News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Re: Review of Hank Haney's "The Big Miss"
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2012, 02:39:12 PM »
Jaime wants to sell books like any author..that he chose this is a little off colour for him, but he knows it will sell.
I agree that having disdain for what Haney represents by doing this book, does not mean an approval for Mr Woods...I think they are both egotistical maniacs who are so eaten up with their own lives and inportance in the world that they dont care what any of us on here say...and for that I say good for you...but I will still have my opinion.

George Pazin

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2012, 02:40:51 PM »
It was a photo released by his agent after the birth of son Charlie, roughly 10 months before the car crash. We now know he was simultaneously jugging several (perhaps dozens) of sleazy women.

That was clearly selling a false image of Tiger the devoted family man and generally good guy.  As has been proven, a big chunk of his endorsement empire depended on that image.  If it didn't, he wouldn't have lost all those sponsors.

K

Yep, that one photo released by his agent in 2009 is definitely what his endorsement money is based on; I even recall Forbes doing a cover article about how his endorsements spiked from pennies to hundreds of millions...

Nice post, jeffw.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Howard Riefs

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2012, 05:44:55 PM »
Buy it on Kindle. The shame factor has to be less than actually owning a copy.

Somehow, you never know what people are reading on their Kindle.  It could be the Tiger book ... or a romance novel:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304450004577279622389208292.html

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Richard Choi

« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2012, 05:53:56 PM »
I follow Tiger because he is a great golfer, not because he is a great human being. Michael Jordan was (still is) a big a-hole. Still the greatest basketball player I ever saw, though.

I don't watch Real Housewives of (pick your city) or Kardashians. I am not going to read this book either...

Carl Nichols

« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2012, 07:01:10 PM »
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Greg Tallman

!Q
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2012, 07:04:31 PM »
I follow Tiger because he is a great golfer, not because he is a great human being. Michael Jordan was (still is) a big a-hole. Still the greatest basketball player I ever saw, though.

I don't watch Real Housewives of (pick your city) or Kardashians. I am not going to read this book either...

You are missing out on many of life's finer pleasures! How one can not be riveted by Kim Kardashian getting an x-ray of her backside to prove it is real is beyond me.

Sorry, was on in the gym yesterday and the remote was out of reach.  ;)

Tim Martin

Re: !Q
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2012, 07:14:25 PM »

You are missing out on many of life's finer pleasures! How one can not be riveted by Kim Kardashian getting an x-ray of her backside to prove it is real is beyond me.

Sorry, was on in the gym yesterday and the remote was out of reach.  ;)

Well played sir! ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2012, 07:39:36 PM »
I'm puzzled at how many posts are telling people what they should and shouldn't read.  Seriously, does anyone care what I do with my spare time?  (I would tell you that you shouldn't, but I guess that means I'd be no different.)

John,

Do you believe that our current gossip/train wreck culture is good for our future?  I get lazy evenings in front of a television or sneaking a peek in the check out line, but really, a book???  Books should be better than this.

PEOPLE should be better than this. One ego maniacal jerk GOSSIPING about another ego maniacal jerk will end up being a best seller. Welcome to America.

Greg, the good news is it's still a free country.   Nobody can make you buy and read this book.

mike_beene

« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2012, 07:44:03 PM »
Bill, not yet.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2012, 07:44:06 PM »
I'm puzzled at how many posts are telling people what they should and shouldn't read.  Seriously, does anyone care what I do with my spare time?  (I would tell you that you shouldn't, but I guess that means I'd be no different.)

John,

Do you believe that our current gossip/train wreck culture is good for our future?  I get lazy evenings in front of a television or sneaking a peek in the check out line, but really, a book???  Books should be better than this

PEOPLE should be better than this. One ego maniacal jerk GOSSIPING about another ego maniacal jerk will end up being a best seller. Welcome to America.

Greg, the good news is it's still a free country.   Nobody can make you buy and read this book.

I live in Mexico which is a quasi free country. Ironically the marketing cry of the thousands of vendors... "almost free"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »

John,

Do you believe that our current gossip/train wreck culture is good for our future?  I get lazy evenings in front of a television or sneaking a peek in the check out line, but really, a book???  Books should be better than this

I live in Mexico which is a quasi free country. Ironically the marketing cry of the thousands of vendors... "almost free"

Oh yeah, forgot!   ;D   But you know what I meant.   It's an inalienable right to avoid crap literature!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2012, 08:01:02 PM »
Just a hunch, but its quite possible that Tiger was/is a loving father, and husband, and was a good family man that simply couldn't help dipping his wicker bill in a bunch of women. I was never around Tiger when he was with Elin and the kids, so I don't know.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

PThomas

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »
Just a hunch, but its quite possible that Tiger was/is a loving father, and husband, and was a good family man that simply couldn't help dipping his wicker bill in a bunch of women. I was never around Tiger when he was with Elin and the kids, so I don't know.

