News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Potash

Tom_Doak

Re: I mean, this pic is almost unfair. Spectacular.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 11:45:20 AM »
I get accused of building unfair courses all the time.  I'm used to it by now.   ;)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 11:50:08 AM »
I get accused of building unfair courses all the time.  I'm used to it by now.   ;)

Interesting, I find your courses very playable.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 01:55:07 PM »
I too have found your courses very playable.  I reserve the right to change my opinion after playing Riverfront this summer - it appears from the aerial to have a housing / width problems in some areas.

Chris

JESII

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 03:52:54 PM »
Click the link boys...it’s the site and setting (and how both are captured) that’s “unfair”... not the golf.

Peter Flory

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 07:21:37 PM »
Tom, what were your restrictions at the site?  Setbacks, plant life/ animal life, etc?  It looks like you stayed away from the very edge of the the vegetation line to the shore. 

Also, do they have the same snake issues in NZ as they do in Australia? 

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 07:53:39 AM »
it is spectacular!  If i had to play only one course the rest of my days I think it would be my choice
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Kurt Everett

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 02:55:40 PM »

Off the top of my head, I think Ballyneal may be my most favorite course I've played in recent memory.
I found it extremely playable and loved how much it made me think about shots and creativity.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 03:57:53 PM »
Tom, what were your restrictions at the site?  Setbacks, plant life/ animal life, etc?  It looks like you stayed away from the very edge of the the vegetation line to the shore. 

Also, do they have the same snake issues in NZ as they do in Australia?

There are no poisonous snakes in New Zealand- very different than Australia.

The original setback line for disturbance followed an old treeline about 100m from the shore, but jogging in and out.  It must have been drawn on on aerial photo by some government official.  Anyway, we were allowed to clear the trees on the other side, which were starting to fall down anyway, so the rationale of the line made little sense. 

The local authority made us keep a buffer, but allowed us some adjustments to build the 3rd and 17th greens a bit inside the setback, in exchange for more buffer further down the coast.  They have been less flexible about the two new courses down the beach.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 05:12:50 PM »
What happened to the trees that that were cleared Tom? Sold for lumber? And the root-balls too? Buried?
Curious as to what constitutes tree-line? Can there be different interpretationsin different places .... trunk, outer edge of canopy, even outer edge of the roots? Scrub and brush too?
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back