News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

How Often Do You Actually Get To The Course?
« on: March 31, 2012, 10:11:01 PM »
The other day I was playing with a lurker to this site, the lurker is the son of a prominent member. When he was discussing the site he made a comment that it seems many on this board don't get to the course much.

I realize for some of you your club is just opening from the winter but when it is open how often do you get out? I don't get to play as much as I like (does anyone?) but I try to walk a few holes a few nights a week and play once a week. Tonight after work I hit a bucket and walked 4 holes before dark.

Gene Greco

Re: How Often Do You Actually Get To The Course?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:39:24 PM »
    Sam,

I play a similar schedule as you - a few holes many eves after I leave the office and one round a week. Unless I am on a golf getaway at which 36 per day is the norm.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
    Sam,

I play a similar schedule as you - a few holes many eves after I leave the office and one round a week. Unless I am on a golf getaway at which 36 per day is the norm.

Getaway is atleast 36 a day!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 10:45:38 PM »
I play at least twice a week.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 01:38:54 AM »
I try really hard to play 18 holes a week...if I'm lucky it's twice that.  I used to play almost every day...work gets in the way these days...
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Ken Moum

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 02:00:07 AM »
I think I played about 150 times last year. Something like 120 posted to GHIN, the rest wer out of season or not under the ROG.

But then I have no life.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 04:59:52 AM »
About 80 rounds a year. Generally about five times a month, but also golf binges on trips, when 36 a day is normal.

Though as of this weekend my wife and I have moved from a 20-min drive from my club to just 1km (0.6 of a mile) from the clubhouse, so I expect to get out a bit more and practice a lot more often (starting from a base of never) before and after work.

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 05:06:29 AM »
I am guessing I played about 55 games the past 12 months - up from the previous few years due to the great winter weather.  Although, most of my golf is not at my club.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 06:02:10 AM »
60 to 80 hrs a week on the course.  lol, it is still in dirt though. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 09:02:44 AM »
Sam:

The answers you've got so far are probably not from the guys IN the golf business, or from the guys with kids.

As a proud member of the golf business, I usually play between 20 and 40 rounds a year.  And that's probably more than the average!  I would play a little bit more if I lived someplace with a longer golf season ... or if I didn't spend so much time in airports!

Tim Bert

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 09:11:30 AM »
I play 25 to 30 rounds a year, with at least 20 of those rounds taking place in one of three golf weekends. So aside from those three glorious long weekends each year I average less than a round a month.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 10:58:06 AM »
Sam:

The answers you've got so far are probably not from the guys IN the golf business, or from the guys with kids.

As a proud member of the golf business, I usually play between 20 and 40 rounds a year.  And that's probably more than the average!  I would play a little bit more if I lived someplace with a longer golf season ... or if I didn't spend so much time in airports!

Married with 2 kids...not in the golf business, rather a consumer of golf products and services...at least twice a week.   :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 11:25:16 AM »
Three to four days a week, although not always to play 9 or 18.  Sometimes just to "practice" and hang out.  Hey, I'm retired.

William_G

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 04:42:37 PM »
about 50 rounds per year, don't play every week, pick my spots and play in streaks

have played since I was 8
It's all about the golf!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 05:02:04 PM »
Tom that's no excuse, landing at virtually every airport you seem to fly over a course at the end of the runway!
Cave Nil Vino

Jim Tang

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 05:15:53 PM »
I'm usually somewhere between 30 & 40 rounds per year, May to September.

80% of my rounds are local, here in Chicago.  The other 20% come from an annual golf trip or two.  This year, Bandon and Kingsley, and I'm hoping I'll have closer to 50 rounds.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 05:39:32 PM »
I play a lot.

Weather permitting, I play both days on the weekend and I probably average two more nights after work per week. After work, I sometimes only play 9 or 13 holes (No. 13 green is near the clubhouse). Or I might just practice.

From April until mid-October, I rarely go more than three or four days without at least playing nine holes after work.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 06:50:28 PM »
I'm a 120-150 round/year guy.  About twice/week with a few binge trips mixed in.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 07:53:48 PM »
I play a lot.

Weather permitting, I play both days on the weekend and I probably average two more nights after work per week. After work, I sometimes only play 9 or 13 holes (No. 13 green is near the clubhouse). Or I might just practice.

From April until mid-October, I rarely go more than three or four days without at least playing nine holes after work.

I am pretty similar to Jeff.

Play a skins games on sunday and usually 18 on an fri afternoon.  Add to that 2 days after work where I either practice or walk nine (more often than not, playing a couple balls or with a healthy dose of mulligans).

Cory Lewis

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 07:55:39 PM »
I'm a 120-150 round/year guy.  About twice/week with a few binge trips mixed in.
ditto.  Tom is right, I tend to be the exception in the golf business rather than the rule.  My boss plays about 20 rounds a year and most of the pros I know in the area play about 20 to 30 times a year.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tim Martin

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 08:00:33 PM »
ditto.  Tom is right, I tend to be the exception in the golf business rather than the rule.  My boss plays about 20 rounds a year and most of the pros I know in the area play about 20 to 30 times a year.

Cory plays well,plays fast and plays a lot. Unless you are paying strict attention you will miss his pre-shot routine. If I havn`t listed enough reasons to want to play with him I`ll add one more which is you won`t meet a better guy.

Steve Lang

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 08:48:25 PM »
 8)
Year-round, sat & sunday if not raining, + 0-3 times during week after work as able .. used to play more when ms sheila was travelling for her job, and 18 instead of 9 after work
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Shane Wright

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 09:39:34 PM »
Married with two in diapers, however, the two year old loves practicing with me so hoping my rounds go up in the next couple of years with him alongside. 

I play about 25 rounds a year. Probably 8-10 are tournaments, 8-10 on one golf trip and 5+ while traveling for work.  I squeeze in some additional 9 hole rounds here and there.  I get out and practice at least twice a week either early morning or lunch. Evenings when not traveling for work and weekends are pretty much exclusively family time.

I live vicariously thru many of you until my oldest can play.  Our goal is to one day have a three generation round at Ballybunion.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 10:15:42 PM »
If I played as fast as Cory I'd play 500 rounds a year.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 01:57:12 AM »
Having only taken up the game aged 50 I feel like I've got a lot of catching up to do!

I play in the club comp every Saturday and one full round midweek - usually visiting another club. I also get to the course most other weekdays for an hour or so either before or after work when light permits for a little practice over a few holes.

On Sundays I often play with my 11 year-old son. My wife is also threatening to come along now that I have upgraded to family membership...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 02:03:12 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back