Umm, how can you be loving husband and good father (the latter includes setting a good example for your kids) when you are out screwing just about anything with two legs ?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Ken Moum

« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2012, 09:05:57 PM »
Yep, that one photo released by his agent in 2009 is definitely what his endorsement money is based on; I even recall Forbes doing a cover article about how his endorsements spiked from pennies to hundreds of millions...

George, i know your logic skills are better than that.

Tiger was a popular and highly paid endorser due to the confluence of two things--his amazing golf and his undeniably appealing persona.

Everything his PR team did was aimed at protecting an image that was a sham.

Those pictures are only part of that effort, but in my mind they are the most disgusting.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

John_Conley

« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2012, 11:44:09 PM »
John, Are you the same guy that used to dominate the mini tours in central florida back in the mid 90's?

John Connelly from Toledo?  No, not the same.  But I did make a point to introduce myself once.

John_Conley

« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2012, 11:55:14 PM »
John,

Do you believe that our current gossip/train wreck culture is good for our future?  I get lazy evenings in front of a television or sneaking a peek in the check out line, but really, a book???  Books should be better than this.

I think the present is always a prerequisite for the future.

Books should be better than this?  Define better.

"Have a Nice Day" - Mick Foley
"How to _____: a Cautionary Tale" - Jenna Jameson
"Life is Not a Reality Show" - Kyle Richards
"Play Poker Like the Pros" - Phil Hellmuth
"Going Rogue: An American Life" - Sarah Palin
"Growing Up Brady" - Barry Williams
"A View From Above" - Wilt Chamberlain
"Betrayal: A Novel" - Danielle Steel

I wish you well on your crusade to further the state of American literature.

David_Elvins

« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2012, 12:16:03 AM »

Didn't he miss the birth of his child by about 2 days? 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

JR Potts

« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2012, 08:38:13 AM »
I have already unabashedly pre-ordered this book.  I can't wait to read it.

The most likely the impetus to this book, is that Tiger Woods' "friends" went to bat for him and supported him - and when he came back from his stays in Missouri for his alleged sex rehab and prescriptions pain killer addiction - he dropped them like everyone else who was close to him and flipped the bird to his loyalists in numerous different ways.

Tiger is a prick and a child....and I'm sure his former friends have no problem telling the world that....in fact, I bet they are enjoying it.

George Pazin

« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2012, 09:36:41 AM »

George, i know your logic skills are better than that.

Tiger was a popular and highly paid endorser due to the confluence of two things--his amazing golf and his undeniably appealing persona.

Everything his PR team did was aimed at protecting an image that was a sham.

Those pictures are only part of that effort, but in my mind they are the most disgusting.

K

He had mega endorsements before he even met Elin. Whatever appeal his persona had, it was due to a lot of things, but the primary impetus for everything was his success in golf. His management team was simply doing their job - do you think everyone who endorses anything has a spotless life and is revealing everything to the world at large? Or even should?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jud_T

« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2012, 09:54:12 AM »
He cheated on his wife, like roughly half of all husbands, and she walked away with 100MM.  If you put up a kiosk in Times Square and offered this deal to all Americans, the line would stretch past the Mississippi.  Get over it.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JR Potts

« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2012, 10:14:08 AM »
He cheated on his wife, like roughly half of all husbands, and she walked away with 100MM.  If you put up a kiosk in Times Square and offered this deal to all Americans, the line would stretch past the Mississippi.  Get over it.

He did a whole lot more than that.  But yes, I would take the deal.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2012, 10:17:43 AM »
Next you're going to be telling me the guy in the hard-on pill ads is gay or something. We've been lied to by our advertising campaigns!!!

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2012, 10:49:52 AM »
If the book comes out on April fools day it will be yesterday's news and completely forgotten by tax day. Tiger will be famous forever and Haney will be a footnote once the Golf Channel figures out that no one cares about how the latest Bachelor fares under big Hank's tutelage.

It was funny though to hear Brad's surprise that this was causing so much commotion...

Sean Leary

« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2012, 11:01:44 AM »
Tiger got outed, Arnie and MANY others didn't. Nuff said.

I am with George on this. Tiger's team did very little in showcasing him a family man. They just continued what was started when he was single.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2012, 11:28:58 AM »
There are plenty of loving, caring, husbands, fathers, that go to work each day where they behave as total scumbags...making decisions that actually cause physical injury, even death to others....so I don't think its far fetched to think Tiger might have been a very good family man but also one of those people that compartmentalize their life to keep one from bleeding into the other.  Believe me, if I came home from work each day and thought the drone I was piloting was killing innocent children...the same age as my own...I might have to question the value of my life.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back