News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith OHalloran

Re: Review of Hank Haney's "The Big Miss"
« Reply #300 on: March 30, 2012, 11:34:27 AM »
I have not heard it yet, but apparently Hank Haney did a rather contentious interview on WFAN in New York this morning. I am told that the host, Craig Carton, asked all the questions that have been thrown out on this thread. Haney ended the interview, after hanging in there for quite some time, by hanging up. I will keep my eye out for the downloadable version.

Edit, here is a link   http://newyork.cbslocal.com/audio/3-boomer-carton/3-30-hank-haney/
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:46:55 AM by Keith OHalloran »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #301 on: March 30, 2012, 11:49:18 AM »
I have not heard it yet, but apparently Hank Haney did a rather contentious interview on WFAN in New York this morning. I am told that the host, Craig Carton, asked all the questions that have been thrown out on this thread. Haney ended the interview, after hanging in there for quite some time, by hanging up. I will keep my eye out for the downloadable version.

Edit, here is a link   http://newyork.cbslocal.com/audio/3-boomer-carton/3-30-hank-haney/

And from the related article:

Carton seethed toward the end of the interview, “I think you’re a horrible human being.”

“You don’t know me!” Haney replied.

“I know enough. And here’s what I know about you,” said Carton. “Without him you don’t have a TV show. Without him, outside of die-hard golf fans, no one knows who you are.”

Haney exited around 21 minutes into the exchange. An audible “click” was heard while Carton went on:

“Here’s the reality of Hank Haney: Hank Haney’s gonna get to know you. Like a snake in the grass, if he can make money off you one day in the future, he’s gonna do it. And I can’t stand guys like you!

“It’s hard enough for a guy like Tiger Woods — I have to imagine — to let someone come into his world and to have complete, utter trust in that man, which you have to do to become better and use a coach. And then for that guy to turn around and tell the most, you know, family secrets that have nothing to do with golf, and put that crap off as a golf book, is obnoxious!”

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/30/boomer-carton-interview-with-hank-haney-author-of-tiger-book-gets-heated/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #302 on: March 30, 2012, 11:51:44 AM »
In fact, it made me question why people here are getting worked up about it. 

We love to argue over trivial matters. It's a lot easier than figuring out the tough stuff!

David, while that is a clever metaphor, I would argue it is flawed. One needs to play a course to comment on its merits, but one needn't read a book to discuss the appropriateness of writing it, or its credibility.

I know many seem to find it odd that I comment on the book's credibility without reading it, but my point remains the same: if no one other than the interested parties was there to witness any of the events, and one side chooses not to comment, how can anyone reliably judge the credibility? Because Haney seems believable? There are a frighteningly large number of people in the world that can look you in the eye and lie, or at least embellish or mislead, everyone surely knows this (there's several hundred of them in DC...).

Some might ask: Why wouldn't Tiger refute stories he didn't like? I'd guess that there is no upside in him to doing this; the detractors aren't going to believe him (he's a cheater!) and they are the ones he would be addressing. It's easier for him to just hope it dies away. Likewise, today's media culture seems to be that if you address something, that opens everything up for cross examination; the questions would never stop. Again, it's easier to just hope it dies away.

Hank opened himself up to all of this when he chose to include personal items. As Hawkeye said to Frank Burns, you invite abuse, it would be rude not to accept it. :)

George it feels like you're missing the point of almost any type of writing.

I don't know that one needs to read Haney's book and think, "This is how it all happened." The appropriate thought is, "This is Haney's impression of what happened."

That's really true for all writing, even here. If you comment on a golf course it may not necessarily be the absolute truth. It's your impression of what you saw.

We all understand that on this site, but it's no different really just because something gets printed and bound and sold at Amazon. com.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #303 on: March 30, 2012, 12:11:31 PM »
Craig Carton's known for his rational analysis and never over-reacting.   ;D

Just listened to the interview, and Carton had zero interest in hearing Haney's explanations or even considering another point of view.  Calling it an interview is a misnomer.  There were very few questions - just accusations towards validating Carton's opinion.  Any explanations by Haney were interrupted with an increasingly accusatory tone.  

I'd put much more faith in the analysis performed by someone like Shackelford or Klein as to whether the book was overly-salacious.  From many reviews I've seen, most people were surprised to discover that it wasn't as gossipy as they imagined (based on the publisher's "leaked" advance material), and that it truly was more of an insight into his mindset and what it takes to achieve at that level.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #304 on: March 30, 2012, 12:25:17 PM »
And that's not something you do from the vantage point of a parking lot dismissal of the whole book. The analogy with drive-by golf course reviews is perfect. Lots of folks dismiss a golf course or are biased because of the name attached to the design. That's their lose of an experience by which they might learn something. (Interesting, how often the attack on Haney and the dismissal of the book are coupled with the claim that there appears to be nothing new in the book about Tiger that they didn't already know.) 

I think you're misinterpreting the reason some (including me) are critical of the book. It has nothing to do with the style of the writing or whether the book contains interesting insights. This is where the analogy of golf course reviews misses the boat as well.

