News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark McKeever

Re: Mike Whitaker
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2012, 09:20:12 AM »
Best wishes Mike!  I hope you're back playing soon.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2012, 10:10:15 AM »
Mike, 

Thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

DRB
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2012, 11:09:37 AM »
mike:  Great news that you are okay.  The secret now for a complete recovery is more golf.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2012, 11:15:56 AM »
The secret now for a complete recovery is more golf.

There can be no argument about this.

8)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2012, 11:18:42 AM »
Get well & stay well Mike
Peace
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2012, 11:28:17 AM »
Mike get well soon. You are in my prayers.  I so hope for a full recovery for you. You are our the man who seems to be everywhere and need to continue that.  cheers Tiger
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:29:48 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2012, 11:56:34 AM »
Mike - you know that Laura and I love you and wish you all the best.  Many prayers headed down to SC!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2012, 12:08:18 PM »
There are messages of support here from around the world, it just shows how well travelled Mike is.
Cave Nil Vino

RJ_Daley

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
I also just saw this thread and like others- I had a few anxious moments as I paged through the posts until I got to Mike's own confirmation that any reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated.  I'm still waiting for Mucci to tell us how he played 54 holes and carried his bag at NGLA two hours after his stent procedure...  ::) ;) ;D  (kidding) 

Seriously Mike, you are one of the great gentlemen of GCA and have been so generous of your time and shared your infectious enthusiasm with so many of us.  Get well soon!!!!
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »
So I went to the course today and decided to play a 9-hole match against Mike. The first hole would be Mike's ball, and the next hole my ball, match played at scratch against par.

Opening hole is an easy par 5, but Mike hooked his drive into a bunker and had to lay up. Unfortunately, his ball ended up in a nasty old divot hole. Brightly would have whined and maybe asked for winter rules since it was before opening day... but Mike just walked up and hit it to 20 feet and a routine 2-putt par.

Playing the #1 handicap second hole, Bill hit a great drive but his rescue club to the green hung right into the bunker. He failed to get it up and down, Whitaker up one.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:58:03 PM by Bill Brightly »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2012, 02:13:21 PM »
Hole 3 is our Biarritz, and while I hoped Mike would play a run up shot, he chose to hit full rescue club at the pin. He hit a great shot, but the greens are firm from the lack of rain, and the ball rolled over. He a ticklelish chip back. Too hard and it rolls down into the deep swale. He hit a brave shot to 4 feet but yanked the putt. I am now concerned with Mike's putting today.

On the tough par 4 4th hole, Bill hooks his drive left of everything, hits a good 7 iron under the hole and two putts for par and a win. All Square.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:58:44 PM by Bill Brightly »

George Pazin

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »
Mike, please take good care of yourself. The world needs more people like you and Tiger B.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2012, 02:27:57 PM »
Mike,
only the very best wishes from us in Fife.
I hear red wine is pretty good for thinning the blood. Now where did I leave the corkscrew?

v best,
Martin.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2012, 02:30:59 PM »
Hole 5 is Double Pateau, and Mike hit a safe 3 wood down the middle and good 7 iron, to the middle of the green but the pin was on the back plateau. He left his putt 3 feet short and shoved the next one right...

Hole 6 is our "Short." With 148 into the wind, Bill planned to hit a choked 7 iron. At address, the wind stopped, but Bill refused to change his plan...and by the time the ball was in the air the wind had shifted and was helping...so his well-struck shot hit the back of the green and bounded down the hill. You do NOT want to be long on "Short" holes... From the bunker way below the hole, Bill hit a very good sand wedge that landed on the top of the horshoe, but rolled down the slope15 feet past the pin. Two-putt bogey. All square.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2012, 02:47:09 PM »
Mike smoked a drive on Hole 7 leaving 125 to a front pin. Remembering the helping wind on 6, Mike now takes an extra club... and the wind lays down and his perfect 9 iron is now 40 feet too long, and he has to run his putt perfectly on top of a spine. Too far right and it breaks right, too far left and it breaks left. Our caddy is Rocky, the best in the club. Rocky gives Mike the perfect line, but he overrules Rock, and picks a line 12 inches to the right...putt slides way right and another 3-putt bogey...

