News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Golf suggestions for Tyler or Longview Texas?
« on: March 20, 2012, 11:20:40 PM »
Is there any good quality golf, public or private in that area?

Thanks

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Golf suggestions for Tyler or Longview Texas?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 11:34:58 PM »
In that general area it begins and ends with Pine Dunes in Frankston TX.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,33839.0.html
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:37:18 PM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 11:39:36 PM »
Kyle is right, Pine Dunes it the way to go, but how far are you willing to drive?

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 10:55:24 AM »
Pine Dunes is a must...plus the extra distance for Whispering Pines...is soooo well worth the drive.
Not too far away is my home club Texarkana Country Club...   Langford/Moreau 1914...wonderful old style golf course.if you want to play there I can set that up for you.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 02:40:20 PM »
Is it close to Turtle Bay?  That's a fun and inexpensive course.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 07:13:50 PM »
Shoot I am having one of those aging moments. There is a great course right there that has been top 10 or so in Texas for a long time. It is better than any of the above with the only negative is the real estate development around it.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 07:34:05 PM »
Shoot I am having one of those aging moments. There is a great course right there that has been top 10 or so in Texas for a long time. It is better than any of the above with the only negative is the real estate development around it.

Crown Colony?

You must be aging if you prefer it to Pine Dunes ;)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 08:47:45 PM »
Kyle I have not played Pine Dunes yet. Ergo my mistake. i do prefer it to the others which I have played. I have a distain for real estate courses. So to speak so highly of it is rare praise for me.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 09:21:13 PM »
Longview CC has been owned and operated since the '60s by my uncle Buster (Cupit).  Not as famous as my uncle Jacky he still won a inch of tournaments in Texas, at least two Oklahoma Opens, played in several US Opens and had a top ten in a PGA. He also was runner-up to his brother Jacky who won the 1961 Canadian Open. All this as a club pro with a handicap child at home.

Anyway, Longview CC may be 6000 yards from the tips, has three or four bunkers and the
main hazard are oil derecks. Three wheel carts that may work, ham sandwiches on white bread made by my aunt Joyce early that morning and a clubhouse that will impress no one!

Course record is 55 (Buster) but one of his most impressive actions was shooting his age-on his 58th birthday. He's 83 and still aye three days a week. I can't teccomend per se but there is terrific barbecue down the street (ask my cousin Debbie the name) and after or perhaps with abunch of beer, it may kill a few hours. A true mom and pop long on hominess but short onarchitecture and conditioning. 99% would hate it though the"game" at noon everyday is a hoot. Jeans ate pretty much required.

A dump maybe to some but did I mention it's provided a living for over fifty years!

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 09:33:13 PM »
Kyle I have not played Pine Dunes yet. Ergo my mistake. i do prefer it to the others which I have played. I have a distain for real estate courses. So to speak so highly of it is rare praise for me.

I'll look forward to a road trip when you're back in the swing of things.

Crown Colony regressed their greens in the last year or two.  It is a TOUGH course!

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 10:26:51 PM »
Chris I played it a few times 20 years ago and had a lot of fun.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 10:31:07 PM »
Longview CC has been owned and operated since the '60s by my uncle Buster (Cupit).  Not as famous as my uncle Jacky he still won a inch of tournaments in Texas, at least two Oklahoma Opens, played in several US Opens and had a top ten in a PGA. He also was runner-up to his brother Jacky who won the 1961 Canadian Open. All this as a club pro with a handicap child at home.

Anyway, Longview CC may be 6000 yards from the tips, has three or four bunkers and the
main hazard are oil derecks. Three wheel carts that may work, ham sandwiches on white bread made by my aunt Joyce early that morning and a clubhouse that will impress no one!

Course record is 55 (Buster) but one of his most impressive actions was shooting his age-on his 58th birthday. He's 83 and still aye three days a week. I can't teccomend per se but there is terrific barbecue down the street (ask my cousin Debbie the name) and after or perhaps with abunch of beer, it may kill a few hours. A true mom and pop long on hominess but short onarchitecture and conditioning. 99% would hate it though the"game" at noon everyday is a hoot. Jeans ate pretty much required.

A dump maybe to some but did I mention it's provided a living for over fifty years!

Chris, just sounds just great, and perhaps a training ground or example for Rivermont?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 11:29:08 PM »

I'll look forward to a road trip when you're back in the swing of things.

Crown Colony regressed their greens in the last year or two.  It is a TOUGH course!

It's a better version of Walden, if you drive it well you can shoot a number but if you hit it in the wrong part of the fairway you have nothing. When I was there a few months ago it was in great shape.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 11:30:17 PM »
Chris,

Is Jacky still teaching at Links at Lands End?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 11:55:03 PM »
Is it close to Turtle Bay?  That's a fun and inexpensive course.

Do you mean Turtle Hill? If so it's not close.

Greg Clark

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 01:08:53 AM »
Joel,

If you don't have the time to drive, The Cascades is regarded as the best course in Tyler.  It is private, and has hosted the Texas State Open for the last several years.  I'm guessing many like it because there are a few views of Lake Bellwood on some of the holes, and thus it is "pretty".  It does have some good holes, but it has a very unelegant routing (to borrow a phrase from a golfing partner of mine), and I wasn't that fond of it.  That being said, it will certainly do in a pinch if you can't drive and can get on it.

Pine Dunes is vastly superior, and isn't that bad of a drive.  That would definitely be my choice.  I haven't played Texarkana CC, but have heard good things about it.  Furthermore, Michael knows his stuff.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back