News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Re: Review of Hank Haney's "The Big Miss"
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2012, 09:08:57 PM »
Jud,

I would put it differently because I don't think that's the real issue at all. I agree that writing a book like this will have serious, probably crippling consequences for Haney's chosen profession. He knew that going in and he'll live with that. That's his problem, or his choice. I can't make that call for him.

The point of a book review is to show what the book itself coveys about the golf scene and about its main subject. Tiger is the main subject but of course Haney becomes the secondary subject. I chose to focus on Tiger in my little 500-word review, and I think that no amount of criticism of Haney's motives, however motivated and justified, can should lead one away from the devastating portrait it paints. Of course the idea, as someone else said, that such a book reviews itself -- is literally meaningless. But getting back to your point, Haney must have known that writing this book would be the end of his teaching career. All the more courage it took, I think, to write it. I don't think that's cowardice at all. I think that's pretty gutsy.

Jud_T

« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2012, 09:20:56 PM »
So how does that leave my buddy's kid who's dropping a couple grand a week at the Academy this summer? Not worth quite as much on his golfing resume as it was a month ago I guess...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JESII

« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2012, 09:25:03 PM »
Brad,

Do you think Haney wrote this for someone else's benefit?

I'm really having a hard time finding the courage in this that you see...

Jud_T

« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2012, 09:38:25 PM »
David,

I realize that of course.  All I'm saying is he paid ten grand for something thats probably worth less now. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

jeffwarne

« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2012, 09:43:44 PM »
As usual, the wily lawyer, Shel, makes perfect sense. Though I must say I was not aware that the esteemed profession of golf swing coach had professional ethics. For Rick Smith to invoke them the way he does is a bit high-handed and pretentious. Unless I'm missing it, there's no such code of ethics embedded in some professional association (ASGSG) other than informal practice.

All professionals in any field have ethics Brad.
You don't need a written code to know right from wrong.
What makes you think golf professionals would be different?

Whether they follow them or not is their choice.
Just because it's legal and he had the right to, ultimately Haney had to decide if it was ethical.
Smith is simply calling them like he sees them.

Does it take courage to starfuck for 6 years then reveal all to the world because you were embarrassed to ask for a popsicle or don't like going for takeout?

Courage? Really? For God's sake, he was afraid to ask for a popsicle.
Whatever happened to self respect?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:49:14 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

George Pazin

« Reply #155 on: March 23, 2012, 09:48:41 PM »
Jud,

I would put it differently because I don't think that's the real issue at all. I agree that writing a book like this will have serious, probably crippling consequences for Haney's chosen profession. He knew that going in and he'll live with that. That's his problem, or his choice. I can't make that call for him.

The point of a book review is to show what the book itself coveys about the golf scene and about its main subject. Tiger is the main subject but of course Haney becomes the secondary subject. I chose to focus on Tiger in my little 500-word review, and I think that no amount of criticism of Haney's motives, however motivated and justified, can should lead one away from the devastating portrait it paints. Of course the idea, as someone else said, that such a book reviews itself -- is literally meaningless. But getting back to your point, Haney must have known that writing this book would be the end of his teaching career. All the more courage it took, I think, to write it. I don't think that's cowardice at all. I think that's pretty gutsy.

The problem I see is that you seem to accept what Haney says as factual. Imho, it is hugely influenced by his own biases. You seem to accept that he is 1) honest and 2) accurate in what he says. Even assuming he is honest (which is hardly a given), that doesn't mean he is accurate. And Tiger has a to either set the record straight - which he may not want to do as it opens more issues up to the media - or let Haney's words stand and hope it goes away. That's a big part of why I personally hate these types of books. They are inherently unfair to the subject.

EDIT: quoted the wrong poster, sorry Jud.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:14:03 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »
    I'm with Brad.  Tiger is a jerk and an arrogant bully.  (I'd use other words, but assume this site wouldn't approve.)  The more people that know it, the better.  Shooting the messenger is the typical tactic here.  But it doesn't change the underlying fact.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2012, 01:25:14 AM »
    I'm with Brad.  Tiger is a jerk and an arrogant bully.  (I'd use other words, but assume this site wouldn't approve.)  The more people that know it, the better.  Shooting the messenger is the typical tactic here.  But it doesn't change the underlying fact.

