News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

Re: Criticisms of Augusta Nat'l
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 04:45:49 PM »
Mother Nature can always trump man's efforts

Smartest thing on the thread so far. 

Last night was not the only rain.  Been getting between a tenth and a quarter a night for a few nights now.

Aaron McMaster

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 04:47:30 PM »

Your comments implied that Augusta can just turn on a switch and boom it's firm cause Phil and maybe a few others want it firmer.  Mother nature vs sub air...sub air loses.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 04:55:40 PM »
I really think we all know that you cant turn mush into firm with sub air...my assumption was based upon no more rain.
Under which circumstances the sub air would be able to mke a significant difference.
After all of last nights rain, I am sure even  the ANGC sub air will struggle to make much of a difference at least for the first couple of days play.
But I assume they will try everything they can, because we all know they dont want the darts scenario if they can at all avoid it.

Michael George

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
SubAirs are pretty cool and according to this video can get green speeds back up pretty quickly.  However, as I mistakenly omitted from this original post (which has been modified by me), there is a difference between speed and softness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmt-Ku2mfSc

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:28:12 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 05:28:09 PM »
Glad I am not as stupid as some have made me feel.....

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 05:45:26 PM »
The par 3 event was cancelled and everyone sent home due to rain and thunderstorms today.

As I stated, Mother Nature can always trump man's efforts.

The forecast is calling for more rain for the next two days.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:56:13 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Michael George

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 05:49:37 PM »
The par 3 event was cancelled and everyone sent home due to rain and thunderstorms.

As I stated, Mother Nature can always trump man's efforts.

The forecast is calling for more rain for the next two days

Then they could be out of luck ;D
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Aaron McMaster

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 07:02:09 PM »
I really think we all know that you cant turn mush into firm with sub air...my assumption was based upon no more rain.
Under which circumstances the sub air would be able to mke a significant difference.
After all of last nights rain, I am sure even  the ANGC sub air will struggle to make much of a difference at least for the first couple of days play.
But I assume they will try everything they can, because we all know they dont want the darts scenario if they can at all avoid it.

Mike...sorry wasn't trying to make you seem stupid and what you say here is more indicative of what you can expect.  Sub air is a great tool and if you can afford them when your course is in areas that receive large amounts of rain they are excellent.  I was only commenting on your original post that made it sound like this tool allowed Augusta to just flip the switch and suddenly it was firm and fast.

Cheers!

jeffwarne

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 08:32:34 PM »
Ben..are you even with the programme here...there is this  modern invention thing called sub air that CAN control the green moiture levels and hence speed...not so ridiculous now eh mate!!!!

Michael,
Would you not say with the above statement that you brought a bit of the reactions you got on yourself?
 ;) ;D
Particularly when the one you aimed it at is on site and working with the crew.

Green speed is not the element needed here,but sub air will assist with firmness also (if it would stop raining ::) ::))
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 09:17:51 PM »
I do recall cross words.

I give you Sergio...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b83WAQsZkWQ

http://www.weiunderpar.com/post/phils-peeved-by-course-conditions

I don't recall hearing too many say a cross word.

Certainly, anyone in this forum would be hard pressed to say a bad word.

Am I just oblivious to past comments, or are Lefties comments unique?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Bill Brightly

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 07:14:56 AM »
Kyle, thanks for posting! Harrington's comments were the best. "They set the course up to play too easy, but it is a great course, please invite me next year." :)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 09:10:28 AM »
If sub-air systems have a small window of effectiveness, how do you justify the costs?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »
Jeff...Indeed I would say that I left myself wide open...bit of a hectic time at the office at the time...mind was in neutral, perhaps even reverse ;D
Lets just hope that three things happen.
Those on site who know WAY MORE than me are able to get the course asready as possible
Mother Nature helps some
The sub air is given the chance to do its job.

There that should put me back in everybody's graces, sorry for the earlier brain fart!!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 09:55:56 AM »
If sub-air systems have a small window of effectiveness, how do you justify the costs?

Adam,

You have to differentiate between a rainstorm and days of constant and/or heavy rain.

Given the event, it's scope and influence and it's  broadcast impact the cost is the easiest thing to justify

Adam Clayman

Re: Criticisms of Augusta Nat'l New
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2012, 09:31:14 AM »
Pat, I wasn't really referring to ANGC. Mentioning costs, and ANGC, isn't germane.

I was concerned about all those course that try to keep up with Joneses.

Unless preventing disease is their justification, I don't see why a well designed green and surrounds, would require the expenditure, if all one has to do is wait a few hours for similar results.

Can someone who is familiar with these systems, educate us on the real benefits?  
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:00:04 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Norbert P

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »

"It's a mop scene!"

(Jack Whitaker rules!)
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back