News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ross Harmon

Bandon Thoughts
« on: April 02, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »
Just got home from my first trip to Bandon... wow! Even thought we missed our connecting flight due to weather and had to drive up from SFO and even though it rained almost the entire time, it was the best golf experience I've ever had. (Sorry Ballyneal, you've been bumped to #2.)

I was there with a group of 12 guys (a few are on GCA and will probably pipe up soon) for 4 days. We played 8 rounds - 2 at Trails, 2 at Old Mac, 1 at Bandon Dunes and 3 at Pacific Dunes. This was about the perfect breakdown in my opinion for a 4 day trip. An extra day and I would have added 1 more round at each Trails and Old Mac, or the Preserve if it was open.

Anyways, all 4 courses are Doak 8-10s for me. My favorite was Old Mac, it's just too much fun. Definitely a course like Ballyneal that you could play 100 times a year and not get the least bit bored. Pac Dunes is that way too. The first day, at Pac Dunes, I was just ear to ear grinning the entire time, despite the intense rainstorm. Hats off to Tom and Jim for their outstanding work at those 2 courses that are undoubtedly the best in the world.

I also enjoyed Trails a great deal. The wind created several driveable 4s, which is always exciting. Not surprisingly, greens were driven but still par'd. We got a sneak peak at Preserve, which looks amazing. Will definitely be spending an afternoon there next time.

Bandon Dunes was also fantastic. The wind and rain was almost unbearable by the water, so I didn't get as much time to soak in the views, was more soaking in my shoes and pants. It's a true testament to Mike's vision out there to say that it was my least favorite course and still probably a Doak 8 for me.

After getting home last night around 1, I unpacked for an hour and then couldn't get to sleep. Turned on the Old Mac DVD for an hour to relive the memories and dream about the next trip, which I called to inquire about today.  ;D Hopefully I'll be back at Bandon before the end of the year and will one day get to play NGLA.

I know 99% of this forum has been to Bandon many times, but if you haven't been yet, or haven't been since Old Mac and soon the Preserve have opened, its time to go. Mike, Tom, Jim, Bill and Ben have some really special things to experience.

Mac Plumart

Re: Bandon Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 08:43:16 PM »
Ross...I'm glad you enjoyed yourself so much.  Old Mac was my favorite as well, but they are all something really special.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jud_T

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 08:45:25 PM »
Ross,

Glad you enjoyed it.  It truly is a special place.. Couple of questions.  How windy was it?  Could you delineate why you feel Bandon Dunes is a Doak 8+? (agree with you on the other 3.. ;))...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 09:46:46 PM »
He didn't write "8+".
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 09:58:32 PM »
Jud,

I can't speak for Ross, but I was there three weeks ago...and this is a true accounting of my first morning there...

I got to Bandon the day before my two buddies were to arrive.  We had four full days of golf planned. Their first flight from SFO was cancelled and then their second (and last of the day) was also cancelled - they ended up renting a car and driving to Eureka, spent the night, and finished the drive the next day eventually arriving a half day late.  I decided to go out as a single that morning and decided to play OM.  The weather was pretty brutal - constant 25mph winds from the south with gusts up to 50mph - horizontal rain constant.I was paired with a twosome and we played the first two holes and laughed at how bad the weather was...after our tee shots on three, we climbed the hill and my drive was down to the right and theirs were both down the left.  At the top of the hill we felt the full brunt of the weather. It is pretty amazing how protected 1, 2, 17, and 18 are at OM.  I played my second shot on three and waited to see them come down from the hill...and waited...and waited. It turns out they turned back and walked to the clubhouse and called it a day.  I kept playing in easily the worst weather conditions I have ever played in - and I enjoy bad weather golf.  I stopped at the turn stand after seven and had a Maker's to go.  I parred Biarritz with a six iron tee shot that I played 20 yards right of the green that ended up 10 feet past the pin.  After my tee shot on 8 and the effects of the Maker's taking hold, I found the biggest gorse bush I could find and huddled on the downwind side for 20 minutes and caught my breath.  I ended up finishing the round and lived the experience, but was something else.  That night, the twosome that abandoned me on three ended up sitting next to us at McKee's - we had a good laugh. Apparently, they were shouting to me from the top of the hill, but because of the wind and rain - I couldn't hear them...they finally gave up and assumed I would figure it out...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:01:31 PM by Chris Hufnagel »

Jim Tang

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 10:15:38 PM »
Ross -

Bandon is indeed, special.  I can't wait for my third visit there, scheduled for this July.

