News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Emerald Ash Borer Discovered East of the Hudson River
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:11:40 AM »
Scientists say this might not be all bad news since the colony was discovered early.

http://tinyurl.com/7v6yhl7

Anthony

PCCraig

Re: Emerald Ash Borer Discovered East of the Hudson River
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:32:32 AM »
Scientists say this might not be all bad news since the colony was discovered early.

http://tinyurl.com/7v6yhl7

Anthony

EAB has become pretty well established in most parts of the Twin Cities. From what I've heard is that most golf courses (and the city of St. Paul) have elected to remove all of their ash trees as they will inevitably die anyway without expensive treatments. Hard to justify the cost in my opinion as they are generally pretty ugly trees. "Specimen" trees they are not.

As of a couple years ago my course had about ~130 ash trees on the property (out of ~1200 total trees) and so far only ~20 have been removed. The rest should follow over the next few years with the removed trees greatly improving some holes (to the right of #17 near the green is all Ash to those who know what I'm talking about).
H.P.S.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 05:00:34 AM »
Tony,

Mountain Ridge lost every Ash tree, most of which were on the perimeter of the property.

Is there a known deterrent or cure ?

Tom Allen

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:26:33 AM »
Inevitable, sadly (in my opinion).  Some effective treatments are being discovered, but they remain costly.  I'm in SW Ohio, and you would not believe the devastation it has caused.  I could count on one hand the number of ash trees that have survived down here, out of thousands, if not more.  Several courses here have prospectively removed all ash, simply because the dead trees look terrible, are a safety hazard, and you can't stop it.

And despite bans on moving firewood between counties to prevent its mobility, it still moves right along, county to county.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back