If I thought that a certain golf course shouldn't be built in a particular ocean-front location because I am a hardcore environmentalist, it wouldn't matter to me if what resulted was widely praised as the greatest course in the world. The quality of the end product is irrelevant. It makes no difference if I have ever played or even seen the course to judge it. I need no first-hand experience to know that the course exists; it exists in a location that I think shouldn't be used for a course; and therefore I am perfectly "qualified" to say that I take issue with its construction.

In the same way, if I think HH is betraying an implied trust by spilling confidences in a book, it is irrelevant if those who have read the book believe it is the greatest golf book ever written. It also makes no difference whether or not I've read it, since my opinion in that case would be based on something other than the quality of the writing.

Richard Choi

« Reply #305 on: March 30, 2012, 12:33:06 PM »
I really have no sympathy for Hank.

He could have writtent the same book, just covering what it took to coach a person like Tiger and all the trials and tribulations without the personal stuff and I think most people would not have any problems with it. And from what I can gather 99% of the book is about that.

But he chose to add that 1% salacious bit (which doesn't seem to add much to the book based on opinions of those who read it) to promote the book with it (the excerpts on magazines were about that, which I have read).

That is what bothers people like me. You are breaking bond and trust between teacher/student just to make a few more bucks, which you probably didn't even need since Tiger is doing the promotion for you on the field. I just find that sad and pathetic, and I am not willing to make him richer for doing so.

Joe Stansell

« Reply #306 on: March 30, 2012, 01:05:45 PM »
It would be an interesting science experiment to see if people's view on the appropriateness of Hank Haney's book correlates adversely with their view of Tiger.

I have a feeling that I'm an anomaly in that I'm a bit of a Tiger fan (in the sense that I root for him whenever he plays -- not because he's a great person, but because he's an amazing golfer) and yet I'm not bothered much by some kind of breach of etiquette on Mr. Haney's part. Indeed, I'm far more persuaded by the reviews of his book, and those reviews appear to be generally laudatory.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #307 on: March 30, 2012, 02:07:40 PM »
Richard,

Do you believe that without that 1% that this book ever gets published?  I don't.  Why do you think the publisher 'leaked'  those bits out?

George Pazin

« Reply #308 on: March 30, 2012, 02:18:08 PM »
Excellent post Dan C.

Matthew P, in response to your broad statement I will simply say there is a difference between writing and gossiping/smearing. As I said to Sean, I know that my view of Haney causes an overreaction on my part. That still doesn't make him true or accurate or less of a scumbag for "writing" the crap.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #309 on: March 30, 2012, 02:20:54 PM »
Excellent post Dan C.

Matthew P, in response to your broad statement I will simply say there is a difference between writing and gossiping/smearing. As I said to Sean, I know that my view of Haney causes an overreaction on my part. That still doesn't make him true or accurate or less of a scumbag for "writing" the crap.

He might be a scumbag, but he's reporting on something he has personal knowledge of. Hard to smear someone for "not telling the truth" about events they are relating their version of when they personally lived and witnessed them.

Richard Choi

« Reply #310 on: March 30, 2012, 03:07:04 PM »
Richard,

Do you believe that without that 1% that this book ever gets published?  I don't.  Why do you think the publisher 'leaked'  those bits out?

Most definitely. Just go to Amazon.com and type "Tiger Woods". There are 1143 titles. Haney could have published any book about Tiger.

The better question is, would he have received as much advancement on this book without that 1%? No. But that is what we are talking about, aren't we? How much are we willing to sell our soul for?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:09:14 PM by Richard Choi »

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #311 on: March 30, 2012, 03:48:27 PM »
"The better question is, would he have received as much advancement on this book without that 1%? No. But that is what we are talking about, aren't we? How much are we willing to sell our soul for?"

Do you watch much tv?  People are willing to do anything for very little.. hell even Clint Eastwood and family are going to do a reality tv show.

Is there anything in the book that is worse that what Woods did to himself?  Or is it just a betrayal thing? Honor among gentlemen? 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:54:33 PM by Craig Edgmand »

George Pazin

« Reply #312 on: March 30, 2012, 04:17:14 PM »
Excellent post Dan C.

He might be a scumbag, but he's reporting on something he has personal knowledge of. Hard to smear someone for "not telling the truth" about events they are relating their version of when they personally lived and witnessed them.

I congratulate you on your lack of cynicism. It's not hard for most to at least question the "reporting" of someone, let alone someone he considers a scumbag.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Richard Choi

« Reply #313 on: March 30, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »
Do you watch much tv?  People are willing to do anything for very little.. hell even Clint Eastwood and family are going to do a reality tv show.

Is there anything in the book that is worse that what Woods did to himself?  Or is it just a betrayal thing? Honor among gentlemen?  

Precisely why I do not watch Jersey Shore or Housewives... shows.

If I stop watching athletes because they cheat on their wives, there would be no sports for me to watch except for WNBA (a study suggests 80% to 90% of pro athletes cheat).

If Tiger Woods came on a show to talk about all the girls he cheated with, I wouldn't watch that show either. What Tiger Woods does in his own time is none of my business and I don't need to know about it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:48:48 PM by Richard Choi »

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #314 on: March 30, 2012, 05:04:21 PM »
"What Tiger Woods does in his own time is none of my business and I don't need to know about it."