I'm curious, how did the non-GCA members of your group react to the facility?  What did they make of OM?  Of the four courses, which one was the consensus favorite among the non-GCA guys?

Ross Harmon

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
Ross,

Glad you enjoyed it.  It truly is a special place.. Couple of questions.  How windy was it?  Could you delineate why you feel Bandon Dunes is a Doak 8+? (agree with you on the other 3.. ;))...

I was between 7 and 8. It's probably really a 7, but hats off to David for building the first one and paving the way for the rest.

Ross Harmon

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 10:40:40 PM »
Ross -

Bandon is indeed, special.  I can't wait for my third visit there, scheduled for this July.

I'm curious, how did the non-GCA members of your group react to the facility?  What did they make of OM?  Of the four courses, which one was the consensus favorite among the non-GCA guys?

I think, of our group, 7 or 8 liked Pac Dunes the best and 4 or 5 liked Old Mac the best. The non-GCAers were actually more likely to like Old Mac... maybe they just do "pay as much attention to" the rankings! :)

For me, Pac Dunes is on an unreal piece of land that would be impossible to build anything less than an 8 on. My thoughts was that it took much more vision and creativity for Tom, Jim, George, Mike and the others to figure out Old Mac. Old Mac is also more strategic IMO, especially with the par 3s and short 4s.

Ross Harmon

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 10:44:02 PM »
Their first flight from SFO was cancelled and then their second (and last of the day) was also cancelled - they ended up renting a car and driving to Eureka, spent the night, and finished the drive the next day eventually arriving a half day late.

Flying in and out of OTH definitely proved to be a big mess. Even if you got there, they didn't have most people's rental cars (2 cars available for the 7 reservations that day). Some people's luggage didn't make it home with them. We'll definitely be flying to Eugene or Portland next time.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 03:09:42 AM »
Blimey last week on the Kent coast it was 60-65 degrees each day, light breezes and it hasn't rained in weeks. Sounds like Melvyn will have to travel to the USA to play real golf.  ;D
Cave Nil Vino

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 05:35:07 AM »
Ross
  Happy that you had a great introduction to Bandon. It is indeed unique in the golf world. I spent 8 days there last year at the USGA Public Links Championship and it was one of the great experiences of my life..I refereed 5 matches that week including the final match and it blew 20-25 mph all day. Got to play my first two rounds of golf in 13 months and I could not have picked a better place to get back into it( Had back to back deuces at Pacific Dunes, just missed an ace). What makes Bandon so special and I relayed my thoughts to Mike and Jim are the people, the great staff at Bandon.
  I can't honestly rate them, all 4 courses have their own special touch but if I had one to play it would be Old Mac.
  Did you happen to get a peak at the "Sheep Ranch?"
  I'm betting you can't wait to go again.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Ross Harmon

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 12:48:09 PM »
Ross
  Did you happen to get a peak at the "Sheep Ranch?"

Pete,
We didn't play Sheep Ranch and just saw what you can see from the Old Mac halfway house.

Also, speaking of Halfway Houses, they are tearing down the Pac Dunes one very soon to build a new one. No more outdoor urinals...  :(

Michael George

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 01:13:44 PM »
Can anyone explain to me what seems to be a "group think mentality" against Bandon Dunes (the course, not the resort) on the site?  Is it just the typical Doak and C&C bias on the site?

I thought the stretches from 3-7 on the front and 14-17 on the back were really great holes.  I also enjoy the first tee being right next to the clubhouse.  A lot of people in my group thought it was their favorite course - pretty much everyone found it the most playable for all players.

