News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Re: Johns Island Club - West (Tom Fazio) - A Photo Tour - Hole 12 Posted
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 01:12:51 PM »
Hole 13: Par 3, 163 Yards

On a golf course that thus far had not used water in any meaningful way, this hole felt out-of-place and 'predictably Florida'.  Nonetheless, the hole is pretty, has a very interesting green (both in shape and contour) and provides a lovely view for those sitting on the back porch of the clubhouse, which is just behind the 13th tee.

Hole 14: Par 5, 530 Yards

You know whenever you see a sign at the tee box like the one below that you're in for an interesting hole!  :D

The back two sets of tees play from this angle, requiring a [short] carry over the water and a tee shot that must flirt with the bunkers on the right for the ideal angle for the second shot.  The remaining sets of tees play from an angle much farther to the left.

Tee shots near the bunkers on the right leave a much preferred angle of approach for a lay-up, though it is the longer way into the green.

Playing up the left leaves a shot that requires the golfer to play farther to the right or hit a draw around the trees to get into ideal position.

The approach is played to a green that is some 50 yards in width, but only about 20 yards deep and is separated by a huge spine down its centre. 

Green from right

Green from Left

Green from back-right

Hole 15: Par 4, 276 Yards

The 15th is short par-4, playing well under 300 yards.  An imposing waste area and very deep bunker guard the left.  A single tree guards the right side of the green.  Players who choose to lay-up need not worry about the tree as it is nearly green high.

Tee View:

Tee shots that are laid-up are left with an approach that is played uphill to a green surface that is completely blind from the fairway.  The bunker on the left looks scary from here as well!

Tee shots that are too far to the right must deal with this one very well-placed tree.  Run it up, hit it over, or through -- tough choice.

A steep bank short of the green means shots must be flown onto the green.

A fairway cut chipping area to the right of the green leaves a very difficult recovery.

The deep greenside bunker:

The green has a massive tier separating the front and back portions.  The picture flattens the ridge, but it is several feet high.  I found out the hard way that landing a wedge into the slope will have it spin off the front of the green, down the bank and several yards into the fairway (a la Kyle Stanley minus the water).

Green from behind:

The green also expands at the back over the deep bunkering.  I am very glad I didn't have a back-left pin.

Mark Saltzman

Re: Johns Island Club - West (Tom Fazio) - A Photo Tour - Hole 15 Posted
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 11:16:37 PM »
Hole 16: Par 3, 212 Yards

Another simple, downhill par-3.  Though the lengths of the par-3 holes vary significantly, it is difficult to say they are not repetitive.  The 16th is open in front and right and is guarded by waste area long.

Hole 17: Par 5, 472 Yards

One of the most unique holes I have EVER seen!  The bunkering begs the golfer to cut the corner.  It is 230 yards over the longest bunker.  Golfers required to play left will leave a long second shot and a no choice but to lay-up.

The second shot is AWESOME!  Choose your route -- the direct line to the green up the right, or the roundabout route to the left, around the large dune/sand/tree formation in the centre.  The view from 250 yards out in the centre of the fairway:

After an ideal tee shot, the golfer is left with a view that looks like this from 220 yards out.  Though the hole plays straight uphill and the approach requires an all-carry shot, it is difficult not to take-on this shot through the chute.

Golfers laying-up can choose to lay-up to the right and then play the shot over the waste area.  The lay-up area slopes sharply to the right helping poorly struck shots to run forward and toward the opening.

An ideal tee shot up the right will leave this view, from 125 yards short of the green.

Lay-ups played toward the dune island leave an impossible and blind approach:

A look at the landing area for golfers choosing to lay-up to the left:

And the view of the approach from this angle:

The green is similar in contour (though not as severe) and shape to Kingsley's 9th.  Low points in the back-left and front-right provide for pins that are ideally approached from different angles (just like the separate tees at Kingsley).

Green from Left:

Green from Right:

A look back to the left fairway:

And back to the right fairway:

A closer look at the dune island:

Oh, and a hidden back bunker will catch shots hit long:

One last look from behind:

Hole 18: Par 4, 381 Yards

Much more room right than appears from this tee view.  Longer hitters may choose to challenge/carry the bunkers up the left.

From the start of the fairway the width is more easily seen:

A rather intimidating approach to a green in a very pretty setting.  Only place to miss is short.  Right is (obviously) not good.

From just short of the green one gets a good look at the unique sand ridge running along the left side of the green.

And a few looks from behind this severely angled green:

Mark Saltzman

Re: Johns Island Club - West (Tom Fazio) - A Photo Tour - All 18 Posted
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 11:43:25 AM »
Bump. No discussion re #17??

Sean Leary

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 01:28:03 PM »
17 is super cool. Can't thnk of another hole like it.

What a great looking course..

Frank M

Re: Johns Island Club - West (Tom Fazio) - A Photo Tour - All 18 Posted New
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 01:52:36 PM »
17 is very interesting. I agree with the other posters, from pictures, I much prefer CC of Florida
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 08:58:53 PM by Frank M »

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 05:25:44 PM »

In all honesty, however, I don't know if it's just the pictures, but this course does not appeal to me.

This is a site devoted to frank [or is it Frank  ;D] discussion of golf course architecture.  I can understand the preference for CC of Florida.. it is an excellent golf course, one of the very best I've played in the state of Florida.

What about the pictures of the course makes it one that  does not appeal to you?

Frank M

Re: Johns Island Club - West (Tom Fazio) - A Photo Tour - All 18 Posted New
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 08:36:03 PM »
The course seems inconsistent whether it's the bunkering, feel, or scale of the individual holes.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 08:58:21 PM by Frank M »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back