News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Hyde

Orchard Lake renovation
« on: March 13, 2012, 09:31:31 AM »
Good news for a Colt/Alison course outside of Detroit. Foster did some excellent bunker work at my home course in 2006, he will do a wonderful job. Hopefully, they will fix the 9th hole!!

Orchard Lake Country Club Approves Major Golf Course Renovation
Golf Course Architect Keith Foster to Oversee the Project

ORCHARD LAKE, Mich., March 8, 2012--The members of Orchard Lake Country Club have approved a major renovation of its classic, rolling course originally designed by Harry S. Colt and Charles H. Alison.  Keith Foster, who only works on classic course renovations, has been retained to redesign the bunkers and recommend additional improvements that will bring the course up to current standards.

“Orchard Lake is a truly unique course with all the fantastic design elements that Colt and Alison brought to their projects,” stated Foster, who has worked on several Colt and Alison courses in his career.  “Our goal is to bring out all the greatness that Colt and Alison originally intended, while making the course fun to play for all levels of golfers and economically and ecologically sustainable.”

There are three key elements to the Orchard Lake renovation.  First and foremost is the reconstruction of all the sand bunkers on the course using state of the art drainage systems and materials.  “Keith Foster recently redesigned the bunkers at perennial PGA Tour stop Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, Texas,” said OLCC Green Superintendant Aaron McMaster.  “Colonial had serious infrastructure issues with their bunkers but, since the renovation, they rank among the best on tour and the drainage is so good they can be back in play within an hour of a heavy rain storm.  We expect to match that kind of performance.”

The second key element of the renovation is the resurfacing of all the greens with one of the latest strains of hybrid bent grass.  New bent grasses have been engineered to withstand the hot Midwest summers while also being much more resistant to disease.  These new surfaces will also allow Mr. McMaster and his crew to deliver consistent green speeds every day throughout the golf season and to use less water and fertilizer in the process.

The final element is the conversion of large areas, which are typically not in play, from Kentucky blue grass to tall fescue grasses.  The blue grass areas required significant water, fertilizer, and maintenance, while fescue requires virtually no water and limited fertilizer and maintenance.

“We are so proud of the Orchard Lake members,” said OLCC President Craig Valassis.  “They recognized that we had infrastructure issues with the golf course and they stepped up to not only fix those issues, but also create a course with improved playability, lower maintenance needs and a more ecologically responsible design.”

Early preparation for the project has already begun, but the work begins in earnest on July 31 when the golf course closes for the season.  The project team expects the course to re-open in late May or early June of 2013.

Brett Hochstein

Re: Orchard Lake renovation
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:00:40 AM »
I hope they meant "fescue that is tall" rather than "tall fescue." 

I will be interested to see how this turns out as I used to drive through there every day on my way to caddying at Franklin Hills.  Played nine holes once and enjoyed it but wasn't too crazy on the bunkers, mainly that they were barely visible from most places.  The land is really quite good with that medium sort of elevation change you find at other Oakland County Courses like Franklin, Oakland Hills, Bloomfield Hills, etc. 

I have never seen old pictures of the place.  I wonder what he is going to go for in terms of style for the bunkers.  Going off the few other Colt/C&A courses I have seen, it might be similar to what they already have with just a touch up to add a little character and visibility.
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Niall Hay

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 02:06:27 PM »
Bill, which course did Foster do in 2006?

Bill Hyde

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 04:12:23 PM »
CC of Detroit...he redid all of our bunkers. Subsequent work on greens and other areas by Renaissance in 2010. Hopefully we are done for awhile!!

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 07:35:40 PM »
CC of Detroit...he redid all of our bunkers. Subsequent work on greens and other areas by Renaissance in 2010. Hopefully we are done for awhile!!

Bill

I would be interested in seeing pix of CC of Detroit.  Its been a ton of years since I saw the place.  Is the club pleased with the work?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

George Freeman

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 08:00:41 PM »
This is great news!  Orchard Lake CC is a really neat golf course and I will be excited to see how it changes/improves after the renovation.

Bill, what's wrong with #9??
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Bill Hyde

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 09:51:52 PM »
Sean, I will try to get some pix up. My firm did a nice piece for the re-opening and there is a lot of nice photography. It may take a bit, as they all need to be converted from TIFs to smaller jpgs.

George, I love Orchard lake, but 9 is an awkward dogleg right par 5 with a short tee shot forced by a row of weeping willows on the inside. In my opinion, they need to harvest the trees and figure out how to make it a par 4 that puts driver back in your hand. It has a great green, just requires mini-golf off the tee.

Niall Hay

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 10:21:49 PM »
Are the CCD members pleased with the most recent changes? Will never understand removing the raised tee on 7. Bunkers no longer visible. 

As for OLCC the willows are on 8 aren't they? What do you suggest they do with the tee on 9 and the mounds at the corner? Why not extend the tee and keep it a par 5?

Niall Hay

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »

Why did they do work in 2010 and in 2006?

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »
8 is an exceptional short par-4, I hope it does not change.

