News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Re: Why not more holes like #8 at ANGC?
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 10:13:53 PM »
I wonder the same thing, I absolutely love that hole.  It's a great par four and a half (Well four point seven-five, but who's counting:)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

RJ_Daley

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 12:23:02 AM »
I would assume that Dr. MacKenzie wrote that descriptive on how the hole was envisioned, after he and Jones had several sessions talking about what they wanted at that point in the round.  The fact that someone trodded out there and took the famous picture of Jones hitting test shots into the original terrain seems to suggest a very purposeful effort to document what they may have thought was a particular important place on the course design.  If it was the original 17th, it seems logical they were looking for a hole where dramatic big swings in scoring could occur.  It seems to be the penultimate critical risk reward hole then- in the original plan, and remains now an exciting favorite. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 10:22:57 AM »
Golf Club Atlas posted aerial pictures on Facebook of this hole in 3 different eras.  Personally this version is one of the worst versions.  It would be great if the restored the Mackenzie cross bunker.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 11:36:33 AM »
Don't know if anyone posted this (too lazy to check) so http://www.masters.com/en_US/course/holes/hole8.html
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 11:40:50 AM »
If you look at #8 at Crag Burn and #8 at Augusta, I think (just dawned on me) you'll see some similarities. Much more bunkering at Crag Burn (that was Trent Jones for you) than Augusta, but similar designs and nearly identical green surfaces (again, mounding is different).
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Chris Buie

Doug Siebert

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 02:42:37 PM »
Why not more?  People don't like blind shots, and don't like playing uphill.  Most architects cater to that by avoiding blind shots and using the green to tee walks cart rides to move uphill.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

jeffwarne

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 09:38:46 PM »
Why not more?  People don't like blind shots, and don't like playing uphill.  Most architects cater to that by avoiding blind shots and using the green to tee walks cart rides to move uphill.

I think that's the answer.
Which is probably why most courses on difficult sites suck ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 09:49:04 PM »
From TV - I like the look of the hole save for the greenside mounds.

Would love to see it in person to see if that initial thought holds.

jeffwarne

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 09:50:05 PM »
From TV - I like the look of the hole save for the greenside mounds.

Would love to see it in person to see if that initial thought holds.

The greenside mounds are the best part of the hole.....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back