News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Weersing

New putting course at Pacific Dunes
« on: January 12, 2013, 04:11:06 PM »

I cannot believe a 100,00 square foot putting green but that is the plan near the clubhouse at Pacific Dunes.

Is it true that Doak and RGA will design and/or build it?

http://theworldlink.com/sports/putting-course-is-resort-s-next-addition/article_d0260d60-5c9c-11e2-aa22-001a4bcf887a.html

Will Lozier

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:28:37 PM by Will Lozier »

Joe_Tucholski

Re: New putting course at Pacific Dunes
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 04:28:25 PM »

I cannot believe a 100,00 square foot putting green but that is the plan near the clubhouse at Pacific Dunes.

Is it true that Doak and RGA will design and/or build it?

http://theworldlink.com/sports/putting-course-is-resort-s-next-addition/article_d0260d60-5c9c-11e2-aa22-001a4bcf887a.html

Wow!   Not quite as large as mission hills, but still pretty big.  http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Worlds-largest-putting-course-opens/1519/Default.aspx
How much time and money would have to go into a 100,000 sq ft green?  Is There economies of scale or does it get more expensive at a certain size?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 07:55:47 PM »
Well, Mike asked me about doing it a month ago.  I guess he must be serious!

We were going to build a putting course behind the clubhouse at Pacific Dunes when we were done with the course, but when the clubhouse was put off due to design issues, we couldn't be sure how big to build it.  I don't remember the size but it wouldn't have been as big as what's proposed in the article. 

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 09:27:27 PM »
Well, Mike asked me about doing it a month ago.  I guess he must be serious!

Guess you get to name your price then.   :)

William_G

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 10:05:33 AM »
love it! thanks Scott! ;D
It's all about the golf!

Scott Weersing

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 10:53:28 AM »

I would like make one request for the putting course. It should have a tier that is eight feet tall so you can practice putting up a slope. I have always wanted to practice hitting putts up a steep slope but there is nowhere at the practice area to try the shot.

For example, you miss the green at no. 15 at Pacific Dunes and have to putt up the hill. Or you are short on no. 2 at Bandon Dunes. Or you miss the green left of no. 17 at Bandon Dunes. Or you go long on no. 10 at Old Mac and end up on no. 5.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 01:25:11 PM »
This is exciting news along with the progress on Bandon Muni. I am having a hard time invisioning where there is that much space near the Pacific Dunes clubhouse. Is it directly west, since the first tee is just north of the clubhouse.

Jeff Bertch

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 04:34:18 PM »
I have never been to Bandon but I love this idea! Picture this:

Twilight putting contest with a few beverages after a great day at Bandon! Maybe a few dollars changing hands. Perfect, right?

you know...a caddie, a looper, a jock

Stephen Davis

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 04:46:58 PM »
I have never been to Bandon but I love this idea! Picture this:

Twilight putting contest with a few beverages after a great day at Bandon! Maybe a few dollars changing hands. Perfect, right?

I think this is exactly what they are thinking as well. It is interesting that with this and the Preserve par 3 course, it looks like Bandon is focusing on providing options for the weary golfer. I think it is great!

Jim Colton

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 09:37:21 AM »

Ross Harmon

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 04:12:31 PM »
Now we're up to 120,000 square feet. Do I hear 150?

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/matt-ginella/news-about-bandon-and-cabot-expansion/?hj=xfs

Love the guys on the comments below who think it's gonna be 120,000 ACRES!

As a side note, is "Bandon Muni" the final name for this new 27 hole course? I hope they come up with something a little sexier.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 06:27:48 PM »
Certainly an exciting development for one of my favorite places on earth...

Below is a image of where I would assume the new putting course to be located - I have had a nice lunch and beer in the Pacific Dunes clubhouse after a round looking out over this area - it should be pretty special...

Terry Lavin

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 06:58:20 PM »
Mike "no mistakes" Keiser with another great move at America's best golf resort. Just keeps getting better.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

William_G

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 09:43:39 PM »
the golf mecca that keeps on giving  8)
It's all about the golf!

Chris Haspell

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 06:09:51 AM »
Out there next week, cant wait! , as long as Heathrow is open! with a visit to Chambers Bay on the way

Heaven?

Chris

Nick Church

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 10:25:41 AM »
Yet another reason for me to finally convince my buddies to invest in a trip to the Oregon coast.

Last fall, we made a quick 3-day trip to Ross Bridge in Birmingham.  We spent two evenings on their very large putting green making wild cross-country & side sloping challenge putts --- bets, laughs, and ribbing fueled by drinks.   Each of us commented that putting green was one of the best features.  In fact, we asked if they considered installing lights for night games.

Joe Bentham

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 02:05:32 AM »
exciting news for sure but the tidbit that I found most interesting/intriguing/exciting was Mr K's mention of the US Amateur in 2019.  A long shot I know but a looper can hope....

Terry Lavin

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 11:45:12 AM »
exciting news for sure but the tidbit that I found most interesting/intriguing/exciting was Mr K's mention of the US Amateur in 2019.  A long shot I know but a looper can hope....

It's gonna happen.  The natural mission of Bandon Dunes is to host amateur golf at its highest level and the USGA "gets" that, despite the uniform derision it seems to get here.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back