9 has the most boring tee shot on the course, but the mounding on the inside of the dogleg and the bunkering short of and around the green make it a strong hole.

If I had to pick a weakest hole, I'd have to go with the 5th.

Exceptional set of par-3s.  Very good terrain for golf. 

Orchard Lake is very good as is... hopefully the changes will make it even better!

Bill Hyde

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 10:50:17 PM »
Niall:

The membership loves the changes at CCD. The greens are far more interesting, we eliminated a number of trees that were extraneous and impeding turf health, and we created a new 17th green. In addition, the relocation of tees on 13 and 18 put them both in far better locations. I happen to love the removal of the raised tee on 7. It eliminated the old one from the eyeline on 6 and creates a little more visual interest being low given our lack of elevation change on the course. My one regret there is that we do not have a suitable middle tee. It is too short from the new middle tee for regular play as the bunker is easily cleared. I promise a more robust analysis when I have pics to help tell the story. We did work in 2006 to reposition bunkers and restore them to a more apt style for a Colt/Alison (mainly Alison) course. They had been altered over the years, primarily by RTJ in 1953. In 2009, we encountered serious turf issues on our greens due to a number of factors and we had the choice of radical coring and filling for several years or rebuilding. We are glad we did the latter and were very fortunate that Renaissance was available.

Niall Hay

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 10:53:03 PM »
8 is an exceptional short par-4, I hope it does not change.

9 has the most boring tee shot on the course, but the mounding on the inside of the dogleg and the bunkering short of and around the green make it a strong hole.

If I had to pick a weakest hole, I'd have to go with the 5th.

Exceptional set of par-3s.  Very good terrain for golf. 

Orchard Lake is very good as is... hopefully the changes will make it even better!

Mark, agreed on # 8. Great hole.  Rumor has it a former club president at OLCC asked his ashes be scattered on that wonderful hole.

Why 5? Just a long par 4?

Great par 3's is right.  Lots of variation in distance and design.

Hearing the changes will make it an even better course and even more enjoyable round!

Niall Hay

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 10:58:37 PM »
Bill, how do you compare OLCC to CCD? Both great. Both C&A. Biggest difference seems the land and the elevation changes. Thoughts?

Agreed its great to get Doak and Co. With the changes to OLCC I'm hearing it will be hard to beat in the area. It's already a ton of fun. 

Thanks for sharing and look forward to any pictures you can share.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »
Niall,

Nothing offensive about 5, just not much there.  Long, hard straightaway par-4 along the boundary.  Most boring terrain on the course.  IIRC one of the less interesting greens too.

Niall Hay

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 11:13:59 PM »
Makes sense. Most either love that hole or hate it. It certainly isn't one of the "unique" holes on the course. Any other insight? Favorites? This is not a course that gets mentioned much on this site. 

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 11:18:40 PM »
Niall, I'm about to start a photo tour...

Niall Hay

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 11:23:27 PM »
Awesome.  Thanks! Which are your favorite holes and what are the best characteristics of of the course? Design strength?

Niall Hay

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 10:26:56 AM »
Niall:

The membership loves the changes at CCD. The greens are far more interesting, we eliminated a number of trees that were extraneous and impeding turf health, and we created a new 17th green. In addition, the relocation of tees on 13 and 18 put them both in far better locations. I happen to love the removal of the raised tee on 7. It eliminated the old one from the eyeline on 6 and creates a little more visual interest being low given our lack of elevation change on the course. My one regret there is that we do not have a suitable middle tee. It is too short from the new middle tee for regular play as the bunker is easily cleared. I promise a more robust analysis when I have pics to help tell the story. We did work in 2006 to reposition bunkers and restore them to a more apt style for a Colt/Alison (mainly Alison) course. They had been altered over the years, primarily by RTJ in 1953. In 2009, we encountered serious turf issues on our greens due to a number of factors and we had the choice of radical coring and filling for several years or rebuilding. We are glad we did the latter and were very fortunate that Renaissance was available.

Do you find that the CCD renovation made the course better or the changes were made because they had to be?

Niall Hay

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 10:23:41 PM »
Course closes at the end of the month. This Sunday is the last day of real play as they shut it down soon.  Will be interesting to see the end product next year.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »
Course closes at the end of the month. This Sunday is the last day of real play as they shut it down soon.  Will be interesting to see the end product next year.

Thanks Niall.  If possible please keep us posted as work progresses.

Niall Hay

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 10:35:10 PM »
We'll have to get OLCC Green Superintendant Aaron McMaster to give us the play by play....

Niall Hay

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 03:28:33 PM »
Orchard Lake's Restored Golf Course Will Open
Saturday June 8, 2013
After close consultation with Michigan State's world-renowned Turfgrass Professor Trey Rogers and Superintendent Aaron McMaster, OLCC's magnificent Captain Hugh Alison designed
golf course, restored by architect Keith Foster, will open to play on Saturday June 8, 2013.

Niall Hay

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 03:30:30 PM »

Thanks Niall.  If possible please keep us posted as work progresses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xieu0bm3Gfg&feature=em-share_video_user

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back