the player to make the green, the architect has provided a bail out area to the left of the green for the long marker to lay up to.

Tee Shot

From the white markers.

A view of the bail out area with the 6th hole in the background.

Green

Looking back.

One of the best holes on the course, but it is very similar to the 7th hole, another long par 3 over the chasm/ocean!!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:45:51 AM by Michael Taylor »

Michael Taylor

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »

The second shot presents you with a decision to either go for the green or lay back and to the left. The lay up is still a difficult shot as it does narrow quite a bit up near the green.

Mike

I liked this hole save for the hidden hazard near the green noted by the trees on the right ?

There is nothing worse than a hidden hazard, but on this particular hole you do know that if you hit your ball there, that it will be in the crap and probably lost. So it is better off that it's marked as hazard, at least you get a drop up closer to the green.

The hole would be better off it they removed those trees though IMO..

Michael Taylor

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 08:24:47 AM »
6th hole: 370m Par 4 Index 6

The 6th hole is a medium length par 4 played up a very steep hill, to a pretty interesting green guarded by two front bunkers. It isn't one of the best holes on the course, but IMO it really depends on the tees you choose. It is thrilling to hit a tee shot from the blue tees over the chasm to the fairway, a forced carry of 200+ metres, but from the white tees (located much lower down the hill) it is quite a mundane tee shot. There is not real best angle of approach to the green. The second shot on the 6th is not visually inspiring, and it could have been so much better..maybe they could have raised the green a little more, taken out the mounds/trees behind and made it a skyline? Anyway..

Tee shot

2nd shot from the left hand side.

The green slopes back to front and has a little knob in the back middle that complicates things if you are on the wrong half of the green. A pin located at the front would be seriously hard to putt to..it slopes harder back to front on that portion of green.

The next hole is one of the most awesome one shotters I've ever played on a course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back