I understand criticism that 9 and 18 are not strong finishing holes for the respective nines.  The resort should try and make the holes more interesting.  However, I did not think 7 and 18 were great on Trails, did not think 9 and 11 were great on Old Mac and did not think 12 and 15 were great on Pac Dunes.    

When I was out there, I played each course twice and when I return, I will do the same.  All are great golf courses.  
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:15:25 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Jim Franklin

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 01:36:36 PM »
I'm with you Michael. We are playing each twice this summer.
Mr Hurricane

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 03:20:59 PM »
Michael,

I don't think it's a group-think here.  Many love Bandon Dunes and prefer it to Trails.  Personally, I think it gets a lot of love for being the first course and because of it's historical importance and ocean views.  While a good course in it's own right, I think it pales in comparison to the other 3 and I won't be wasting time and money playing it again.  But that's just me...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael George

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 03:31:09 PM »
Jud:

If you have been there and don't like it, that is fine.  No problems with that attitude.  I have played courses that everyone else seems to love and I did not care too much for.  Oakland Hills is my classic exampe there.  Yes, I loved the greens, but found the rest of the course to be straight away and boring.  I am not saying that Bandon is my favorite (or that it is not even my least favorite), but I think it is a great golf course that I would not miss.  I personally could not imagine going back to Bandon and not playing #4-#6 and #15-#17 at Bandon Dunes.  I think the tee shot on #16 is the most thrilling at the resort possibly. 

As long as opinion is actually based on personal experience, I am fine with it.  Just think some people say that more to follow the group, then based on reality.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 03:34:18 PM »

Last I checked Bandon Dunes was #7 on Golfweek list and Bandon Trails was number #26.  So the original course still gets some love, just not here.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 04:02:28 PM »
I would probably put BD at the bottom of the four courses in terms of my preferences, but we are really splitting filament-thin hairs here, IMHO.  If BD were the only course ever built at the resort (which was a distinct possibility when Keiser started on this potential folly), it would still be worth the trip.  I think the same can be said for the other three courses.  In my judgment, it comes down to personal preference and one's own comfort level with each golf course.  Pacific Dunes is my personal favorite, probably because every hole seems to fit my eye.  Old Macdonald is a close second, and I can honestly say that it is the most visually unusual golf course I've ever played, with so many of the holes being out in the middle of a huge meadow.  Bandon Trails is the one that has the best sense of "place", with most of the holes looking very Pac Northwest authentic.  On the other courses, one could think that you were in a different area of the country, but BT is distinctively Oregonian in appearance.  As for Bandon Dunes, there are a few holes that are sort of underwhelming in my particular view, but there are many more that are simply stellar.  The fact that the course has returning nines and that the first hole is steps from the clubhouse is a nice touch as well.  So, I like all four courses and I can't imagine going on a Bandon trip and not playing every one of the four. 
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ross Harmon

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 04:21:53 PM »
Call me crazy... but I actually liked NOT going back to the clubhouse after 9 on the other courses... was more of an "adventure"!

Just booked for next March. 2 rounds at each Old Mac, Pac Dunes, Trails, 1 at Bandon Dunes and Preserve. Interesting (disappointing) that they are not doing the replay rate at Preserve, so my afternoon round there will actually be MORE than if I went out to one of the other courses... hmmmmm...

Stephen Davis

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 12:39:35 AM »
Ross,
I am excited to here about your trip. I live about 3 hours away from the resort and was able to play there on three different occasions this winter and I love to hear about other's experience at this amazing place. I think your break down of courses was pretty good, I have played Old Mac 4 times, Pacific Dunes 4 times, Bandon Dunes 3 times, and Bandon Trails 3 times. Old Mac and Pacific are hands down my favorite two there followed by Bandon Dunes and then Bandon Trails. That being said all of the courses are fantastic and I can't wait to play the Preserve.

Will Lozier

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 09:37:17 AM »
Ross...I'm glad you enjoyed yourself so much.  Old Mac was my favorite as well, but they are all something really special.

Mac...of course Old Mac was your favorite!  Glad you made it to Augusta Monday!  Let's play again soon.

Cheers,
Will

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back