News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Snow!!!!
« on: April 03, 2012, 04:10:16 AM »
Well, after having avoided much snow this winter woke up this morning to find we have just had 6" of snow with 3ft drifts and its still snowing hard. Guess thats why we don't hold major golf tournaments in northern Scotland in April ;D

Jon

John Chilver-Stainer

Re: Snow!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 05:29:15 AM »
Hi Jon,

Out with the cross country skis again ?

Here’s a nostalgic view for you of Riederalp G.C.– they still have snow cover and more expected at the weekend.

http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Switzerland/Riederalp_webcams.html

Cheers
John

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:51:34 AM »
Jon W. -

Didn't you have a heat wave (temps over 60F) in the Highlands last week?

DT

Andy Troeger

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 10:27:05 AM »
Its been snowing pretty hard in Albuquerque for about the last hour--enough to have started sticking. I doubt we'll get more than an inch accumulation, but its crazy to get snow here in April! It was 85 on Saturday, and forecast is for 70 tomorrow.

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 02:07:04 PM »
Jon

I was boasting in an email to DT about the great weather we've been having and then I arrive back in Scotland after a weekend away to find motorway signs advising of snow forecasts.

BTW, stopped off yesterday at the nine holer at Nethy Bridge you mentioned and there were signs up saying no skiing or sledging allowed on the course. Clearly they have some very clever weather forecasters at Abernethy GC. Cracking looking course, definitely need to play it on the way down to Glasgow some Friday. I'll email you nearer the time and see if you fancy it.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 02:23:09 PM »
David,

last week we had three days in a row where the temp topped 70F. Then yesterday evening it turned much colder and started snowing. This morning some of the drifts were three feet deep and I even had to dig the council's snowplough out with the digger when it got stuck ::)

Niall,

I am up for playing Nethy Bridge if you find the time. It is a real blast and is for me what golf in Scotland is all about. In fact the only disappointing thing about the course is when I was 10 I used to have to really connect with my Dunlop Blueflash 2 wood to get the turbo boost bounce off the war memorial in the middle of the 8th fairway in order to reach the green and now its an easy three wood to flight the green.

Jon

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 02:46:02 PM »
Jon & Niall -

I have also read that, because it has been so dry in the Highlands this winter, there have been a series of wild fires lately. In fact, the bridge across the Dornoch Firth was closed for several hours last week due to a nearby fire.

I hope the weather returns to "normal," such as it is ;), soon!

DT

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
Jon & Niall -

I have also read that, because it has been so dry in the Highlands this winter, there have been a series of wild fires lately. In fact, the bridge across the Dornoch Firth was closed for several hours last week due to a nearby fire.

I hope the weather returns to "normal," such as it is ;), soon!

DT

Yes DT, and Scottish Water say if it stays this dry for the next 5 years we maybe looking at a hose pipe ban in 2017  ;D ;D ;D

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back