News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Love Golf Enterprises
« on: May 05, 2003, 09:48:25 AM »
There is a nice article about Davis Love's golf design business today in one of the North Carolina newspapers. The link is:
http://www.news-record.com/sports/golf/golf04.htm
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Golfinc

Re: Love Golf Enterprises
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 04:43:20 PM »
Interesting that the article says the Forest Oaks renovation will be complete and ready by tournament time. Last word was that if the weather didn't break soon, the greens would not be ready. That was several weeks ago and we have had tons more rain since then. Also, I saw the tournament director, Mark Brazil, at Tanglewood early last week. He was discussing possible corporate tent locations standing on the 10th tee box and touring the facilities with a member of his staff . Word is that the event will move to Tanglewood if Forest Oaks is not ready. It's 50/50 right now.

I've been told that the PGA Tour will make a decision by June/July on Forest Oaks for this year. I've also heard that the Tour is not against holding the tournament in Clemmons and that they would actually like to have it here as a test. Tanglewood is in discussions with the Tour concerning future events and this would be a good test.

Also, Forest Oaks has ungone a major rework by Davis. According to some members I've spoken with, every hole has had work done, with some being dramatic changes. Davis has been getting rave reviews for The Preserve and Anderson Creek so I'm sure he'll do a great job at FOCC.

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 06:21:23 AM »
Interesting article.  I was going to post the link but you beat me to it.

Steve
Steve Pozaric

Jamie_Duffner

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 07:21:35 AM »
I think this is the same article that appeared on golfchannel.com.  One interesting note, Tom Doak's "Anatomy of a Golf Course" was mentioned as a mainstay in the Love library.  "So they got that going for them, which is nice."  ;D

James Edwards

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 07:56:20 AM »
I know John Mackenzie has just started posting on GCA - It would be interesting to hear his thoughts.  

I believe he is heavily involved in Love Enterprises (Marketing Manager?)
@EDI__ADI

J_McKenzie

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2003, 01:23:40 PM »
Golfinc sums things up pretty well.  Weather has been a huge factor in Greensboro this winter, two ice storms and 35% more rainfall than normal.  (By the way, we are thinking about moonlighting as a drought busting business.  If anyone lives in an area that needs rain, please consider using Love Golf Design for your next construction project) ;).  To make things even more difficult, it seems the rain has come every 4-7 days, not all at once.  So just about every time things would get dry enough to work another storm would come through and cause delays.  I believe we were only able to work 14 days in January and February combined.

With all that said, we have seeded the greens within the time frame we had originally scheduled.  We would like to thank the contractors, Course Doctors and Robinson Brothers Golf, for their patience and hard work over the winter to get this accomplished.  Also, the ownership of Forest Oaks and the superintendent, Dan Winters, have provided great assistance throughout the process to get us where we are now.  The next big step will be regrassing the course (tees, fairways, rough) which will begin at the end of the month.  Then it's up to mother nature and the PGA Tour to decide about this years event.  

As far as the work we have done to the course:  all the greens have been completely redesigned and I believe two new greensites have been created, all tees have been redesigned and rebuilt, new bunkers and bunker strategy, and some reshaping of fairways, especially #13 in the first landing area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back