News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Then think about the scratch player  and those that can't break 100.

I think these are the core golfers who appreciate strategy the most.
AKA Mayday

Mark Saltzman

Re: Design for the 15 handicapper ( give or take 2 ) first and foremost
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 07:53:35 PM »
Mike, what does that mean? How does one 'design for a 15 capper?'

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 08:41:25 PM »
I think this all goes back to Mackenzie's design rules.

The course must be challenging to the short handicap man and playable for the hack  (Not Dr. Mac's phrase!).

The guy in the middle, the 15, will be challenged but won't have forced carries he can't make, deep rough where he can't find his ball, etc.   The greens will be contoured and sloped, no flat greens to accommodate 12 stimps.  He can make a good score if he plays well and manages his game well.

Look at Mac's American courses for evidence.   Unfortunately some of his courses have strayed from the guiding principles.  (What's up with that deep rough to the left of #16 at Crystal Downs?)

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:08:13 PM »
Palmetto seems to fit this exhortation pretty well.  Frankly, I think that basically any golf course that can be navigated with one or two golf balls 95% of the time will be of this kind.  Are there notable exceptions?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Randy Thompson

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 01:58:07 PM »
I disagree, this is my handicapp range and most players in this range donīt know what strategy is when it is staring them in the face. I think you have to desiign to help the higher handicapper get around and enjoy the round. The lower handicappers you have to challenge and look for ways to entice them into problems. The average golfer is still haigher than a 20 and they create there own problems by lack of control. You have to control the ball to play strategically and most times I have no idea where the ball is going and where it is going to end up. Hit and pray golf.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back