News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Lahinch has suffered in recession.
« on: April 07, 2012, 05:15:18 AM »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark_F

Re: Lahinch has suffered in recession.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 06:03:56 AM »
€80 to play Lahinch Old twice within seven days during November and December is a bargain I am looking forward to taking up.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 08:57:11 AM »
Everyone should read those numbers carefully.

The club has more than 2,000 members, and brings in over $1 million per year in visitor green fees.  And they LOST MONEY two of the last three years!!  That's insane.  I hope Mike Young sees this one.

Their problem in a nutshell is that they've tried to cater to the Americans, and they've caught our disease.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 09:00:57 AM »
I am with Tom,

how does a club like Lahinch spend more than 1,000,000 a year unless they are been really stupid.

Jon

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 09:11:23 AM »
Just to be clear, the article states the club has bounced back and is doing better.

We loved Lahinch when we were there last July. They offered more of a club type experience than Ballybunion and the greens fees were much lower at the time. We thought the people working there were especially nice and I cringe at the thought of referring to them as stupid.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:16:25 AM »
Everyone should read those numbers carefully.

The club has more than 2,000 members, and brings in over $1 million per year in visitor green fees.  And they LOST MONEY two of the last three years!!  That's insane.  I hope Mike Young sees this one.

Their problem in a nutshell is that they've tried to cater to the Americans, and they've caught our disease.

I've got to agree with Mr. Doak.  I don't know the specifics, but I'm thinking that in general, it costs what, 65% to maintain a golf course in Ireland/Scotland vs the typical American site?? I understand labor rates should be comparable, but I'm thinking there's a significant break on all of the chemicals and other what nots required to combat the different environmental conditions.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 09:16:41 AM »
Steve:

I didn't say they were stupid.  I said they were insane.  They built a big new clubhouse to cater to Americans, and they staffed it by American standards, even though they want to keep the dues low for themselves.  That's the only way to spend that kind of money on a links course.  I guarantee you their greenkeeper isn't making $200,000 a year.

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 10:02:36 AM »
Tom,

It was the post below yours that said they were stupid, sorry for the confusion.

I will say that the time we were there, their clubhouse was filled-to the brim with Irish members and their families eating and drinking. Of course it did just happen to be club championship day.

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »
Presumably the new clubhouse and any other significant capital investment accounts for losses in the last couple of years. I don't see that as being madness if you know your income flow is going to cover it. Presumably (and I don't know the situation there at all) they are catering for the increased numbers of visitors, not all of whom will be American, in the same way Gullane built a separate visitors clubhouse and Troon extended theirs to provide a visitors lounge for the very same reason. Seems reasonable to me.

If it helps the club retain a members area where they aren't over run by visitors then who can blame them. I reiterate, I don't know the situation on the ground.

Niall

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 11:23:39 AM »
The club's accumulated fund at the end of 2011 stood at €6m. The club's cash balance also increased from €856,164 to €1.32m.

Those are better numbers than 99.9% of clubs.
Cave Nil Vino

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 03:25:43 PM »
Tom,

It was the post below yours that said they were stupid, sorry for the confusion.

Steve,

I asked a question how does a club like Lahinch spend more than 1,000,000 a year unless they are been really stupid

I did not call them stupid as you imply I did. There is a difference.

If it was that they have extended the clubhouse then that might be he answer and so answer my question.

Jon

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 02:35:45 AM »
I have a local Lahinch member staying with me this weekend, I'll find out the locals view.

Brian - Deal has around 1800 members in all categories and even a match finishing on the 22nd will be done in under 4 hours! The raw number of members doesnt always tell the full story, we have hundreds of PSMs and some haven't visited in years despite the fees ranging from £5 to £155pa.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 02:06:29 PM »
Apparently the members are happy, they didn't build a new clubhouse but repaired a roof & spent many euros restoring the original MacKenzie features. Sounds like a pretty decent job.
Cave Nil Vino

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 03:37:21 PM »
Nice to know they invested in their greatest asset (the course).

Jon

Frank Pont

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 10:52:51 AM »
Glad I'm a member at Machrihanish with far less less members, far lower less membership fees and still a great links golf course.....

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 01:53:10 PM »
Frank - Machrihanish is wonderful but it's not exactly easy to get to so it will never be busy.
Cave Nil Vino

Frank Pont

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 03:39:58 PM »
Mark,

Dublin Airport - Lahinch is 2 hours 45 minutes,

Glasgow Airport - Machrihanish is 2 hours 45 minutes

Also the inner Ireland drive is pretty boring, something you cannot say of the Machrihanish road trip

You are of course right there is a lot more choice for other golf around Lahinch...

Sean Leary

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 04:40:24 PM »
Mark,

Dublin Airport - Lahinch is 2 hours 45 minutes,

Glasgow Airport - Machrihanish is 2 hours 45 minutes

Also the inner Ireland drive is pretty boring, something you cannot say of the Machrihanish road trip

You are of course right there is a lot more choice for other golf around Lahinch...

Its very close to Shannon airport though.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 04:41:17 PM »
Frank,

Can that drive to Machrihanish really be done in 2:45?  If I recall, it takes a fair bit more than that, as the roads can be pretty rugged condition wise. Have they gotten better?
I'm a HUGE fan of golf on the Mull ! Really hard to beat.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back