Hole 8 is the par 5 Plateau. Bill blocked his drive into the right woods, hit miraculous recovery to 190, but blocked his rescue club into the greenside bunker. Pin on lower plateau. He hit a very good sand shot but it rolled out a bit and he missed his 8-fotter. Bogey and all square.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:57:21 PM by Bill Brightly »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2012, 02:57:19 PM »
Bill - this is best I have played in many years!!! And, don't worry about my putter... it will get hot soon. You are in for one hell of a match, fella!!!!!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 03:03:12 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2012, 03:02:39 PM »
Mike get well soon. You are in my prayers.  I so hope for a full recovery for you. You are our the man who seems to be everywhere and need to continue that.  cheers Tiger

Tiger - you, my friend, have had a tough year. My troubles are trivial compared to what you have gone through. You're a tough Tiger!

I'm very lucky that I got to the hospital quickly. My Dr came by on rounds this morning... we calculated that my symptoms started about 8:05 yesterday morning. By 9:00am he was inserting stents! That is quick action. We are very lucky to have a great hospital system and medical community here in Greenville.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2012, 03:08:09 PM »
Guys... I can't tell you how much your notes and wishes have cheered me up. I look forward to seeing you all soon.

I'll definitely be at the Buda and Dixie Cup. Unfortunately, I'm going to miss the Deal match against The Outpost Club. My Dr does not want me to play golf until he does some more repair work in a few weeks.

I hope to be back on the golf course before the end of May!!!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2012, 03:09:02 PM »
Hole 9 is a long par 4 and Bill will get to play the easy par 5 tenth, which evens out holes 1 and 2, which was in Mike's favor.  Mike kills his drive and has 190 down wind, but blocks his 5 iron into the right bunker. He tries to get cute with the sand shot and leaves it in the rough, hits poor chip and poor putt for a double.

Bill makes routine par on Hole 10. Bill up one.

Mike: I know in real life you are an excellent putter...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:00:23 AM by Bill Brightly »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2012, 03:10:34 PM »
Great to see you posting Mike.  I hope I can act as swiftly and decisively as you did, if (when) I start to suffer the same symtoms my father had.

Looking forward to seeing you this summer.  Still thinking about where to eat.  All the best to Nancy.

Tony  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 03:20:21 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2012, 03:15:22 PM »
Wow!  What a scary post...but so glad to see Mike posting here in his usual jovial self.

We need to keep the GCA mollydooker club going strong around here Mike...so GET WELL AND STAY WELL!!!!!!!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2012, 03:29:18 PM »
Hole 9 is a long par 4 and Bill will get to play the easy par 5 tenth, which evens out holes 1 and 2, which was in Mike's favor.  Mike kills his drive and has 190 down wind, but blocks his 5 iron into the right bunker. Het tries to get cute with the sand shot and leaves it in the rough, hits poor chip and poor putt for a double.

Bill makes routine par on Hole 10. Bill up one.

Mike: I know in real life you are an excellent putter...

I'm so excited to be hitting my 5-iron 190 yards!!! That has always been a 3-iron until now. I feel so young and strong!!!  ;)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2012, 03:30:12 PM »
Is there anyone on this site who ISN'T playing with Mike this summer?!

;D

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »
Mike,
only the very best wishes from us in Fife.
I hear red wine is pretty good for thinning the blood. Now where did I leave the corkscrew?

v best,
Martin.

Martin - I will be in Fife in August. Maybe we can get together for a pint... or two... or three!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2012, 03:31:57 PM »
Mike smokes another great drive on 11 and has 190 to a back pin. Same wind on hole 6, which should help...He hits a safe 5 iron but NO WIND and now has a LONG birdie putt, which he weakly leaves 6 feet short...and lets the next putt break under the hole.

On the redan 12th, Bill has 198 to a back pin, bails out right and almost has enough to catch the kickmound which will feed the ball down to the middle of the green...but the shot is too weak and stays off the green. Now Bill has a brutal downhill putt with the diagonal spine to deal with. He hits the putt with proper pace, but does not play it high enough, and the spine throws it way left, leaving a 15 foot hook putt that burns the edge. Bill one up.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 09:35:23 PM by Bill Brightly »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back