JIM,

I concur with what you say and agree that Brad has every right to print his feelings on the matter. One needs to get away from the Nike and Steinberg presentation of Tiger Woods. He is, quite possibly, the finest golfer we have ever seen yet is a narcissus withpout parallel.

Bob

Scott Warren

« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2012, 06:13:26 AM »
It amazes me, but doesn't surprise me at all, that people are prepared to adopt such certain, assured positions - and defend them so passionately - regarding a book they haven't read about a topic of which they have no first-hand knowledge.

Martin Toal

« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2012, 06:33:35 AM »
It amazes me, but doesn't surprise me at all, that people are prepared to adopt such certain, assured positions - and defend them so passionately - regarding a book they haven't read about a topic of which they have no first-hand knowledge.

Scott

It is perfectly possible to identify personality traits from reported actions or what is seen on TV, and it is equally possible to observe when one is being fed a marketing plan by Nike etc. I think it is very difficult to argue that he has not displayed many of the hallmarks of narcissism.

I have no first hand knowledge that Tiger hits the ball really long or flights his irons beautifully, but I am also prepared to accept those as true based on both TV coverage and reports from reliable sources.

The real underlying question is whether you are one of the camp which believes that because Nike etc have fed a marketing spin (his diversity, his Dad, Hello World etc) that framed a public person, perhaps shown to be fake, then we are entitled to comment a=on aspects of his public life in a way that we do not about players whose personal life has not be similarly used. I believe they are two sides of the same coin, (or as we sometimes used to say in Ireland, two cheeks of the same a***).

Brent Hutto

« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2012, 06:35:35 AM »
Scott,

Some things you just know what you're getting without, err, getting it. If you see a "Gentleman's Club" with flashing neon sign in the outline of a dancing naked woman, you don't have to go inside to say "No, I'm not interested in visiting a strip club". Any book by an estranged former confidant and employee purporting to reveal the Real Inside Story of Tiger Woods is the publishing equivalent of a titty club with a big neon naked-lady sign don't you think?

Adam Makepeace

« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2012, 06:51:06 AM »
I will be buying it, reading it, and enjoy learning a little more about the worlds most recognizable sportsman.

Whether Haney should have written the book, or whether Tiger Is pissed that it has been written is none of my concern.

I certainly won't be protesting its publication by not reading it. The book has been written already, what will protesting it achieve?

Scott Warren

« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2012, 06:53:31 AM »
Martin,

The point is, how can you judge whether Haney was right or wrong to write the book, or how much class he has displayed in doing so, without reading it?

It seems Brad is the only one among those judging the protagonists who isn't submitting a, to use gca.com parlance, "car park review".

Brent,

That's exactly what you might expect, but for the vitriol some contributors are heaping on Haney, the least they could do is read the book first.

jeffwarne

« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2012, 08:16:06 AM »
Martin,

The point is, how can you judge whether Haney was right or wrong to write the book, or how much class he has displayed in doing so, without reading it?

It seems Brad is the only one among those judging the protagonists who isn't submitting a, to use gca.com parlance, "car park review".

Brent,

That's exactly what you might expect, but for the vitriol some contributors are heaping on Haney, the least they could do is read the book first.

OK you got us.
So if read excerpts in Golf Digest or quotes and reviews from Brad Klein, I can't comment on the excerpts?
Have you read the excerpts?
What possibly could be written in the book that would negate the effect of what we've already read?(that he was just kidding? that he has multiple personalities?)
I've heard from people that have read the entire book that most of it was mostly positive of Tiger and that hasn't changed their mind about Haney's douchiness.
Brad's done nothing wrong in reviewing it, Haney just revealed to the world what many of us already suspected.
He has a right to do that, he's just gotta live with the consequences.
Even Brad says it's the end of his teaching career.(Brad did read it all)
However,
I will gladly edit this post (or add to the vitriol ;) ) after reading it in a couple weeks.

