News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Kenilworth Resort in Sebring Fla. - John Van Kleek
« on: March 18, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
This article mentions Kenilworth Lodge and it's golf course, now NLE. John Van Kleek was the GCA and his brother Walter handled the resort's grounds. I've never heard of this course before and wondered if anyone knew any more about it.

The course itself:

None of it remains today, but you can see where part of it was from this google aerial. I rotated it 180* it so it would match the photo above. The small red box contains the lodge building and the large red box shows the remains of part of the course. Looks to be unused, with some hole corridors still visible. Wonder if it's for sale and ready to build 9 'new' JVK holes?   ;D

Edit: The lodge remains in existence, but last mention I found of the golf course was in the mid '60s.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:35:37 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

David Harshbarger

Re: Kenilworth Resort in Sebring Fla. - John Van Kleek
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 11:54:41 PM »
In 1934 they knew "championship course" was where to be if you were selling. Just saying....otoh must be emasculating to be a golf course marketeer to have to reuse the same tired tropes for 8 decades and counting.  Otooh, is "championship course" the Pavlovian Bell for golfers?  Ring it, and they will come?

On topic, pretty cool the corridors are still there in the always re-invented Florida sand.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

David Kelly

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:31:21 PM »
Sebring, which is in the middle of nowhere (and not that far from Streamsong) still has what they bill as the largest green in the world at the Cougar Trail course at Spring Lake Golf Resort - 47, 000 feet.  It's big...and uninteresting.

http://www.springlakegolf.com/golf.shtml
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 06:59:08 PM »
Wexler's Lost Links has a writeup on the NLE course on pages 138 and 139.

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back