News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Rockville Links more great EMMET
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:22:43 PM »
The board and members at this compact gem are seriously considering an excellent master plan, conceived by Jim Urbina. Remarkable bunkering and amazing green complexes may soon awake from a very long slumber.  With improvements at Huntington, Glen Head and
St. Georges this is very good news for fans of Devereux Emmet. More at....

www.devereuxemmetsociety.com

David Harshbarger

Re: Rockville Links more great EMMET
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:40:36 PM »
Great news, Mark, thanks for sharing.

Are you seeing clubs taking on these changes as part of a greater awareness of the possibilities of restoration?  Is this a trend that's spreading through older clubs?  Does any of this have to do with restoring an Emmet course, as opposed to the more generic reinvigoration of the member's home course?

Dave
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Robert Emmons

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 04:55:21 PM »
Mark,
It has been along time since we heard from you...good news for sure...RHE

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:50:05 PM »
Good news indeed.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Brian Finn

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 06:01:11 PM »
That is terrific.  I grew up down the block from the course and caddied there (and at Hempstead G&CC) in high school.  There are a few cool greenside bunkers and interesting greens.  For a small, tight, and flat property, there are some very fun holes.  Unfortunately, there are some real duds, too.  I would love to see what it could be once Jim Urbina begins his work.  Let's hope the board/members move forward.  I have a few friends that are members there, so I will see what they are hearing.

I saw Wheatley hills mentioned as well, but did not catch the specifics.  Do you have any details of their plan?  Wheatley is blessed with more interesting terrain, and (to my untrained eye) would seem to offer more strategic options.  Excluding some unfortunately placed power lines, it is a very nice course and club.  

I look forward to hearing more about these clubs and other Emmett gems!  Thanks.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

mark chalfant

Re: Rockville Links great EMMET restoration
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 02:58:15 PM »
I saw the progress in person last Friday. Jim Urbina and George Waters are reawakening brilliant Emmet features that have been hibernating for many decades. Jim seems very happy to have remarkable 1943 and 1951 aerials of The Rockville Links that are his valued point of reference. The low profile green complexes are a sight to behold.  Rob, Joe, Brian  et al thanks so much for your interest and support. More at

www.devreuxemmetsociety.com
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:32:16 PM by mark chalfant »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 10:34:44 AM »
Great news.  That makes a nice bookend to his working at Paramount as well!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 12:31:31 PM »
Mark,

That historic aerial of Rockville is incredibly cool... the bunker shapes, patterns, placement are fascinating.

I'm also fascinated by St. George's. What an incredibly unique golf course design. Clearly, Dev Emmet's work is comparatively under-appreciated. My hat's off to you for spreading the word about this Golden Age great. 
jeffmingay.com

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 07:04:07 PM »
Mark,
In your DES write-up the you described the property as intimate, at only 94 acres. Does it feel crowded or do the low profile greens help to broaden it out? 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 08:11:38 PM »
Mark, thanks for writing about this course.  I had never heard of it prior.  My mom grew up in Mineola, and I still have my grandmother and aunt/uncles out there.  I will have to drive by in a few weeks when I am visting, to look over the fence. 

That one hole--appears to be a short par 4--on the northeastern edge of the property-with the fishhook appearance is wicked. 

Look forward to reading the article again, thanks for posting this. 
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

mark chalfant

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 04:44:40 PM »
Doug,

The hole you memtion is the 312 yard 16th. 15 is another stellar short par four with a semiblind approach over a gullly.

Jim  K.,

Overall the course breathes nicely.  Some 1980s bunkers truncate intended playing  angles and  a few mounds " frame too much" near the greens they will be given a sabbatical before long l  I believe some tee boxes will be lowered to blend more naturally with the fairways. im ceertain that RLC is "just like "Garden City Mens.  However it truly evokes the vintage antiquity of GCGC
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:43:40 PM by mark chalfant »

Brian Finn

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 09:21:33 PM »
Any updates on what has been going on at Rockville Links? I have not played it since ~2005. Eager to hear (and soon see) what Urbina & team have done.  Thanks.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 10:44:58 AM »
I tried to learn a bit more about this course so I looked at the clubs website. What a shocking website it is. No photos, no course details. Nothing. Useless. The website is a clubs window to the world, an advertising opportunity, a potential revenue generator. It shouldn't be up to places like GCA to highlight details. Clubs should take the opportunity themselves.
All the best.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 10:52:17 AM »
Thomas,

It actually has more information than a lot of US private clubs.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 10:59:37 AM »
Mark,
Aaaaaaagh!
ATB

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back