The book does nothing to Tiger-that ship already sailed.
This would have been a fascinating book if written PRE car crash (not ethical if Haney had penned it,but fascinating)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:24:50 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brad Klein

« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2012, 08:25:36 AM »
Jeff,

Great point about pre-car crash. The popsicle incident is terribly revealing because if those closest to Tiger were wary about asking for the most ridiculous little things that might take him out his routine, how paralyzed and fearful do you think people were about raising larger issues that really counted and that would really have gone to the core of who and what Tiger was.

Scott Warren

« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2012, 08:42:18 AM »
Jeff,

Sure, I've seen excerpts, but I also know book excerpts are rarely indicative of the book as a whole.

Maybe it's because I've had to put up too often with people panning me on the strength of a headline or lead when they haven't bothered to read the entire article, but that kind of "car park" literary review is ridiculous. If you're going to slam the author, at least do him the service of reading the thing you're ripping apart.

The book may well do plenty to damn Haney as all the things he is being called, but those sounding off on the strength of reading a few excerpts are kidding themselves.

That said, those who take exception to a book being penned by Haney about his time coaching Tiger -- regardless of its contents -- probably know all they need to know.

Niall C

« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »
Why would Haney's teaching career be at an end because of this book ? Help me out on that one. Is it because the average Joe Bloggs with money, who wants to get taught by Tiger's former coach will be worried that their personal lives will appear in a sequel ? Or is it because the book shows he's a crap coach ?

I tend to think Hank Haney will continue to make plenty money teaching until such times as he earns more money doing something else.

Niall

Terry Lavin

« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »
Brad,

So it took COURAGE for Haney to write this book?  I have stayed away from this thread because I haven't read the book yet, but that is one of the silliest things I've ever read. It doesn't take courage to "out" the one guy who "made" your career. It takes a lack of character.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2012, 10:41:49 AM »
Yup. Unlike you, Judge, I did wade into the thread despite not having read the book, and tried to work out my thoughts on paper while I was typing (which is what I always do on here, as it is the only way I know to 'think').  But now the thoughts have come together: T is an a--hole, and H is also an a--hole; why the hell would I want to fill my brain reading about the break-up of a marriage of two a--holes?  

I think maybe there was a little 'inside baseball' in Brad's review -- a journalist pleased to see that someone finally put on paper what two decades' worth of journalistic output had failed to do.

Peter  

Carl Johnson

« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »
Brent,

Some of my favorite reading over the years have been biographies, even some autos, a lot ghost written. It is quite amazing and amusing to say that the naughty bits were generally the most interesting.

Bob

Exactly, everyone goes straight to the nasty stuff. And we all knew the moment this book was announced that there would be naughty bits aplenty.

We like dirt. And we like dissing the folks who give us the dirt. It's a win-win situation!

Right on.  Tiger has described himself as a jock.  The pro golf culture, Haney included, is a jock culture.  These guys aren't college professors or physicians (not that on occasion one or two of them doesn't have an issue, either).  Pro golf is in the entertainment business, plain and simple.  It's not what we mortals play.  We've always liked to read the Hollywood gossip columnists.  Same deal here.  Ethics, schmethics.  This sort of stuff is good for the PGA Tour.  Haney should be commended for reving the blender a bit.  Maybe he can get a gig on Dancing With the Stars now.  I have no idea whether I'll ever read the book -- I've no interest in running out and buying it today because the juice I get on this site is good enough for now.

George Pazin

« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2012, 11:21:43 AM »
 Haney should be commended for reving the blender a bit.  Maybe he can get a gig on Dancing With the Stars now.

:) Good stuff.

I'm rarely a fan of any insider tell-all type of books, for the reason I mentioned before. I think they are inherently unfair to the subject, as it places him in a position where he either has to try to refute/explain/whatever stuff he may not want to discuss or let it sit out there unchallenged, where people seem ready to accept it as true and accurate, regardless of whether or not it is.

