News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Lozier

Re: Atlanta GCA Get Together?
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 02:59:24 PM »
Would love to join in...as a teacher and coach in the middle of soccer season, Sundays would be ideal for me!  Mac, I'd love to get another crack at Rivermont with a healthy back!

Cheers

Mike Hendren

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 10:14:02 AM »
Carson,  your mention of Ansley caused my head to ache immediately.  Back in the early 1980's I was in Atlanta for a fraternity brother's wedding.  Turns out The Swinging Medallions (for you beach music fans) were playing at some club in Buckhead that had a ferris wheel in side it (possible?).  That's about all I remember.  We stayed at my roommates' parents' house and his dad enthusiastically got us up at 7:00 a.m. to play Ansley.  We were not hung over but instead still intoxicated.  I think I launched my first two tee shots way right onto a street and it went downhill from there.  

If I recall the late Lewis Grizzard was a fixture in the men's grill at Ansley.

Back to the get together, I look forward to hearing more about it and plan to attend if scheduling permits.  

Bogey

Woke up this morning my head hurt so bad
It was the worst hangover that I ever had.
What happened to me last night
That girl of mine, she loved me so right.
She loved me so hard, she loved me so hard
I finally passed out in her front yard.
What was it - wine that I had too much of?
It was a double-shot of my baby's love.

Dougle-Shot
The Swinging Medallions
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:30:04 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John_Cullum

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 10:24:54 AM »
 Turns out The Swinging Medallions (for you beach music fans) were playing at some club in Buckhead that had a ferris wheel in side it (possible?).  

What was it that I had too much of?

Dougle-Shot
The Swinging Medallions

I remember that place, and the swinging medallions. In retrospect, neither was very good
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Anthony Gray

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 10:47:20 AM »

I think dinner the night before would be cool.

Anthony

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 11:09:20 AM »
Carson,  your mention of Ansley caused my head to ache immediately.  Back in the early 1980's I was in Atlanta for a fraternity brother's wedding.  Turns out The Swinging Medallions (for you beach music fans) were playing at some club in Buckhead that had a ferris wheel in side it (possible?).  That's about all I remember.  We stayed at my roommates' parents' house and his dad enthusiastically got us up at 7:00 a.m. to play Ansley.  We were not hung over but instead still intoxicated.  I think I launched my first two tee shots way right onto a street and it went downhill from there.  

Back to the get together, I look forward to hearing more about it and plan to attend if scheduling permits.  

Bogey

Dougle-Shot
The Swinging Medallions
Bogey,
         I know where the ferris wheel place was. However, in those days, we would have gone to The Gold Club.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »
Bruce, my mother was Baptist and therefore anti-dancing.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »

Bogey

Dougle-Shot
The Swinging Medallions

The course has changed a good bit since then.  There is a push by a good amount of members to make it the "best 9-hole course in America".  Personally, I think the design will hold it back, but I do believe it is now one of the best manicured courses in Atlanta.  They have converted to zoysia fairways and tees, champion bermuda greens and bright-white sand.  Plays fantastic.

Settindown is still my gem though.   ;)

Yes, yes, the late-great Mr Grizzard was a fixture at the club for most of his life.  I have played with some of the older members that were his friends.  Great stories!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back