News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Harshbarger

A quick to the local library has confirmed this fact.  But it also brought to light a host of interesting tidbits in the conception, birth, and life of a local course.

One of the owners of the local mill was hooked, but frustrated that his friends would not spare the 5-6 hours to travel to Hoosick CC.

At a party in the chill winter of '25 friends agreed to form a club.

By March, the club was formed with 50 members.  95 members were on board by end of year.  Bylaws were taken directly from Hoosick and MacGregor.

The Pro at MacGregor was engaged to survey 2 sites, recommending the current site as having more potential, and being feasible for less than $2,000.

A lease was obtained on the land, the Pro Mr. Hills, laid out the routing, and the mill owner had the superintendent build the course. The lease covered taxes on the land.

Sand greens were soon in place, and by May, play commenced.  The course was the first in Washington County.  Over the summer, swamp drainage improved the lands considerably.

The 1925 course played to Par 31, though scores in the 50's won the many competitions.  Most of the equipment played was new, as no one knew how to play.

The routing included a hole where the line of charm required carrying an orchard and a barn.  A favorite shot of the various pros was to clear the barn.  For members, trying this shot was also great fun, resulting in a barrage of balls hitting the barn, necessitating a recovery shot to get back on course.

Social events were legion, in 1925, being held out of a tent setup next to a barn.  A proper house was built in 1926.

A significant percentage of members were women.

Over the years the course has had a number of improvements, including lengthening a few holes, building up the green pads to provide more back to front slope, and adding alternate tees.  The course now plays to a par 35.

In 1938, the club was one of 8 founding members of the Eastern NY Golf Association.

87 years on, the course continues to provide recreation, comraderie, and bonhomie to the community.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:50:53 AM by David Harshbarger »
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Peter Pallotta

Re: My Home Course Has No historical Architectural significance
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 10:26:03 AM »
Damn straight, David.  Courses with no architectural significance -- then and now, the real lifeblood of the game!!

Peter

BCrosby

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 11:05:47 AM »
Peter -

Courses of no architectural significance are indeed the lifeblood of the game.

On a slightly different tack, I've wondered why what's not good about such courses gets so little attention here. I suppose it is hard to do in a forum like this. Peoples' eye will glaze over before you finish describing it.

But asking why a not good course is not good can be as informative as asking why a good course is good.

Bob 

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:11:26 AM »
Nice job David, thanks.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 12:33:30 PM »
I've wondered why what's not good about such courses gets so little attention here. I suppose it is hard to do in a forum like this. Peoples' eye will glaze over before you finish describing it.

But asking why a not good course is not good can be as informative as asking why a good course is good.

Bob 

Bob - I agree.  The difficulty I have found is that you need a critical mass to have played the course in order to have any interesting give and take on a course.  It is tough to have a critical mass on a course without some sort of pedigree.

Carl Johnson

David Harshbarger

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 05:56:23 PM »
Jason, that lack of pedigree is exactly what my course has.  As much as we might like, Donald Ross didn't send us a set of green designs. Devereux Emmet didn't stop by when he was 15 miles south at Mechanicville.  A.W. Tillinghast didn't have us on his itinerary when he took his road tour through the capital district.  Our course is a solitary twig on the GCA tree.

However, Bob, just because studying our course will shed little light on the great questions of golf architecture, that is not to say the course is not good.  In fact, it's a fine course with a number of interesting features.  There are at least four greens where you could de-green a putt, depending on green speed and pin location.  There are two diaganol Indian Burial mounds in play, one prominently bisecting a fairway 50 yards from the green.  As a set, the greens encourage repeat play.  Is the course a master class in GCA? No.  But you can make poor decisions and lose strokes, no doubt about it.

And, I would proudly share my course with anyone on GCA.com, without a moment's hesitation.  It is, after all, a well-hidden gem. 

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 06:15:37 PM »
David- You love it as do your boys and that is all the pedigree it needs. I often wonder how different holes and architectural features would be viewed if certain names(ODG's) were attached instead of a no name.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 06:33:15 PM »
Tim, thanks so much.  I was there today with my 7 year old.  We were at the far point of the course, where the tree line opens up the view to the Battenkill that runs tight to the course heading out, right down by the old railroad tressle, with the splash of the rapids in our ears, the geese doing their mating dance, and even with clouds from west to east, he says "It is really turning out to be a beautiful day, isn't it dad?".

"It sure is, Jack.  It sure is."

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 06:59:11 PM »
Tim, thanks so much.  I was there today with my 7 year old.  We were at the far point of the course, where the tree line opens up the view to the Battenkill that runs tight to the course heading out, right down by the old railroad tressle, with the splash of the rapids in our ears, the geese doing their mating dance, and even with clouds from west to east, he says "It is really turning out to be a beautiful day, isn't it dad?".

"It sure is, Jack.  It sure is."

As time marches on and they play the course with you, together,alone and with their friends the love of the game will be nurtured right there at that very special little nine holer. Regardless of how many great courses you all get to play it will be hard to match those memories so cherish every one and remember that they are growing to love the game because you do.

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »
David,

I'd love to see some pics of those Indian Burial Mounds if you ever have the chance.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back