I guess I'm a skeptical cynic, or maybe a cynical skeptic. I don't think it's necessary to read the book to be one, either. I have far better ways to spend my time and money.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

jeffwarne

« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2012, 11:51:56 AM »
I have not read the book. But I did read in a review that Tiger's driving was a significant part of the focus where the technical side of things in the book was concerned. How ironic would it be if Tiger won at Bay Hill, driving it on a string the day before the book was officially released. At that point I would actually start to feel sorry for Hank - because whatever conclusions one may draw about his character, the objective evidence of his professional shortcomings would be even more stark. I wonder if he's regretting writing it...

Notwithstanding the above, I will repeat that I can't wait to read it and am glad it was written.

If Tiger starts driving it on a string, he'll at least regret the title. ;)

As a teacher, I'm just embarrassed for Haney, that's all.
6 + years of being a cabana boy and now you speak up about it? (the cabana "person" ;)  in the Tiger/Butch relationship wasn't Butch)

reading the excerpts does confirm exactly what I was thinking when observing watching Haney follow Tiger's every move at Augusta and various events.
Why would you let yourself be treated poorly unless you needed the relationship more than  the player.(and if you did need it, either accept it happily or terminate the relationship)
I've played gopher boy for many of my mentors and considered it a priviledge, not a slight.
I've traveled with and witnessed things and events and been privy to conversations with well known people and celebrities that might curl your hair and would certainly shock and entertain you.
I run for takeout quite frequently for coworkers who are accomplishing more than I am, particularly for our superintendant on a current renovation project when his timely direction may be far more useful with the shaper and/or crew than mine.
But it's not seething inside waiting for a breakup so I can write a book about it. ::) ::) ::) :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:59:55 AM by jeffwarne »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2012, 11:54:26 AM »
Peter,

I'm sure there are journalists who may feel liberated to unload on Tiger, now that they have another source to rely upon. Tiger made his share of friends in the supplicant media on the way up and he will continue to gain detractors if he continues on his descent.  I'm not going to try to put my friend Brad in either camp.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Craig Sweet

« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2012, 01:44:05 PM »
I don't understand why some people are so interested in what Tiger is like off the golf course.  It doesn't serve anyone other than your own self to have your opinion of him confirmed one way or the other. Haney wrote a lovely little bit of gossip for the Tiger haters, and now they all feel vindicated for hating Tiger.  "You see, I told you he was scum"

Haney isn't stupid...he knows there's a market for gossip about Tiger...he knows there are haters out there that need to have their feelings supported....if Haney had any class he would have waited until Tiger was dead, or at the very least retired...but apparently he needed the money now.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tim Martin

« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2012, 03:41:13 PM »
I have not read the book. But I did read in a review that Tiger's driving was a significant part of the focus where the technical side of things in the book was concerned. How ironic would it be if Tiger won at Bay Hill, driving it on a string the day before the book was officially released. At that point I would actually start to feel sorry for Hank - because whatever conclusions one may draw about his character, the objective evidence of his professional shortcomings would be even more stark. I wonder if he's regretting writing it...

Notwithstanding the above, I will repeat that I can't wait to read it and am glad it was written.

If Tiger starts driving it on a string, he'll at least regret the title. ;)

As a teacher, I'm just embarrassed for Haney, that's all.
6 + years of being a cabana boy and now you speak up about it? (the cabana "person" ;)  in the Tiger/Butch relationship wasn't Butch)

reading the excerpts does confirm exactly what I was thinking when observing watching Haney follow Tiger's every move at Augusta and various events.
Why would you let yourself be treated poorly unless you needed the relationship more than  the player.(and if you did need it, either accept it happily or terminate the relationship)
I've played gopher boy for many of my mentors and considered it a priviledge, not a slight.
I've traveled with and witnessed things and events and been privy to conversations with well known people and celebrities that might curl your hair and would certainly shock and entertain you.
I run for takeout quite frequently for coworkers who are accomplishing more than I am, particularly for our superintendant on a current renovation project when his timely direction may be far more useful with the shaper and/or crew than mine.
But it's not seething inside waiting for a breakup so I can write a book about it. ::) ::) ::) :-[ :-[

Jeff-One of the better posts I have read on this site. If you can`t glean some insight from this as to what many people in the golf business think about Hank`s decision to pen this book then you should read it again.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back