Exactly, so why should you even care about this book? Its not aimed at you. Or me for that matter.

At the end of the day, there are more important things to worry about, like is Augusta going to allow the new IBM CEO to join?   ;)

Richard Choi

« Reply #315 on: March 31, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »
If Tiger ran a country, and what he did will reverberate throughout American history, I would agree with you. More you know about what motivated that person and what kind of personal adversity/shortcommings he had to go through would be something valuable to know.

In the end, Tiger goes around a park hitting a white rock. Yes, he does that better than anybody who has ever lived on this earth. But he is still just hitting a rock around a park. It is not worth exposing deeply personal info to talk about how well he hits that rock around the park.

This is not Watergate. There is no reason for Deep Throat.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:13:15 AM by Richard Choi »

Jud_T

« Reply #316 on: March 31, 2012, 06:30:57 AM »
Heretofore he shall be referred to as Wank Haney.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Richard Choi

« Reply #317 on: March 31, 2012, 11:11:34 AM »
I wouldn't count someone not buying a book as a big deal.

George Pazin

« Reply #318 on: March 31, 2012, 11:15:57 AM »
I still don’t understand the narrative of how Haney has somehow betrayed Eldrick by writing this book. For instance, if David Axelrod wrote a book about the Team Obama and the President’s improbable rise to his position, and in that book he wrote of some personal issues with Obama, I would probably line up to buy that book. And if Karl Rove wrote a similar book about President Bush, and included some personal stuff about the President, I probably would not buy the book because I simply can’t stand and do not respect Karl Rove. However, I sure as hell would not criticize Mr. Rove’s right to write on such a subject. It would, I assume, offer up an honest, 1st hand account of Bush’s rise to the Presidency and I’m sure some would find the material fascinating, and it may very well be; I simply would not want to contribute one red cent to Rove’s financial well-being, but I would NEVER criticize the man for sharing and writing about his dance with history.

Well, I guess that crystallizes where we differ on this book and books like this book. I would not respect or support any person who wrote a book and like this or the ones you describe, specifically with respect to small personal details. Certain things should remain private, especially among friends. There is a certain amount of implied trust. For those who claim Tiger didn't hold up his end, I cite the veru fact that he didn't have Wank sign a non disclosure agreement; he trusted Wank. It's a sad world when every celeb needs a NDA from anyone they meet.

And I would be equally skeptical of Axelrod, Rove, whoever. You simply don't stab people in the back and maintain my respect.

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #319 on: March 31, 2012, 10:09:59 PM »
George,

If I read you right, you don't have a great deal of respect fot Mr Haney.javascript:void(0);  It would seem that he won't be getting a lot of future PGA pro's to teach either.  I think that is probably the most telling truth about what it cost him to write the book, no matter whether it is good bad or indifferent. The support that I give for this statement is the quotes of Els, Howell and Mahan for starters saying that Haney essentially crossed the line.  (not that I was ever a fan of Haney, much more a Butch guy for the swing, but whatever)

Greg Tallman

« Reply #320 on: March 31, 2012, 10:53:09 PM »
In his Piers Morgan interview am I the only one who thought he came off like a whiney, defensive adolescent?

David_Tepper

« Reply #321 on: April 01, 2012, 09:57:42 AM »

Pat Burke

« Reply #322 on: April 01, 2012, 01:17:36 PM »
Hank has said he is comfortable with his decision to write this book.
Many players have commented they are not fans to varying degrees of a coach doing this.
I worked with Dr David Wright and David LEadbetter during my playing days.
They are not only teachers that I highly respect and learned from, but were great people.
Many coaches in some way are able to "cash in" on their work with high profile students.
Hank has said he decided on writing a book some time ago.  In my opinion, I just think
it is in poor taste.
Personally, I struggled with anxiety and panic disorder when I played on tour.  Air travel was difficult,
being by myself in hotel rooms created anxiety that left me with many sleepless nights.
If a confidant of mine put that in a book like this I would be furious.  Tiger is over-the-top concerned
with privacy, and to have a team member do this has to be infuriating.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #323 on: April 01, 2012, 01:34:10 PM »
     Before reading the book, I thought Brad's observation sounded right.  I've now read the first half.  Couldn't be more bored.  A great golf book?  Hardly.  A telling expose on Tiger?  Not even close.  Mostly a bunch of uninteresting observations on various swing changes - somewhat technical and certainly of no use to me.  Are the throw away observations about Tiger's dickishness entertaining?  They are to me because I don't like the guy.  But there's nothing much that you don't already know on that count.  All in all, I'm afraid I wasted 13 bucks.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #324 on: April 02, 2012, 01:50:02 AM »
Skimming this over the past week or so, I perceive a common belief that Mr Haney has committed professional suicide as a teacher.

In  the modern world where celebrity counts for more than accomplishment,  I predict his stock as a teacher  has just gone up.

Similarly Mr Diaz can look forward to more high profile ghosting.

Deliberate?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back