News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Sander

"Native" vegetation at Streamsong and similar projects?
« on: February 12, 2013, 08:31:36 AM »
The photo of the dune-shrouded par 3 and something Tom Doak mentioned in one of the threads about it got me to wondering about how the plant life at a reclamation project like Streamsong differs from other, more typical (if 'typical' is even a thing any more) sites.

-Did any growing thing outside the turf need to be introduced into the environment, or was everything outside the mown areas there already?
-Was that vegetation truly naturally-occurring cover that came in and spread while man's hand was silent, or was it introduced as early remediation pre-golf?
-Was there anything so invasive or fast-spreading that it needed to be removed?
-From the photo, there look to be some taller and fuller green bits and some lower-lying browner bits, which to one eye may look magical and to another look a little junky; how much of that is intentional?

I've been fascinated by what I guess you could call the "soft" landscaping at non-traditional sites ever since the caddy who took me around Victoria National claimed that Fazio's team planted every blade, leaf, and stem as far as the eye could see.  Whether that's literally true, I couldn't say - but it did make me at times more interested in what lies off the fairway than what's on.

Thanks for any insight anyone may have.

-Scott

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:33:41 AM by Scott Sander »

Scott Sander

Re: "Native" vegetation at Streamsong and similar projects?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 08:32:22 AM »
-

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back